OT : Help - very specific tool required

Old April 24th 13, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default OT : Help - very specific tool required

My friend has what I believe is known as an "Auto centre punch". It doesn't
require a hammer to make the punched hole.

I have a very specific requirement for punching single holes through pieces of
rubber. The diameter of the hole is not important - as long as I can make the
hole very quickly with the minimum of fuss. Something like : apply tool to
rubber item - press hard - hole made.

Does the team think that an "Auto centre punch" would do the job? Do you think
I could sharpen the point to make it more needle like - but it still do its
job. I don't want to use it just once or twice; but need to use it on a very
regular basis.

(Apologies for making the post in the cycling newsgroup - but I know that some
people here have many good ideas - much lateral thinking)
Old April 24th 13, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Help - very specific tool required

Judith wrote:
My friend has what I believe is known as an "Auto centre punch". It
doesn't require a hammer to make the punched hole.

I have a very specific requirement for punching single holes through
pieces of rubber. The diameter of the hole is not important - as
long as I can make the hole very quickly with the minimum of fuss.
Something like : apply tool to rubber item - press hard - hole made.

Does the team think that an "Auto centre punch" would do the job? Do
you think I could sharpen the point to make it more needle like - but
it still do its job. I don't want to use it just once or twice; but
need to use it on a very regular basis.

(Apologies for making the post in the cycling newsgroup - but I know
that some people here have many good ideas - much lateral thinking)

No, it would not do the job, an auto centre punch requires to be pressed
against a solid object in order to work, even if the rubber was backed by
heavy steel it is unlikely to penetrate rubber unless it was very thin. A
dart on the end of a stick would probably do what you require.

Old April 24th 13, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 24/04/2013 19:59, Judith wrote:

My friend has what I believe is known as an "Auto centre punch". It doesn't
require a hammer to make the punched hole.

I have a very specific requirement for punching single holes through pieces of
rubber. The diameter of the hole is not important - as long as I can make the
hole very quickly with the minimum of fuss. Something like : apply tool to
rubber item - press hard - hole made.

Does the team think that an "Auto centre punch" would do the job? Do you think
I could sharpen the point to make it more needle like - but it still do its
job. I don't want to use it just once or twice; but need to use it on a very
regular basis.

(Apologies for making the post in the cycling newsgroup - but I know that some
people here have many good ideas - much lateral thinking)

Hmmm...

What ARE you thinking of doing?
Old April 24th 13, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 24/04/2013 20:42, Mrcheerful wrote:

Judith wrote:

[...]

Don't tyre retailers often have a long, thin, sharp but tube-type
implement which they use to stab old tyres in order to deflate them
before removing for replacement and scrapping?

I expect it would work more easily (and with less effort) with some
sorts of tyre than it would with others.
Old April 24th 13, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Judith wrote:
[...]

Mr C is right, they need resistance.

Can I suggest a battery/gas nail gun like the Paslode?

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old April 24th 13, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Apr 24, 8:48*pm, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Maybe this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdeHk3CjgB0
Old April 24th 13, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex

Judith wrote:
[...]

Why pay close on £500 for your suggestion, though, when a dart on the
end of a stick would probably do what is required?

--
Alexis
"The purpose of our lives is to be happy." - Dalai Lama
Old April 24th 13, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
nik.morgan[_2_]

Judith wrote:
[...]

When you say punch do you need to have a section of rubber removed leaving
a circular measurable hole or do you just need a stab wound like a
puncture? Different tools would be required for each.
--
ennemm
Old April 24th 13, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Judith wrote:
[...]

That's Dave for you. A bladder on the end of a stick would do for him.
Old April 24th 13, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Judith wrote:
[...]

I assume that Judith is just having a wank, and this is what she
wants:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi6QGys7Ns0

Ahhh, release! Better now.