Belated Tour of California comments

Old May 1st 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Belated Tour of California comments

Bob Roll described the Redondo Beach finishing circuit as dead flat.
Maybe to the mutant alien (complement) pro riders it is but there's a
brutish hill of maybe 10-12% at the South end of the circuit that is a
real grinder for the rest of us. I climb this at maybe 12mph and pass
some road riders. The pros climbed it at 22 in the big ring without a
bit of strain until the last lap when the pace hotted up a bit.
Another reminder of how special they are compared to mere mortals.

My other comment is kind of a funny, I watched the last couple of
laps on PV Drive which was closed to uphill traffic for the race. A
gentleman, of say, well if I was fitting him for a bike I'd suggest
the one with 3" tires, drove up on the cross street Calle Mayor and
wanted to turn up hill. The Police stopped him and suggested an
alternate route. He said no it was very important he be allowed to go
up the road and he appealed to the Police Commander. When told no,
the road was closed for the bicycle race he announced to everyone that
this situation sucked so the 500 spectators at that spot booed him
really loudly. To which he replied that we all ought to go home.
Without cue, we then responded we are home asshole, you go away.
Priceless.