"Councils, expect to be sued"

Old December 21st 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Jens Müller[_3_]

Default "Councils, expect to be sued"

http://www.kommunen-in-nrw.de/mitgli...ahrenlage.html

"Aus kommunaler Sicht ist nach dem Urteil mit vermehrten Initiativen
oder sogar Klagen zur Aufhebung der Benutzungspflicht zu rechnen. Dem
können die Straßenverkehrsbehörden vorbeugen, indem sie die
Benutzungspflicht prüfen und gegebenenfalls statt Radwege
Radfahrstreifen oder Schutzstreifen gemäß VwV-StVO zu § 2 StVO anlegen."

"From the perspective of councils, after the judgement (of the German
Federal Administrative Court) we have to expect increased initiatives or
even lawsuits to have usage obligations (for cycleways) removed. Traffic
authorities can prevent this by reconsidering usage obligations and, if
applicable, creating cycle lanes or [so-called "protective lanes", hard
to translate ...] according to the Administrative Regulations regarding
§ 2 Highway Code."

Not a perfect solution, but they are starting to sense the increased
pressure.

Gruß Jens
Old December 22nd 10, 06:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Opus[_2_]

On Dec 21, 5:09*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
snip
Why is German such a ****ed up language? I have read many of the German
poets and novelists (in English translations of course) and have marveled at
the intelligence of them. I have also read many of the German philosophers
(in English translations of course) and have marveled at how muddled they
seem to be. I attribute this to the accursed German language.

I advise that Germans everywhere forsake their muddled language and adopt
the English language forthwith. After all, it is pretty much the universal
language of commerce and the Internet. I attribute half the problems of
Europe to all the freaking languages that blight that continent. My God, go
a few miles anywhere on that continent and you are confronted by a different
language. **** that nonsense! Go English or get lost is the admonition of Ed
Dolan the Great.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

German is what today's English would be if the Germanic tribes that
invaded England had been better at repelling the Romans, Normans,
Gauls, Vikings and Goddess knows who else invaded after them. American
English is the result of applying those centuries of pulling things
out of invaders' languages and reversing the process to name animals
and plant life they had not seen on Europe. At one time French was the
universal language of Europe, as shown by the use of the phrase
"lingua franca" for universal language. One of the things that makes
English so hard to learn is the fact that we borrowed so many words
from other languages that our spelling rules are more spelling
suggestions with thousands of exceptions to almost every rule. So Ed,
leave the Germans alone and find something else to grouse about, like
corporations taking over the government.
Old December 22nd 10, 06:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
JNugent[_7_]

On 22/12/2010 17:13, Opus wrote:

At one time French was the universal language of Europe,

When was that?

as shown by the use of the phrase "lingua franca" for universal language.

No.
Old December 23rd 10, 01:10 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Keller

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:13:16 -0800, Opus wrote:

On Dec 21, 5:09Â*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Yes, Old English is very like Modern German.
English changed mightily after the Norman Conquest, when Norman French
became the language of the "upper crust", leaving English to be carried
on by the peasants and serfs. Of course French influenced this English a
lot, and many of the old inflections etc were lost.
Then came Geoffrey Chaucer ....

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old December 23rd 10, 11:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

Old December 24th 10, 05:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Keller

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:09:11 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Here's an attempt at English without the loanwords:
http://anglish.wikia.com/

Very interesting!

- --

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old December 24th 10, 05:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Peter Keller" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:09:11 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Here's an attempt at English without the loanwords:
http://anglish.wikia.com/

Very interesting!

I say thank God for the Norman conquest. What right did the Anglo-Saxons
have to England. After all, it was the homeland of the Britons, a Celtic
people, the same as existed in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Everything went
wrong with the Roman conquest of the Island many centuries earlier. Damn
those Romans anyhow!

As much as I hate the English for what they did to Ireland I am nevertheless
a great fan of Queen Boadicea.

Old December 24th 10, 11:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Keller

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:50:05 -0600, Edward Dolan wrote:

Very interesting!

I say thank God for the Norman conquest. What right did the Anglo-Saxons
have to England. After all, it was the homeland of the Britons, a Celtic
people, the same as existed in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Everything
went wrong with the Roman conquest of the Island many centuries earlier.
Damn those Romans anyhow!

As much as I hate the English for what they did to Ireland I am
nevertheless a great fan of Queen Boadicea.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

The homeland of the Celts was the near the western shores of the Black
Sea.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old December 24th 10, 09:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Chris[_9_]

On 22/12/2010 17:13, Opus wrote:
On Dec 21, 5:09 pm, "Edward wrote:
[...]

You forget that the Saxons came after the Romans and English came from
the mixing of German and Ancient British. The Vikings or more correctly
named Norsemen added some Danish and the Normans French although later
they dropped it when they worked out the French mocked their use of the
language.

--
Chris
Old December 25th 10, 04:17 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Peter Keller" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:50:05 -0600, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
I say thank God for the Norman conquest. What right did the Anglo-Saxons
have to England. After all, it was the homeland of the Britons, a Celtic
people, the same as existed in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Everything
went wrong with the Roman conquest of the Island many centuries earlier.
Damn those Romans anyhow!

As much as I hate the English for what they did to Ireland I am
nevertheless a great fan of Queen Boadicea.

The homeland of the Celts was the near the western shores of the Black
Sea.

Did not know that! It seems many European peoples came originally from the
Steppes of Central Asia.

Not all that much is known about the Celts. They have almost vanished from
the face of the earth. The last stronghold of the Celts were the Irish. They
probably had more to do with preserving Civilization during the Dark Ages
than any other people.