Leather saddle.

Old February 10th 16, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default Leather saddle.

Among the clutter in my garage, I found a pretty old leather saddle.

It was very comfortable - until the leather stretched and collapsed onto the
steel bit.

Is there a leather workers trick for shrinking leather?

There's an adjuster under the pointy end, but the nut just turns and doesn't
seem to do much - probably stripped thread.

Thanks for any help.

Old February 10th 16, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/10/2016 1:48 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Among the clutter in my garage, I found a pretty old leather
saddle.

It was very comfortable - until the leather stretched and
collapsed onto the steel bit.

Is there a leather workers trick for shrinking leather?

There's an adjuster under the pointy end, but the nut just
turns and doesn't seem to do much - probably stripped thread.

Thanks for any help.

short answer = no.

In theory, you could have a new leather top fabricated and
riveted in, along with a new tension nut and/or bolt.

In practice,a new Brooks saddle is cheaper.

With moderate and regular use of Proofhide, the leather will
stay supple without stretching. Riding a leather saddle wet
is often fatal, they just pull themselves apart. A plastic
bag for rainy days is prudent. Oh, and don't overdo that
tension adjustment.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 10th 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 2/10/2016 1:48 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Among the clutter in my garage, I found a pretty old leather
saddle.

It was very comfortable - until the leather stretched and
collapsed onto the steel bit.

Is there a leather workers trick for shrinking leather?

There's an adjuster under the pointy end, but the nut just
turns and doesn't seem to do much - probably stripped thread.

Thanks for any help.

short answer = no.

In theory, you could have a new leather top fabricated and riveted in,
along with a new tension nut and/or bolt.

In practice,a new Brooks saddle is cheaper.

With moderate and regular use of Proofhide, the leather will stay supple
without stretching. Riding a leather saddle wet is often fatal,

Maybe a leather saddle is not for me.

There was also a padded plastic saddle under the clutter - that ones
comfortable too.

Old February 11th 16, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:48:25 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Among the clutter in my garage, I found a pretty old leather saddle.

It was very comfortable - until the leather stretched and collapsed onto the
steel bit.

Is there a leather workers trick for shrinking leather?

There's an adjuster under the pointy end, but the nut just turns and doesn't
seem to do much - probably stripped thread.

Thanks for any help.

If you are really, truly, interested in repairing your leather saddle
you might read
http://www.instructables.com/id/repl...brooks-saddle/
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 11th 16, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
aop64490

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:48:25 +0000, Ian Field wrote:

Among the clutter in my garage, I found a pretty old leather saddle.

It was very comfortable - until the leather stretched and collapsed onto
the steel bit.

Is there a leather workers trick for shrinking leather?

There's an adjuster under the pointy end, but the nut just turns and
doesn't seem to do much - probably stripped thread.

Thanks for any help.

If the leather isn't split you could lace the saddle. Drill opposing holes
in each saddle flange (if that's a thing) and pass a lace between ... the
flanges. Tighten as appropriate. This almost entirely renewed a second-
hand brooks saddle for me. Some like to lace with a matching leather
string, but I've found success with a strong nylon bootlace. Replace as
needed.
Old February 11th 16, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote:

Among the clutter in my garage, I found a pretty old leather saddle.

It was very comfortable - until the leather stretched and collapsed onto
the
steel bit.

Is there a leather workers trick for shrinking leather?

There's an adjuster under the pointy end, but the nut just turns and
doesn't
seem to do much - probably stripped thread.

Thanks for any help.

If you are really, truly, interested in repairing your leather saddle
you might read
http://www.instructables.com/id/repl...brooks-saddle/

Thanks.

Mine is actually branded Wrights, but it looks identical to the one pictured
on that page.

There's no splits, cracks or tears. So I'm looking at just basic care and
maintenance.

Its a comfortable saddle - but if its labour intensive, that would kill off
the advantage.

The external thread part of the adjuster wasn't secured properly, so it just
turned with the nut. A dollop of superglue fixed that.

For now I've treated it with leather care polish and put it back into stock.

Old February 11th 16, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"aop64490" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:48:25 +0000, Ian Field wrote:

Among the clutter in my garage, I found a pretty old leather saddle.

It was very comfortable - until the leather stretched and collapsed onto
the steel bit.

Is there a leather workers trick for shrinking leather?

There's an adjuster under the pointy end, but the nut just turns and
doesn't seem to do much - probably stripped thread.

Thanks for any help.

If the leather isn't split you could lace the saddle. Drill opposing holes
in each saddle flange (if that's a thing) and pass a lace between ... the
flanges.

Apart from a little creased where it wasn't tensioned properly, its in
nearly pristine condition, I figured out what was wrong with the adjuster
and fixed it.