Urban Cycling - pretty good guidebook

Old August 4th 04, 07:01 PM
Badger_South

Default Urban Cycling - pretty good guidebook

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Was perusing this at B&N, very readable and humorous look at the pitfalls
and joys of cycling in the urban jungle. Not affil, etc.

alternate link: http://tinyurl.com/58ze3

-B

Old August 5th 04, 05:00 PM
Marcus I. Valdes

I'm about halfway through this book as well. Very well thought out
and I've learned quite a bit!Highly recommended. I also want to read
the Critical Mass book that was next to it on the bookshelf. I'm also
reading Zinn's Primer book.

Marcus

Old August 5th 04, 05:31 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:00:10 -0400, Marcus I. Valdes
wrote:

I'm about halfway through this book as well. Very well thought out
and I've learned quite a bit!Highly recommended. I also want to read
the Critical Mass book that was next to it on the bookshelf. I'm also
reading Zinn's Primer book.

Marcus

I like the way it has diagrams of the traffic patterns and then little tiny
pictures of the 'biker', and a numbered legend showing the problem and
details of a particular traffic configuration 'problem'.

He also puts some funny stuff in there like 'B is the soccer mom in the van
entering the shopping mall. She may be so excited at the prospect of
shopping that she might not see a biker, and try to dive for the 'hole' in
traffic before it's prudent'. hah-hah.

-B

Old August 6th 04, 06:55 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:31:37 -0400,
, Badger_South
wrote:

He also puts some funny stuff in there like 'B is the soccer mom in the van
entering the shopping mall. She may be so excited at the prospect of
shopping that she might not see a biker, and try to dive for the 'hole' in
traffic before it's prudent'. hah-hah.

I've not seen the book but at this point I'm checking over my
shoulder, moving closer to the middle of the lane, standing on the
pedals and calculating the odds of different scenarios.

Shoulder check to see if there's a car and whether they're waiting for
that and consider the option to slow so that I enter the intersection
closer to the same time, IOW, let them pull their stunt and use other
traffic for running blockers.

Standing on the pedals to create a larger target and give the
impression I'm 'hurrying to get out of the way".

Moving to the centre of the lane gives me a better chance of being
seen and cuts down on the amount of lane they must cross before
meeting opposing traffic (me). It opens up more room to the right for
maneuvering and better possibility to get around behind.

What's the book say about muttering?
--
zk