Why Are People Here?

Old July 8th 19, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Why Are People Here?

On 7/8/2019 12:30 AM, jbeattie wrote:
I was particularly fond of my son's company issued beta head unit that showed 8,000 meters of elevation gain when you turned it on -- it spotted him 8,000 feet, which I thought was awesome. Free climbing. He was also supposed to beta test smart glasses with video display, but he passed.

I'm amazed at the data-head cycling contingent. I have no idea how many
meters elevation gain I've ever done. Heck, I don't usually click to see
my average speed - partly because it's too embarrassing.

Many decades ago on our first trip to England, we were staying at a
hostel somewhere in Devon. Another guy and his son bragged that they had
ridden 100 miles to get there that day.

When I later related that to another guy in the hostel, he said in a
dismissive tone, "Oh, he's just doing it for the numbers."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 8th 19, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 7:27:54 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/8/2019 12:30 AM, jbeattie wrote:
I was particularly fond of my son's company issued beta head unit that showed 8,000 meters of elevation gain when you turned it on -- it spotted him 8,000 feet, which I thought was awesome. Free climbing. He was also supposed to beta test smart glasses with video display, but he passed.

I'm amazed at the data-head cycling contingent. I have no idea how many
meters elevation gain I've ever done. Heck, I don't usually click to see
my average speed - partly because it's too embarrassing.

Many decades ago on our first trip to England, we were staying at a
hostel somewhere in Devon. Another guy and his son bragged that they had
ridden 100 miles to get there that day.

When I later related that to another guy in the hostel, he said in a
dismissive tone, "Oh, he's just doing it for the numbers."

I don't even have an odometer/speedometer, but I'll probably get one or download Strava and have my phone do it. I do like to know how far I've gone and the elevation, although its not that important.

I no longer criticize the data-driven. First, people can do what they want to do (being data OCD is harmless), and second, for those who are training -- bicycling, weight lifting, what-have-you -- the studied seem to make huge improvements. I'm not training for anything except riding with my son in Utah. Data is not that important to me, and knowing my power would be downright depressing.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 8th 19, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/8/2019 1:32 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm not really criticizing the data-driven cyclists. I'm just amazed at
the phenomenon, in much the same way I'm amazed by the couple I know who
weigh their portions at every meal. I think it makes sense if you're a
racer, to help your training. I'm just amazed that non-racers get that
data hungry.

My most unique bike-related data obsession is probably the big U.S. map
on the wall. It's from USGS, 40 years ago, and about five feet wide by
three feet high. It shows no roads, but shows water features and
national parks (back then) plus little circles of apparently randomly
chosen towns. There are maybe 50 towns shown in a typical state.

Starting about the 1970s, I got in the habit of filling in the circle
with a red dot any time I rode at least a mile in that town. Eventually,
it became incentive to ride to new towns, especially on vacation. "Hey,
we're not far from Oswego! I can ride there and get a new dot!"

Occasionally, it's driven my wife crazy. "You're not going to take your
bike out and ride here, are you? It's raining!" "But this will be my
first dot in Oklahoma! Sit tight; I'll be back soon."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 8th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 08/07/2019 1:32 p.m., jbeattie wrote:
[...]

You find motivation where it works for you. I like keeping track of my
performance. I'm not obsessive about it but it helps keep me motivated
to push.
Old July 8th 19, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:02:47 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
[...]

I just bought a Cateye wireless bicycle computer. When I'm touring or riding long distances exploring, I find it nice to know how far I've gone and my average speed so that I know when to turn back for home. I just got the basic 8-functions one. I don't need to know temperature and a lot of the other stuff on the more expensive units.

Cheers
Old July 8th 19, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/8/2019 4:21 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

My touring bike has an Avocet 35. Maybe 7 functions? I look at a few of
them - the speed and sometimes average speed. I'll check trip miles at
the end of a ride, and occasionally during one.

Since I still use paper maps, the trip odometer is occasionally handy
during a ride for navigating - as in "I have to turn left after 3/4 mile."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 8th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:55:31 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I loved the old Cateye Solar bicycle computer because you could set an alarm for a certain distance. That made finding roads and trails quite easy even if they were pretty overgrown.

The alarm could be set for rpms or a couple of other things including heart rate if you had the optional heart rate monitor that plugged into the cadence port.

Cheers
Old July 8th 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 1:02:47 PM UTC-7, duane wrote:
[...]

I record my performance because I like to keep track of where I am this year compared to last. This is how I've noted that aging. Though it may not be as fearsome as I thought. I notice that my legs are returning to their former size though VERY slowly.
Old July 8th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:27:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/8/2019 12:30 AM, jbeattie wrote:
I was particularly fond of my son's company issued beta head unit that showed 8,000 meters of elevation gain when you turned it on -- it spotted him 8,000 feet, which I thought was awesome. Free climbing. He was also supposed to beta test smart glasses with video display, but he passed.

I'm amazed at the data-head cycling contingent. I have no idea how many
meters elevation gain I've ever done. Heck, I don't usually click to see
my average speed - partly because it's too embarrassing.

Many decades ago on our first trip to England, we were staying at a
hostel somewhere in Devon. Another guy and his son bragged that they had
ridden 100 miles to get there that day.

When I later related that to another guy in the hostel, he said in a
dismissive tone, "Oh, he's just doing it for the numbers."

But did he post the details on the Internet so everyone would know
what a wonderful and athletic person he was? And that he has a $4,000
bicycle?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 9th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

My, the tears flow so often and heavily from your eyes when you come to discover that someone was a great deal more successful than you and even with memory deficits can remember numbers better than you.

How do people put up with this every day? Simon Mason UK 1 October 11th 11 12:13 AM
What odd people vey Techniques 39 October 22nd 07 10:00 AM
who are these people? Jkohse Unicycling 55 July 22nd 07 03:50 PM
you people are gay MagillaGorilla Racing 282 December 7th 04 08:06 PM
Some help here people!! Neil Hardman UK 2 July 13th 03 08:22 AM