Four sets of essential points for cyclists to remember

Old April 17th 04, 07:36 PM
Peter Fox

Default Four sets of essential points for cyclists to remember

As promised 10 days ago here are the pithy points.

To recap: The object is to have memorable phrases to cover the important
issues.

You can see a pretty web page at
http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk/pedalpoints.htm
and from there you can get to an expanded list.

Rules of the ride

* See and be seen
* You are traffic
* Space doesn't hurt
* Prepare for junctions

Traps of the trip

* Junction jumpers
* Rubbish Road
* Never overtake lorries
* Loony left hookers

Bits of the bike

* Size suits
* Wheels work
* Brakes bite
* Mechanical mischief

Joy of the Journey

* Beauty of back routes
* Speed of commute
* Fun of fitness
* Independence or party

Please remember when explaining them to somebody that the FIRST
important thing is to remember the points themselves and ONLY THEN can
you hang the more detailed meanings onto the mantra.

Comments to the (spamtrapped) address in the sig.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm Witham Cycling Campaign
www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides East Anglian Pub cycle rides
Old April 17th 04, 09:50 PM
Iain Jones

Peter Fox wrote in
:

Bits of the bike

* Size suits

[From the website:] Adjust the height of the saddle so you can touch
the floor with the ball of one foot but not both

I used to set the saddle this way, but found it was a long way out, and
gave me all sorts of knee trouble and saddle (pressure) sores. Using the
"heel on pedal, leg straight" sets it much lower and is much more
comfortable. And I can put the balls of both feet on the ground.

Joy of the Journey

* Speed of commute

[Website:] Buses and cycles go about the same speed in towns

Each morning going to work I pass about 5 buses. £1.20 saved and five
minutes faster. I love it!

Old April 17th 04, 09:59 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Each morning going to work I pass about 5 buses. £1.20 saved and five
minutes faster. I love it!

What I love about cycling..

It's a form of exercise I find enjoyable - much more so than spending a fortune
to join a gym and be surrounded by sweaty bodies all staring into nothing and
hearing loud music. Much nicer to be out in the open air and changing scenery.

As a way of getting me to and from town when I've only a little bit of shopping
to do, it gets me exercise and saves on the fuel bill for the car - noticeably
so.

It blows the cobwebs away, so to speak, and if I've been stuck inside all day,
it's a sheer joy to get in the fresh air.

I'm sure it makes me a more considerate driver, as when cycling, I'm a more
vulnerable road user, and this helps me, when I'm in motorist mode, be more
aware of the needs of non-motorised road users.

It puts things in perspective - closer to the outside world than when behind
the wheel of my car - I hear the birdsong when I'm cycling - I don't when
driving :-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 17th 04, 10:36 PM
Richard Goodman

"Iain Jones" wrote in message
52.50...
Peter Fox wrote in
:

Joy of the Journey

* Speed of commute

[Website:] Buses and cycles go about the same speed in towns

Each morning going to work I pass about 5 buses. £1.20 saved and five
minutes faster. I love it!

Perhaps the OP meant when you're drafting Overall I would beat a bus
over the same route by a long way on my commute, but between stops there's
often an opportunity to travel at the same speed .

Rich

Old April 17th 04, 10:36 PM
Richard Goodman

"Iain Jones" wrote in message
52.50...
Peter Fox wrote in
:

Old April 18th 04, 02:52 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Richard Goodman wrote:

"Iain Jones" wrote in message
52.50...

Each morning going to work I pass about 5 buses. £1.20 saved and five
minutes faster. I love it!

Perhaps the OP meant when you're drafting

Oh, yes, I used to do that in my youth. It's quite exciting provided
the driver doesn't know you're there. If he/she realises, you're toast
when they hit the brakes.