Gremlins and bikes!

Old June 3rd 19, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Gremlins and bikes!

Let's share stories of when Gremlins strike.

My latest is my Schwalbe 30mm CX Pro cyclocross tire. It has gone completely flat a couple of times lately. So, yesterday I took the tube out and pumped it up quite a bit to check it for pinholes. PAssed it numerous times under water in a large pan. No bubbles at all. Even checked the valve still no bubbles. Pumped up the tube more and left it to hang overnight. This morning it was still full of air. Let the air out and placed tube back under tire and mounted tire to the rim. Pumped it up to 80psi and went for a ride. Rode for a couple of hours and came home. Tire pressure still at 80psi. I can only conclude that there are Gremlins in my apartment and they let the air out of the tire. Note that the tire was completely flat not just soft.

What have Gremlins done to your bike?

Cheers
Old June 3rd 19, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 9:22:42 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Let's share stories of when Gremlins strike.

My latest is my Schwalbe 30mm CX Pro cyclocross tire. It has gone completely flat a couple of times lately. So, yesterday I took the tube out and pumped it up quite a bit to check it for pinholes. PAssed it numerous times under water in a large pan. No bubbles at all. Even checked the valve still no bubbles. Pumped up the tube more and left it to hang overnight. This morning it was still full of air. Let the air out and placed tube back under tire and mounted tire to the rim. Pumped it up to 80psi and went for a ride. Rode for a couple of hours and came home. Tire pressure still at 80psi. I can only conclude that there are Gremlins in my apartment and they let the air out of the tire. Note that the tire was completely flat not just soft.

What have Gremlins done to your bike?

Not a gremlin, but a WTF? My son was having shifting problems suggestive of worn cassettes, so I put on a new 10sp cassette that I had hanging around for the bike (a CAAD 9 that used to be mine). Shifted beautifully. We went for a ride, and the cassette was rattling like it was loose. It was -- and it needed a 1mm shim for the old 8/9 freehub body. It seemed fine when I put it together. So, I put in the shim, and it silenced the rattle. Oddly, there was no shim when I pulled the old cassettes, and I don't recall ever using one in the past -- at least not on a Shimano hub. Maybe I'm just getting addled.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 9th 19, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 12:26:26 -0700 (PDT),
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

This is too weird. We run a 10-speed Shimano cassette with a long
throw Ultegra road derailer on our tandem. Two weeks ago the
derailer body snapped, and I replaced it with a new part (same
model). The shop also trued the wheel and adjusted the derailer
hanger at the same time, though the hanger had been unaffected by
the derailer breaking.

Last weekend, we broke a rear spoke. I replaced the spoke, and
touched up the true of the wheel. Yesterday we were out riding,
and I realized I'd gotten the cable adjusted off by a gear. I
tightened the cable enough to cover the full range of 10 cogs, and
we then had some weird shifting problems. I gradually got the
cable tension dialed in, but there was a spot or two going across
the casette where the shifting just jumped, oor even auto shifted
at times.

After we got home, I took the wheel off to clean the cassette, and
discovered the cogs were loose. I out on a brand new cassettte,
and had the same looseness. How did this happen? The cassette
and rear der had behaved beautifully for many many hundreds of
miles.

I got a spacer at the LBS, and the looseness is gone. Haven't
ridden it yet, but it shifts fine in the stand, and I expect the
same on the road.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old June 9th 19, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yes, Shimano Ten format cassettes (whether Shimano brand or
not) use a 1mm spacer behind low gear. Sprockets loose on
body is an amazingly common and annoying service error both
at home and in some shops.

Intermittent or inconsistent shifting, if yet unresolved,
may well be a kinked gear wire, a fraying gear wire ( look
in/near shifter!) or damaged casing (usually at first casing
stop).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 9th 19, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Is it a product-generational thing? I don't remember using one before on 10sp. It might be because I was using a different set of wheels with a later generation freehub body (?).

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 9th 19, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 9:22:42 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Let's share stories of when Gremlins strike.

My latest is my Schwalbe 30mm CX Pro cyclocross tire. It
has gone completely flat a couple of times lately. [with
no cause found]

[...]

Thanks, Andrew. The weird thing is I have zero memory of seeing
any spacer when I took the cassette off, nor can I find one around
my shop area. It worked fine before taking the cassette off to
replace the spoke, so I suppose I didn't see and lost it.

Intermittent or inconsistent shifting, if yet unresolved, may
well be a kinked gear wire, a fraying gear wire ( look in/near
shifter!) or damaged casing (usually at first casing stop).

Yes, that also crossed my mind. I've most often seen it manifest
as failed or greatly delayed shifting to smaller cogs because the
added friction from a damaged wire or housing is more easily
overcome when pulling the cable (i.e., shifting to a larger cog.)
I don't think that's the problem here, but if it persists this
will definitely be the next thing I look into.

Is it a product-generational thing? I don't remember using one
before on 10sp. It might be because I was using a different set
of wheels with a later generation freehub body (?).

Same here. I don't recall ever seeing a spacer under the cassette
on this (or indeed any) Shimano component.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old June 9th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

With most bodies but not all bodies.
Also 13t-start cassettes don't need the spacer

Old June 9th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

It's an actual Shimano part. First result in web search:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...cassette-26559

Old June 9th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I think one actually came with my cassette. I was picking up junk off the floor of the garage where I worked on my son's bike, and near the plastic cassette-holder cone was a 1mm chrome spacer. I didn't even see it. When I re-fixed his bike, I went into the basement and grabbed a spacer. Live and learn.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 9th 19, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Interesting. The spacer my LBS gave me had the little tabs on the
inner circumference. I didn't measure it, but it looked thin to
be 1 mm.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA