Shimano MTB Shifter - Stripped Thread Repair?

Old October 3rd 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Sr.

Default Shimano MTB Shifter - Stripped Thread Repair?

Hello,

I have an 1992 vintage MTB that uses a Shimano Rapidfire brake
lever/integrated shifter. The threads in the shifter that hold it to
the brake lever have become stripped and no longer hold. The shifter
is Deore DX group. I believe that the shift lever is model ST-M070 or
071 for the front der.

It appears that this was a suspected issue as Shimano appears to have
put some type of heilicoil liner inside of the shifter to strengthen
the bite in the shifter. I believe a piece of this broke when the
original locktite failed to release upon removal of the attaching
bolt. I suspect that this problem may have been a common one with
these shifters.

Repair Options?

1. Find a real metric heilicoil and install it. Do they even make
metric heilicoils this size and where do I find one?

2. Use some form of Locktite thread former. Would it be strong enough?
Suggestions for a specific product?

3. Glue it back together with J-B Weld and hope that it holds and
never has to be removed again.

4. Anyone happen to have one of these in their junk box that they
would be willing to part with for a reasonable price?

5. Are there other compatible shifters that would fit on these levers
or would I have to replace the whole assembly?

Thanks,

Steve
Old October 3rd 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 2, 10:39*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I have an 1992 vintage MTB that uses a Shimano Rapidfire brake
lever/integrated shifter. The threads in the shifter that hold it to
the brake lever have become stripped and no longer hold. ...

Repair Options?

1. Find a real metric heilicoil and install it. Do they even make
metric heilicoils this size and where do I find one?

Yes, they make them. I've bought them in the past.

Search online. Try Google.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 3rd 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On Oct 2, 10:39*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I have an 1992 vintage MTB that uses a Shimano Rapidfire brake
lever/integrated shifter. The threads in the shifter that hold it to
the brake lever have become stripped and no longer hold. The shifter
is Deore DX group. I believe that the shift lever is model ST-M070 *or
071 for the front der.

It appears that this was a suspected issue as Shimano appears to have
put some type of heilicoil liner inside of the shifter to strengthen
the bite in the shifter. I believe a piece of this broke when the
original locktite failed to release upon removal of the attaching
bolt. *I suspect that this problem may have been a common one with
these shifters.

Repair Options?

Replace it (with a new model), they're cheap.
Old October 3rd 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 3, 9:32*am, Peter Cole wrote:
On Oct 2, 10:39*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:

Hello,

I have an 1992 vintage MTB that uses a Shimano Rapidfire brake
lever/integrated shifter. The threads in the shifter that hold it to
the brake lever have become stripped and no longer hold. The shifter
is Deore DX group. I believe that the shift lever is model ST-M070 *or
071 for the front der.

It appears that this was a suspected issue as Shimano appears to have
put some type of heilicoil liner inside of the shifter to strengthen
the bite in the shifter. I believe a piece of this broke when the
original locktite failed to release upon removal of the attaching
bolt. *I suspect that this problem may have been a common one with
these shifters.

Repair Options?

Replace it (with a new model), they're cheap.

Well, that's probably what Shimano had in mind...

But should we really pitch every little thing that goes bad, with no
thought of repair??

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 3rd 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
notme

But should we really pitch every little thing that goes bad, with no
thought of repair??

THIS IS AMERIKA, DAMMITALL! YES!!!

Old October 3rd 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
[...]

Only cars and power tools, right?

nate

(yes, I am busting your balls a little, but I'm really not trying to be
a jerk... just honestly confused as to why you think of some things one
way and other things another...)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 3rd 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 13:04:37 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Dear Frank,

It's tempting to keep broken stuff with the vague hope that it might
fixable.

But junk quickly fills all available space.

Look around and see if you have a single empty drawer or shelf.

If you can't find one, you may enjoy reading this:
http://www.amazon.com/Clutters-Last-.../dp/0898791375

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 4th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
notme

It's tempting to keep broken stuff with the vague hope that it might
fixable.

That's not what he said.

Fix it rather than buy a replacement. Hence no collection of "junk".

Old October 4th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:03:43 -0700, notme wrote:

It's tempting to keep broken stuff with the vague hope that it might
fixable.

That's not what he said.

Fix it rather than buy a replacement. Hence no collection of "junk".

Dear NM,

Junk is often more interesting to post about than it is to fix.

Let's watch this thread and see if the original poster fixes his piece
of junk.

So far, that's what it sounds like--a commonplace piece of bicycle
equipment whose poor original design led to stripped threads and left
it a piece of junk not worth fixing.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel