Protecting yourself

Old June 9th 19, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Protecting yourself

I dont take my phone when riding unless i am going somewhere new and might not find the place. I dont always want to be "connected to the world." I try to ride in my neighborhood where it is pretty quiet. I live about 1/4 mile from a lake.
There are usually a few cigarette boats putting out 100 decibels. Unless they are wearing ear protection, they must have a hearing aid in their future. :-)
Old June 9th 19, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 3:41:35 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I dont take my phone when riding unless i am going somewhere new and might not find the place. I dont always want to be "connected to the world." I try to ride in my neighborhood where it is pretty quiet. I live about 1/4 mile from a lake.
There are usually a few cigarette boats putting out 100 decibels. Unless they are wearing ear protection, they must have a hearing aid in their future. :-)

If I don't want to be "connected" I just turn the phone off but I still have it with me in case of emergency.

Cheers
Old June 9th 19, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 04:21:05 -0700 (PDT),
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 3:41:35 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I dont take my phone when riding unless i am going somewhere
new and might not find the place. I dont always want to be
"connected to the world." I try to ride in my neighborhood
where it is pretty quiet. I live about 1/4 mile from a lake.
There are usually a few cigarette boats putting out 100
decibels. Unless they are wearing ear protection, they must
have a hearing aid in their future. :-)

If I don't want to be "connected" I just turn the phone off but
I still have it with me in case of emergency.

+1

Also, I'm still using an older iPhone (the SE) because of its
small form factor. I don't need a large display, and the small
form works much better for one handed use (e.g., texting).

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old June 10th 19, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 07/06/2019 10:56 p.m., jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 6:43:37 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 4:02:50 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:59:18 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:23:30 AM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 07/06/2019 8:57 a.m., Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 07.06.2019 um 14:03 schrieb Duane:
On 06/06/2019 8:54 p.m., John B. wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 23:12:18 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:48:44 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/6/2019 8:54 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:

I have sat in a car as a passenger when the driver was texted by his
wife and sent an answer via Siri.Â* Needed a few repetitions to
get the
right text but still simpler than ringing her to pass the estimated
arrival time.

And it's now so important to tell one's arrival time?

And when did all this become so important? And why now whenÂ* just a
few short years ago no one was frantically advising the world that
they would arrive in just three short minutes? Or perhaps 2 minutes
and 59 seconds?

Who said anything about 3 short minutes?Â* Maybe you're replying to
Frank's straw man?

The real situation was as follows: We (two dads a coaches) were taking
some kids to a "First Lego League" regional competition, leaving home
early in the morning; we had only a vague idea how long the competition
would run.

Perfect communication would have been to text the wife before getting
into the car for the way back.Â* As the husband forgot to do so, the wife
texted short before 8pm "When are you coming home?", and the husband
answered "Almost home. I'll drop M. off in Dossenheim and be home in 30
- 60 mins".

Typical for me is "There's an accident on the 401 and traffic is
blocked. I'm still in if you guys can wait for me. If not, see you
next ride."

No idea why the luddites come out whenever anything relatively new is
mentioned.

If they don't like them so much why don't they just ditch the cell
phone entirely instead of complaining about how others use them?
After all, it's not really that many years ago that there were no
cell phones and you had to use a land line to call anyone.

Try finding a pay phone. I have a cell phone but it has not become a
way of life or an undue distraction. There is also a difference
between being a Luddite and being po-lite. I don't yak on my phone
in public places or burden people with dopey texts and pictures of
my dinner entree. Nothing I do or eat is worthy of immediate
broadcast. I do let people know when I'm going to be late, but
usually by more than three minutes.

-- Jay Beattie.

I think that the preponderance of cell phones is a major reason why
there are so few pay phones left.

I remember stopping off at a large very well known coffee place in
St. George, Ontario, Canada and seeing perhaps 20 people sitting
around a large table (or 2 tables put together) and EVERY SINGLE
person at that table was yakking/texting or otherwise engaged with
their cellphone. People get together to ext? Or are they sharing
things?

I've seen people call or text a family member from a store so that
they could tell them about some in-store special and ask if they
wanted any of it.

As far as using a cellphone to tell someone you'll be there in a few
minutes; that can be very useful when you're going to be waiting
outside for them. My friends will often text or call me within a few
minutes of their arrival so that I can have my bike and myself ready
and waiting for them when they pull into the apartment building
driveway. It saves time.

I have a flip-phone that a family member got me for emergencies. It's
all I need or want. Others might want all the latest bells and
whistles because those are useful to them.

Cell-phone parking lots at airports seem like a really good reason to
call someone to say, "I just landed". They save a lot of parking fees
and time loafing around outside the security checkpoint.

I've used them many times, and they're really convenient depending on the airport (some can be packed).

The phone is also good for checking arrivals, summoning Lyft or Uber, pictures, maps. When I'm traveling, the iPhone is like a Swiss Army Knife. I like that part of the modern era. Pictures are great just for record keeping. Take a picture of your passport or the front of your hotel. "Take me here."

-- Jay Beattie.

I was not an early adapter with cell phones but I seem to use mine for
all sorts of things now. Navigation is a lot easier on a trip that the
old find a map at the car rental place and hope it's accurate. Even
here at home I use the Waze app. There's so much construction in
Montreal right now that a road I take today may be closed tomorrow.
They're replacing some major arteries and detours pop up out of nowhere
that can cost you hours.
Old June 10th 19, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

My take one cellphones. When they first came out cellphones were phones with a few computer functions. Now cellphones are mini-computers with phone functions. LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old June 10th 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I actually get annoyed at most of the phone calls I get. Can't
you text me so I can reply when I feel like it, if at all? lol
Old June 10th 19, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Sure but they were on the way out anyway. It was ALWAYS extremely expensive to maintain a system of payphones and growing more so when people started stealing them for the change in them.
Old June 10th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 3:48:16 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

wrote:

On 6/6/2019 8:54 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 06.06.2019 um 14:14 schrieb Duane:

You can listen or talk on a radio without looking at it.Â* Same with a
phone.Â*Â* Especially if you have some hands free device as most cars
do now.
But you can?t text without looking at it.

Well actually you can send text by voice using Siri on iPhone and
there's probably some app that reads it.

Siri can do that as well
https://www.dummies.com/consumer-ele...r-texts-aloud/

(and with the appropriate in-car integration, without needing to touch
the home button).

I have sat in a car as a passenger when the driver was texted by his
wife and sent an answer via Siri.Â* Needed a few repetitions to get the
right text but still simpler than ringing her to pass the estimated
arrival time.

And it's now so important to tell one's arrival time?

I can accept it may be important in some few instances- perhaps "I'll be
there before the baby is born!"

But from certain friends, I now get texts saying "We're almost there,
see you in five minutes." That's over-communication. We shouldn't need
minute by minute reports.

Strange that in all my years I cannot remember an instance when it was
important for me to notify someone when, exactly, I would arrive. And
yes, there were innumerable instances when I was required to be at a
certain place at a certain time - "Be home at supper time or your
father will see to you!", or "If you aren't here for roll call you
will get a week of extra duty".

Sad that no one gives a **** when you show up.

In short this irrational desire to be certain that you inform the
universe of every detail of your life is just that, irrational.

You should talk to my wife.

Or perhaps not. Perhaps it is simply evidence of an overweening
arrogance that you are so important that everyone must be interested
in your minute by minute activities.

Or perhaps what’s not important for you is not not important for the rest
of the world.

And when did all this become so important? And why now when just a
few short years ago no one was frantically advising the world that
they would arrive in just three short minutes? Or perhaps 2 minutes
and 59 seconds?
--
cheers,

John B.

Who said anything about 3 short minutes? Maybe you're replying to
Frank's straw man?

Ah, you didn't read the part where I said " I cannot remember an
instance when it was important for me to notify someone when,
exactly, I would arrive"? And now I'm emphasizing the statement.
--
cheers,

John B.

Yesterday I drove back from Sacramento in killer traffic stop and go over half of it and my wife had an appointment to meet her niece for a movie. So she had to keep her apprised as she was waiting out in front of the theater..
Old June 10th 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Old June 12th 19, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 6:21:07 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 3:41:35 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I dont take my phone when riding unless i am going somewhere new and might not find the place. I dont always want to be "connected to the world." I try to ride in my neighborhood where it is pretty quiet. I live about 1/4 mile from a lake.
There are usually a few cigarette boats putting out 100 decibels. Unless they are wearing ear protection, they must have a hearing aid in their future. :-)

If I don't want to be "connected" I just turn the phone off but I still have it with me in case of emergency.

Cheers

That's an idea. But for me it adds weight.

Andy

Protecting the head ... Nick Kew UK 24 December 30th 06 11:19 AM
Protecting my shins pkplonker Unicycling 8 November 19th 06 11:02 AM
Protecting your saddle? firisfirefly Unicycling 0 August 3rd 06 06:43 AM
Protecting your saddle? mornish Unicycling 0 August 3rd 06 06:40 AM
Protecting your saddle? Jerrick Unicycling 0 August 3rd 06 06:39 AM