11-32 8-speed cassette...number of teeth?

Old August 20th 03, 04:12 PM
Simon Kempster

Default 11-32 8-speed cassette...number of teeth?

Can anyone please tell me where I can find out how many teeth there
are on each ring of an 11-32 8-speed cassette? Numbers for just the
middle six will be fine...

Simon Kempster
Old August 20th 03, 04:23 PM
Bryan

Simon Kempster wrote:
Can anyone please tell me where I can find out how many teeth there are
on each ring of an 11-32 8-speed cassette? Numbers for just the middle
six will be fine...
Simon Kempster

11 on the first, 32 on the last , and as for the ones in the middle,
well it all depends on what the cogs are :-)

something like 11 13 15 17 19 23 27 32. You can mix and match as much
as you want these days, check out some web sites and see what people
are offering

Bryan

Old August 20th 03, 04:33 PM
Ian

Sam Salt must be edykated coz e writed:

Try good old Sheldon Brown here :- http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html (
scroll down to gear tables )
although I can't see an 11-32 eight speed I must admit.I presume it is
Shimano ?

Sam Salt

Simon Kempster wrote:
Can anyone please tell me where I can find out how many teeth there
are on each ring of an 11-32 8-speed cassette? Numbers for just the
middle six will be fine...

Simon Kempster

---

If it is a Sram then the tooth number is stamped onto each ring, visible on
a tooth.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old August 20th 03, 04:56 PM
Dave Larrington

Bryan wrote:

You can mix and match as much
as you want these days, check out some web sites and see what people
are offering

Where? I thoiught that the days of being able to spec a custom block ended
with the demise of SRAM freewheels. These days one has to buy two (or more)
cassettes, dismantle them and combine the parts into one glorious whole.
Grrr!

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 20th 03, 05:06 PM
Andy Koppe

Sam Salt wrote:

Can anyone please tell me where I can find out how many teeth there
are on each ring of an 11-32 8-speed cassette? Numbers for just the
middle six will be fine...

Try good old Sheldon Brown here :- http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html (
scroll down to gear tables )
although I can't see an 11-32 eight speed I must admit.I presume it is
Shimano ?

There's an 8-speed 11-32 in SRAMs 5.0 series. Can't find the tooth numbers
though.

Andy

Old August 21st 03, 10:43 AM
Dave Larrington

Andy Koppe wrote:

There's an 8-speed 11-32 in SRAMs 5.0 series. Can't find the tooth
numbers though.

Chicken's web site sez:
11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32 (PGC 532 model), or
11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32 (PGC 832 model - which is almost twice as heavy but
six quid cheaper)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 24th 03, 01:09 PM
Taywood

Chicken's web site sez:
11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32 (PGC 532 model), or
11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32 (PGC 832 model - which is almost twice as

heavy but
six quid cheaper)

I wish.
That there were closer ratios available at the bottom end, such as
those available at the top.
Going uphill, thats when I need the smooth change not that knee
jarring jump as I get closer to the inner.
Remember that dreadful Mega which shimano brought out, close ratio
all thru then a monstrous drop onto the granny.
Mike

Old August 25th 03, 11:44 AM
tony R

"Taywood" wrote in message
Remember that dreadful Mega which shimano brought out, close ratio
all thru then a monstrous drop onto the granny.
Mike

Remember it well. There's one on my child trailer towing bike. The biggest
sprocket is well used in getting us up the hill home. I admit to having had
misgivings over the size of the jump between last two sprockets but my legs
just got used to it.
tony R.

Old August 25th 03, 05:51 PM
Andy Koppe

Taywood wrote:

Chicken's web site sez:
11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32 (PGC 532 model), or
11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32 (PGC 832 model - which is almost twice as

heavy but
six quid cheaper)

I wish.
That there were closer ratios available at the bottom end, such as
those available at the top.
Going uphill, thats when I need the smooth change not that knee
jarring jump as I get closer to the inner.

With cassettes it's a constant ratio between consecutive cogs that makes
them smooth, not a constant difference.

In that respect the 832 above looks pretty reasonable. The 11-12 step on the
other one is a bit of a waste though.

Remember that dreadful Mega which shimano brought out, close ratio
all thru then a monstrous drop onto the granny.

Didn't think it was that bad an idea. It's rubbish for serious climbing, but
nice as a last resort for occasional steep climbs.

Andy
Old August 25th 03, 07:17 PM
James Hodson

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:51:16 +0100, Andy Koppe a n d y @ d c s . e d
.. a c . u k wrote:

Didn't think it was that bad an idea. It's rubbish for serious climbing, but
nice as a last resort for occasional steep climbs.

Andy, I also thought the mega-ring, or whatever it is/was called,
is/was a great idea for those times when the mind is greater than the
body.

In a similar vein, that's why I elected for a triple on my road bike
rather than a double. I've rarely heard anyone say that their gears
weren't large enough for general riding.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.