presta tubes with unthreaded stems

Old October 19th 04, 05:49 PM
Greg Evans

Default presta tubes with unthreaded stems

Who makes presta tubes with unthreaded valve-stems?
I've been using Torelli Extra-lites but I'd like to
find something a little more "heavy duty" (and maybe
cheaper) that will hold air pressure better than the
Torellis, which I find myself topping off every day
or two.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Evans
There's a train leaving nightly
called when all is said and done.

Warren Zevon
My photos:
http://members.aol.com/photog0314/
Old October 19th 04, 05:57 PM
shokhead

Greg Evans Wrote:
Who makes presta tubes with unthreaded valve-stems?
I've been using Torelli Extra-lites but I'd like to
find something a little more "heavy duty" (and maybe
cheaper) that will hold air pressure better than the
Torellis, which I find myself topping off every day
or two.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Evans
There's a train leaving nightly
called when all is said and done.

Warren Zevon
My photos:
http://members.aol.com/photog0314/

Salsa and Mich tubes.

--
shokhead

Old October 19th 04, 08:55 PM
SDMike

"Greg Evans" wrote in message
om...
Who makes presta tubes with unthreaded valve-stems?
I've been using Torelli Extra-lites but I'd like to
find something a little more "heavy duty" (and maybe
cheaper) that will hold air pressure better than the
Torellis, which I find myself topping off every day
or two.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Evans

What difference does threaded/non- make? IME, if you can get an unthreaded stem
thru the rim, you can get a threaded stem thru the rim. 'course, we could be
talking about something new-fangled that I haven't tried yet...

I've always just bought "tubes." Cheap, reliable, and plentiful.

Old October 19th 04, 09:15 PM
Per Elmsäter

SDMike wrote:
"Greg Evans" wrote in message
om...
Who makes presta tubes with unthreaded valve-stems?
I've been using Torelli Extra-lites but I'd like to
find something a little more "heavy duty" (and maybe
cheaper) that will hold air pressure better than the
Torellis, which I find myself topping off every day
or two.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Evans

What difference does threaded/non- make? IME, if you can get an
unthreaded stem thru the rim, you can get a threaded stem thru the
rim. 'course, we could be talking about something new-fangled that I
haven't tried yet...

I've always just bought "tubes." Cheap, reliable, and plentiful.

For one thing my pumps seems to fit better on unthreaded stems. Especially
my CO2 pump from SKS
--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Old October 19th 04, 09:15 PM
Greg Evans

SDMike wrote:
What difference does threaded/non- make?

The non-threaded stems slip more easily out of my Silca pump's
chuck. This gives the two-fold advantage of not wearing out the
chuck's rubber grommet as quickly and vastly decreasing the
frequency with which I pull the valve stem loose from the tube
(it seems that this almost always the eventual cause of death
for my tubes with the threads).

So, the question remains, who (besides Torelli) makes presta tubes
with non-threaded valve stems?

TIA
Greg

Old October 19th 04, 09:33 PM
Patrick W.

Exactly. I love responders who question the question rather than provide an
answer! Ah, the internet community.

Anyway, I think Michelin tubes are smooth-stemmed. At least, they were many
years ago last time I used them, and judging from current web photos the
still look to be. I'm also a big afficionado of non-threaded stems, and
honestly I never saw the need for threads anyway. In 15 years of riding and
half a dozen or more pairs of wheels, I've never used a valve-stem nut
anyway. I'm currently using Torellis but I agree 100% they're not very
good - constantly lose air and they don't seem to blow out quickly around
the valve area. I'll be watching this thread for replacment suggestions!

- Patrick W.

"Greg Evans" wrote in message
m...