Help! I Think My Leather Saddle Has Turned On Me...

Old April 21st 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Help! I Think My Leather Saddle Has Turned On Me...

In article ,
Steve Sr. wrote:

Hello,

After about 5 years of nearly continuous use I think my Lepper Voyager
leather saddle has turned on me. I have noticed it recently as the
weather has changed and I am now perspiring more.

What is happening is that the saddle is good for about the first hour
and then as it picks up perspiration it expands and then becomes
uncomfortable. I end up being supported by the leather saddle and the
metal frame which leads to chafing.

I have recently tightened the nose screw about 2 turns which seems to
help initially but towards the end of my lunch time ride it seems
almost as bad as before. Should I tighten it even more? How much is
too tight?

This saddle has never been ridden uncovered in the rain and has always
been proofhided on a regular basis. It seems now that it just picks up
moisture and looses shape. Is there anything I can do to keep this
from happening or is this a sign that the saddle is toast?

Punch holes along the lower margin of the leather between
the nose and the flare. Reeve some small stuff between the
holes on the two sides. This will increase the support.
Look for pictures and further instructions on the web.
Hope it works out for you.

--
Michael Press
Old April 21st 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Sr. wrote:

[...]

Like this for example http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html
I had to do this to a Brooks Saddle after it started to sag too much.

Old April 27th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Steve Sr. wrote:

I have recently tightened the nose screw about 2 turns which seems to
help initially but towards the end of my lunch time ride it seems
almost as bad as before. Should I tighten it even more? How much is
too tight?

I've always heard that you barely (or don't) touch the adjuster
screw for the saddle tensioner.

A couple years ago, my 10 year old Brooks was sagging to the point
it's comfort had fallen off on longer rides. I decided I had
nothing to lose, so I tensioned the saddle.

I ended up extending the adjuster about 3/8th inch which is
usually considered *a lot*!

Worked great and still working great 2 years later.

Don't know how much difference there is between your saddle
and my Brooks, but I'd try going the tension route. Try a bit...
ride...tension some more...ride, etc.

I think it is definitely true that over-tensioning will destroy
the saddle, so go in small increments over a period of time.

SMH