Minnesota Winters

Old December 16th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
max

Default Minnesota Winters

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

Jorg Lueke wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:

-1F for the high today, -14F predicted for the low tonight, and the cold
part of the winter yet to come. *Ed and I have finally found something
to agree on. *Minnesota winters suck.

It kills the bugs

Here in Austin, we use Mexican Free-tailed bats for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_Avenue_Bridge

Chalo

hey, that's pretty cool!

In the Contented People's Republic of Illinois, it was 7F today, with
very much ice on everything. I wouldn't want to have had to walk on what
i rode over. Hazardous for walking, the sheets of ice were crudittes*
for my Nokian's.

..max
*chicken nuggets in French

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
Old December 16th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 15, 5:38*pm, Mark wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
I feel for you, really. *We got snow over the weekend and are in the
middle of a cold snap -- but no where near single digits F. The snow
is only an inch or two downtown and has been reduced to sheet ice in
many places. I rode to work on my cross bike and had to get off and
walk in a couple of spots. I am going to have to pick my way home
until I get off the main roads and in to the hills. *I can't gain too
much elevation, or else I'll be sledding home. I'm probably going to
have to drive tomorrow or take the bus.

On a somewhat tech note, I went to put on my (car) snow wheels on
Saturday, [...]

Heh. *Last night I put on my /bike/ snow wheels. *Nokians work great:http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/nokian106.htm

Tomorrow I gotta try a bit lower pressure, though. *On the bike/ped
bridge facility, the footprints make hard-sided craters that you really
bounce through. *Crossing the bridge is quite a pounding.

Mark J. - 50 miles south of Jay, with a lot less snow.

Hey, I made it home last night on the sheet ice without any major
crashes, but I decided to take the plunge and buy some cheap studs
(Innova) from Bike Tires Direct (over near the airport) -- and after
my super-duper VIP discount, they were only about $26 a tire, which I
thought was not too terrible, even if I only use them a few times a
year. Beautiful blue skies today, but It's supposed to snow again
tomorrow, so I'll be really, really ready this time.

Last night, some guy yelled at me that I was supposed to be using
chains. I assume he was joking, but with all schoolmarmish behavior
towards bicyclists around here, I'm not quite sure. For you people
who see real winter weather, you would get a laugh out of the drivers
in PDX who panic over an inch or three of snow. The place practically
shuts down, and it turns to weather hysteria on the local news
channels.-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 16th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

There's more cold to winter in other places for which Carl Fogel
kindly found some URl's for a couple of ice.pps files that I had in my
collection of weather phenomena:

http://www.elanguages.org/files/42213
http://www.tom-phillips.info/powerpo...e.festival.pps

Jobst Brandt
Old December 17th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
There's more cold to winter in other places for which Carl Fogel
kindly found some URl's for a couple of ice.pps files that I had in my
collection of weather phenomena:

http://www.elanguages.org/files/42213
http://www.tom-phillips.info/powerpo...e.festival.pps

Jobst Brandt

Winter riding you say? Make your travel arrangements now for the 2009
New Year's Ride:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny8.html

High Noon. No reservations, no registration fee, show-n-go.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 17th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

*http://www.tom-phillips.info/powerpo...ow.ice.festiva...

Jobst Brandt

Winter riding you say? Make your travel arrangements now for the 2009
New Year's Ride:http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny8.html

High Noon. No reservations, no registration fee, show-n-go.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Hey, Portland looked just like that (minus the snow drifts) on Monday
-- but with more ice patches. I got those Innova studs. That's a lot
of rubber -- they weigh about two pounds apiece. I'm going to give
them a whirl in the much anticipated snow storm tomorrow. --- Jay
Beattie.
Old December 17th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
jim beam

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:25:07 -0800, Jay Beattie wrote:
snip for clarity
On a somewhat tech note, I went to put on my (car) snow wheels on
Saturday, and my aluminum rims had welded to the iron hubs. Should have
used my anti-seize! Getting those mo-fos off was a monumental PIA, but
finally got it done.

actually pretty easy to do this - simply loosen the lug nuts a couple of
turns, then go drive around the block. a couple of hard braking episodes
will break free the stubbornest of rusted wheels.
Old December 17th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides

On Dec 17, 7:41*am, jim beam wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:25:07 -0800, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip for clarity

On a somewhat tech note, I went to put on my (car) snow wheels on
Saturday, and my aluminum rims had welded to the iron hubs. *Should have
used my anti-seize! *Getting those mo-fos off was a monumental PIA, but
finally got it done.

actually pretty easy to do this - simply loosen the lug nuts a couple of
turns, then go drive around the block. *a couple of hard braking episodes
will break free the stubbornest of rusted wheels.

God Danged Jim. Thats the only intelligent thing you've ever posted
on this forum.
Old December 17th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
Jay Beattie

On Dec 17, 6:08*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:41*am, jim beam wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:25:07 -0800, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip for clarity

On a somewhat tech note, I went to put on my (car) snow wheels on
Saturday, and my aluminum rims had welded to the iron hubs. *Should have
used my anti-seize! *Getting those mo-fos off was a monumental PIA, but
finally got it done.

actually pretty easy to do this - simply loosen the lug nuts a couple of
turns, then go drive around the block. *a couple of hard braking episodes
will break free the stubbornest of rusted wheels.

God Danged Jim. *Thats the only intelligent thing you've ever posted
on this forum.

I did that, and it worked with the front wheel but not the rear
wheel. I had to take additional measures for the rear wheel,
including putting some Liquid Wrench between the rim and hub and
engaging in the telephone book rhumba -- you loosen the lug nuts and
then drive the stuck wheel over a phone book, back and forth. Then
you kick the wheel in strategic locations. That finally worked. Or
maybe it was the swearing that did it.

Anyway, I rode to work on my new, cheap-o Innova ice tires today. Not
going to win any races on those fatties, but, wow, they really do work
well on ice. I was getting a little too cocky and almost wiped out.
They are not good on dry pavement, though. They squirm and float
quite a bit, and the tread is not that straight -- or else it looks
crooked because the tires are slowly blowing off my svelt Open Pros.
That happened when I was blowing one up, but the tube is so beefy that
at 60psi, a 4" section just bulged out and sat there.

It's near white-out looking out my office window, so I guess I will
have plenty of fresh snow and ice for the ride home.-- Jay Beattie.

..
Old December 17th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
Clive George

"Jay Beattie" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 6:08 am, "
wrote:
[...]

My 4lb club hammer was bought specifically to remove a wheel from my car.
I'd tried the 1lb one, no joy, no matter how hard I went at it. 4lb one,
smack, wheel off.

Old December 17th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides

On Dec 17, 1:59*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 17, 6:08*am, "

wrote:
[...]

I'm using my new Schwalbe Marathon Winter 700x35 studded tires. They
ride perfectly fine on dry pavement. In loose snow, such as on the
side of the road after the cars have pounded it for awhile, they can
get squirrely. Ice or dry pavement, great traction. They are slower
than regular tires. Partly because I only put 35 psi in them to allow
them to flatten out as much as possible and get all 4 rows of studs in
contact with the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...9551993&sr=1-2

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Minnesota Winters Chris[_12_] Mountain Biking 26 December 21st 08 06:00 PM
Minnesota Winters Chris[_12_] Social Issues 27 December 21st 08 06:00 PM
Minnesota Winters Tom Keats General 2 December 13th 08 01:21 AM
Minnesota Winters Hank Racing 0 December 12th 08 11:11 PM