Safety first !

Old May 17th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Default Safety first !

Should we now expect that there will be no finish on the Champs Élysées ??
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old May 18th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Sandy" wrote in message
Should we now expect that there will be no finish on the Champs
Élysées ??
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

I'm pretty sure that, despite using some of the most-utilized streets in
Paris, you will find no parked cars on the course once it enters the
city.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 18th 09, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tuschinski

On May 18, 1:41*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
"Sandy" wrote in message

Should we now expect that there will be no finish on the Champs
Élysées ??
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine *FR

I'm pretty sure that, despite using some of the most-utilized streets in
Paris, you will find no parked cars on the course once it enters the
city.

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

And don't forget boarding and policemen.

The comparison is flawed.
Old May 18th 09, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:08:35 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

Should we now expect that there will be no finish on the Champs Élysées ??
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Well, that Arc thing looks old, like it could fall or something.
Old May 18th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

wrote in message
On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:08:35 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

Should we now expect that there will be no finish on the Champs Élysées ??
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Well, that Arc thing looks old, like it could fall or something.

Well, it amuses me that guys who like to ride the 50cm gutter on the Champs,
where a pedal strike is avoided by millimetres, worry about immobile parked
cars. Seems that the last 4 laps didn't uncover animated lamposts bending
over and swooping up racers. There were many more stupidities in the
finishing 2 km of the previous stage, and they all got through that briskly.

What they got was an extra half rest day.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old May 18th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 17, 7:08*am, "Sandy" wrote:
Should we now expect that there will be no finish on the Champs Élysées ??
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine *FR
--
Il n'est aucune sorte de sensation qui soit plus vive
que celle de la douleur ; ses impressions sont sûres,
elles ne trompent point comme celles du plaisir.
- de Sade.

Perhaps the racers detect a difference between zooming around a broad
avenue on the last stage of a Tour whose placings have already been
decided, and hurtling along a winding course through busy and
obstructed city streets when the Giro still has two weeks left to go.
Old May 18th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message

Perhaps the racers detect a difference between zooming around a broad
avenue on the last stage of a Tour whose placings have already been
decided, and hurtling along a winding course through busy and
obstructed city streets when the Giro still has two weeks left to go.

Please, no common sense.

Old May 18th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

wrote in message
On May 17, 7:08 am, "Sandy" wrote:
Should we now expect that there will be no finish on the Champs Élysées
??
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR
Il n'est aucune sorte de sensation qui soit plus vive
que celle de la douleur ; ses impressions sont sûres,
elles ne trompent point comme celles du plaisir.
- de Sade.

Perhaps the racers detect a difference between zooming around a broad
avenue on the last stage of a Tour whose placings have already been
decided, and hurtling along a winding course through busy and
obstructed city streets when the Giro still has two weeks left to go.

If the word busy is used, just how busy was it in the same direction on the
same road as the cyclists?
If the word winding is used, should they just race up and down airport
runways?
Come on! Neither element was in place. I think they were actually reacting
retroactively against the finish of the day before. That was a real mess,
with several places where a real and dangerous funnel effect was in play.
Can you how me where these impediments vanished in the last 4 laps?
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old May 18th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Sandy wrote:
Come on! Neither element was in place. I think they were actually
reacting retroactively against the finish of the day before. That was a
real mess, with several places where a real and dangerous funnel effect
was in play. Can you how me where these impediments vanished in the last 4
laps?

Its all the fault of the girlfriends or fatty masters again:

"This circuit required explosive bursts. It required riders to get their
butts up off the seats of their bikes, and some riders who are not so
young anymore apparently don't feel like doing that," Zomegnan told the
Associated Press. "Instead, it seems like their legs have become shorter
and their tongues longer."
When asked if he was referring to Lance Armstrong, Zomegnan refused to
specifically name the rider who the race had invested so heavily in
attracting as the culprit. "I never name people who have disappointed me,
just like I don't name girlfriends that have snubbed me."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/may09/may18news2
Old May 18th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 18, 2:49*pm, Donald Munro wrote:
Sandy wrote:
[...]

People bemoan the lack of a strong cycling union, then when the riders
spontaneously unite to protest what they considered an unsafe course
people bitch about that too. I don't understand how the guys in the
race could determine that the course was dangerous. How? Just from
riding it? Tom Kunich's opinion - formulated as he sat in his living
room sprawled on his couch with his hand down his pants - is obviously
a more valuable opinion...unless Chris Horner says otherwise.

safety question Adam Lea[_2_] UK 19 May 31st 09 07:40 PM
Cycle safety fisher UK 57 March 4th 07 07:32 PM
Baloons as a safety aid? Will Cove UK 14 January 14th 07 09:22 AM
what safety gear... e39m5 Unicycling 13 June 6th 05 01:34 AM
Safety in Numbers. Simon Mason UK 11 April 23rd 05 09:34 PM