Difference between cyclocross and 29 inch mtb?

Old January 22nd 04, 12:03 PM
Chris Hansen

Default Difference between cyclocross and 29 inch mtb?

Hello,

The two types of bikes I'm considering buying is a cyclocross and a 29
inch mountain bike with a rigid fork. I was wondering, besides the
handlebars, how are they different assuming similar tires and gearing?

If you put road tires on the mountain bike and maybe aero bars it
should be fine on the road shouldn't it, maybe little heavy?

Can you think of any pros or cons for each? I haven't decided yet if I
like the drop handlebars and I like the triple chainring that most
cross bikes don't seem to have.

Thanks.
Old January 22nd 04, 04:17 PM

In article ,
Chris Hansen wrote:
Hello,

The two types of bikes I'm considering buying is a cyclocross and a 29
inch mountain bike with a rigid fork. I was wondering, besides the
handlebars, how are they different assuming similar tires and gearing?

_ Take a look a the Surly Cross Check and the Karate Monkey. The
big difference is length of the back chain stays. This makes a
difference in climbing steep trails, on the Cross check you
have to stay seated to keep traction on the back wheel. On
a shorter stay bike like the KM, you can stand up while climbing
and still keep traction.

If you put road tires on the mountain bike and maybe aero bars it
should be fine on the road shouldn't it, maybe little heavy?

_ Definitely heavy and probably not as much fun on long rides.
The short back chainstays will make the ride somewhat harsher.
Handling might be a little tricky if you're into fast road
descents. Dirt Rag magazine had an online review of the Karate
Monkey you might find useful reading.

Can you think of any pros or cons for each? I haven't decided yet if I
like the drop handlebars and I like the triple chainring that most
cross bikes don't seem to have.

_ The chainring can be easily fixed. The cross-check comes with a
triple crank, it just doesn't have the 3rd ring installed. You
can also put flat bars on most Cross bikes, but that's extra
money. I have my Cross Check setup so I can switch between
flat bars and drops in about 5 minutes.

_ Doing dirt descents with drop bars is tricky, particularly if
the drop bars are excessively low.

_ Lastly, I'd say get a cross bike if you're interested in
long road rides, get the 29'er if you interested in
more technical dirt rides. For dirt/fire roads it's a toss
up.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old January 22nd 04, 06:06 PM
Rocketman

"Chris Hansen" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

The two types of bikes I'm considering buying is a cyclocross and a 29
inch mountain bike with a rigid fork. I was wondering, besides the
handlebars, how are they different assuming similar tires and gearing?

Which cyclocross and which 29'er are you considering? Let me guess: The
Trek X-01 and the Fisher X-caliber. Am I close?

If you put road tires on the mountain bike and maybe aero bars it
should be fine on the road shouldn't it, maybe little heavy?

Yeah, the 29'er will be heavier. Swapping the fatties for skinny tires will
drop a bunch of weight, though. You'll notice.

It may steer like a cow, too, since the 29'er geometry is set up for big,
fat tires. Putting skinny tires on it will alter the fork's "trail", which
noticeably affects handling feel. It will ride OK - not unstable or
anything - but it will feel strange. Also, since virtually all MTB's have at
least 4" travel shock forks these days, you are very likely to notice some
pogo-ing in the front end, which does eat pedaling energy. You'll notice
that, too.

Of course, it's entirely possible that your bike will be specifically
designed to handle well with either fat knobbies or skinny street tires.
It's possible to "split the difference" at design time. Test ride the bike
with skinny tires and fat tires before you buy it, or buy it from a shop
that allows returns. If you're lucky, the bike will even have a lockout for
the shock fork, essentially converting it to a rigid fork at the flip of a
switch. It's a very nice feature. (Some Manitou forks can be upgraded by
adding a fork lockout switch.)

Can you think of any pros or cons for each? I haven't decided yet if I
like the drop handlebars and I like the triple chainring that most
cross bikes don't seem to have.

Hmm. You don't mention anything about off-road riding. Can I assume that
most of your riding is on the road? If so, then go with the cyclocross
bike.

Tell us more about how you ride and where you ride so we can offer better
advice.

Rocketman

Old January 23rd 04, 12:12 PM
Chris Hansen

Which cyclocross and which 29'er are you considering? Let me guess: The
Trek X-01 and the Fisher X-caliber. Am I close?

I test rode the karate monkey. It was faster, smoother and nimbler
than I am used to. I was also looking at a couple of cross bikes
including the LeMond PoPrad, the Bianchi Axis and the Surly Cross
Check but haven't had a chance to test ride them.

Hmm. You don't mention anything about off-road riding. Can I assume that
most of your riding is on the road?

Tell us more about how you ride and where you ride so we can offer better
advice.

Rocketman

I also like to go off-road riding. I didn't mention it because I
figured the mountain bike would be fine off road and the cross bike
maybe a little less at home.

I talked to a guy at a shop yesterday that offered to build me a
karate monkey with a rigid fork and also road tires and aero
handlebars for longer road rides. With fat tires and different
handlebars it should be good for off-road and general commuting.

I'm excited about this bike but I would value people's input.

Thanks.
Old January 23rd 04, 05:29 PM

In article ,
Chris Hansen wrote:
[...]

_ I've never heard anything bad about a Karate Monkey. I think
if I could have demo'd one I probably would have bought it.
All the 29'ers I tried had suspension forks which are IMHO
too much of a compromise for road riding. I bought a Surly
Cross Check, either way I'll think you'll be happy.

_ Check out this article

http://www.dirtragmag.com/articles/a...int.php?ID=592

So far the Cross Check does just fine on everything I
want to ride off road. It does require a bit more
finness both up and down, but I love blasting along
fire roads...

_ Booker C. Bense

Old January 25th 04, 01:11 AM
Jason M.

- wheel and tire selection is probably still limited for 29inch wheels
- you can put any handlebars and stem combo on the bike that you wish.
In fact, you should customize this setup, as fit is so important.
- the 29" wheeled mtn bike with road tires, rigid forks should be very
close in weight to a cyclocross bike. Big difference is component
selection, and frame material weight. More $$$ gets you a lighter
bike.
- try to simplify and use a 2 chainring setup up. Get a larger
cluster in back if you need more range, or a smaller ring in front.
Try going to 1 ring in front. Simple, no front deraileur. You aint
gonna use 21 gears anyway. Chain cross wears out the chain anyway.
You only "need" about 4-6 gears anyway. Unless you are racing.

recommended bikes:
Surly Karate Monkey
Surly Cross Check
Lemond Poprad
Independent Fabrications Planet X (cross bike...high dollar, but
sweet)

Steel frame is gonna be more comfortable than a spine rattling
aluminum frame.

cyclocross Gazoo General 1 August 28th 03 02:14 AM
Cyclocross checklist Drew Cutter General 3 July 12th 03 05:23 AM