Is Chapel/Church st where all the usless drivers go?

Old September 15th 04, 09:06 AM

Default Is Chapel/Church st where all the usless drivers go?

"mfhor" == mfhor writes:

mfhor So how do you get around it? Smile and wave (except
mfhor ironically)?

Generally that's exactly what I do. If the individual the smile and
wave is directed at is a decent sort, then they'll know they're in the
wrong so there's no need to press the point. If on the other hand the
individual is a dick head then getting upset is only going to egg him on
and smiling and waving will likely infuriate them in to impotence.

mfhor Who's flaming?

In my opinion, you are.

Comments like "St Euan the Beatific" are comments directed at me and
not the topic. I may have mis-interpreted your meaning however such
comments seem mocking, which is not nice.

Flaming is generally defined as attacking the person rather than the
argument. Mocking language is an attack. By all means debate the
topic but leave out the mocking.

mfhor I just don't like "Holier than Thou" when it comes to
mfhor people's instinctive reactions to a real and immediate threat
mfhor to personal safety.

I'm agnostic so that's a bit hard.

mfhor And getting into a debate with a motorist is PRECISELY what
mfhor you should be doing, because you have the overwhelming moral
mfhor RIGHT and DUTY to tell him (usually him) in diplomatic terms,
mfhor that he (she) is an arrogant, selfish irresponsible and
mfhor careless GIT/DICK/****HEAD

Which is kind of the point. Even diplomatically doing that is going to
get their back up. Everyone's the best driver in the world and they're
not going to admit they're wrong. Stick to law, stick to facts, be calm
in the face of their hostility and you'll stand much better chances of
getting your point across.

I did stipulate a motorists who gives you that "what the **** are you
doing there" look. That does not equate to motorists carte blanche.

mfhor "Choosing battles you can win"? Isn't that what Chamberlain
mfhor said when he came back from Berlin that time?

Actually I think it's derived from Sun Tzu's Art of War. Could be wrong
there.
--
Regards
Euan
Old September 15th 04, 09:36 AM
mfhor

Wrote:

I did stipulate a motorists who gives you that "what the **** are you
doing there" look. That does not equate to motorists carte blanche.

mfhor "Choosing battles you can win"? Isn't that what Chamberlain
mfhor said when he came back from Berlin that time?

Actually I think it's derived from Sun Tzu's Art of War. Could b
wrong
there.
--
Regards
Euan

The reason I 'mocked' you, and it wasn't malicious, was that I find th
pacifist line in bike on car confrontations to be as unproductive as th
overly aggressive one. Bullies will just keep kicking you until you mak
them stop, by one means or another. The people who exhibit antisocia
behavior in cars just reveal their true nature, i.e., cluelessness an
self-centredness, or in some cases downright evil, that they manage t
conceal in everyday life. Do you want to be in hospital because someon
isn't really grown up enough to manage the machine they're in charge of
You may see things differently if you ever have the misfortune to end u
in Intensive Care because someone decided to test their flashil
immature, or unthinking lack of, road skills on you or someone yo
love.

If you want to ride a bike in Melbourne, or Sydney, or any one of
number of cities excluding anywhere Dutch, anywhere Scandinavian
you've chosen your battle, right then and there. You just have t
decide how you can win it with no loss of life of limb. Me, I've had
close friend and a close relative killed while riding, and they wer
both experienced, mature and proficient cyclists. They both did lots o
k's, which raises the odds significantly. It kind of gets personal afte
that. Unrepentant Idiots don't deserve driving privileges, or th
benefit of any doubt. They deserve to be told that they are dangerou
fools, and made to face and make amends for their actions. If i
bruises their ego, well, it shouldn't be so tied up with a piece o
metal and plastic, which can be used very easily as a weapon.

M "battle-scarred"

--
mfhor

Old September 15th 04, 10:41 AM
DRS

"hippy" wrote in message

"mfhor"
wrote in message ...

For instance: "OPEN YOUR EYES AND USE YOUR (expletive
optional) WING MIRRORS - THAT"S WHAT THEY"RE FOR!!!"

I want THIS on a shirt :-)

It needs to be shorter:

"USE YOUR ****ING MIRRORS!"

would fit.

the long run than "YOU ****ING ARSEHOLE ****BRAIN" even though to

This one will be fine too ;-)

It kinda touches the inner poet in each of us, eh?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 15th 04, 11:47 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
"DRS" wrote:

It needs to be shorter:

"USE YOUR ****ING MIRRORS!"

would fit.

OTOH, "LOOK IN YOUR ****ING MIRROR!" might actually get a response from
the more self-obsessed...

--
Shane Stanley
Old September 15th 04, 11:13 PM
aeek

Paulus
I find yelling "use your ****ing mirrors", "look where you are going", "give
way" or "are you trying to kill me, dickhead" are my favorite things to
yell.
[/QUOTE Wrote:

yesterday it was "Great Mate" at the 4WD blocking the bikelane acros
the upramp exit as he waited for his gap in the traffic

--
aeek

Old September 15th 04, 11:24 PM
flyingdutch

[/QUOTE Wrote:

yesterday it was "Great Mate" at the 4WD blocking the bikelane acros
the upramp exit as he waited for his gap in the traffic.

tried that trick that someone here mentioned...

opening the rear door, which ****es em off no -end cos they gotta ge
out and close it. Only to be used when an escape route is iminent.

i think its a case of horses-for-courses.
The calm-and-controlled approach works best on the 'olds' and peopl
who look like they might be half-civilised.
Makin em look stooopid (not hard) is better for your Ute-drivi
tradey and goin the panel-thump works best on anything expensive :

--
flyingdutch

Old September 16th 04, 04:03 AM
hippy

"DRS" wrote in message
It needs to be shorter:
"USE YOUR ****ING MIRRORS!"
would fit.

There could be a whole range:
"USE YOUR ****ING INDICATORS!"
"USE YOUR ****ING BRAIN!"
"USE YOUR ****ING EYES!"

the long run than "YOU ****ING ARSEHOLE ****BRAIN" even though to

This one will be fine too ;-)

It kinda touches the inner poet in each of us, eh?

I can picture Shakespeare sitting down scribbling:
"thou ****ing ******* turdeater"
"thou flame-grilled muscus release-splattered ****stick"
"thou ****ing arsehole ****brain!"
"Yes! That's it!"

hippy
"let it all out.. that's it.. "

Old September 16th 04, 04:05 AM
hippy

"Paulus" wrote

I find yelling "use your ****ing mirrors", "look where you are going",

"give
way" or "are you trying to kill me, dickhead" are my favorite things to
yell.

Problem is, a lot will say "yes!" to that last one. :-S

hippy

Old September 16th 04, 12:55 PM
DRS

"hippy" wrote in message

"DRS" wrote in message
It needs to be shorter:
"USE YOUR ****ING MIRRORS!"
would fit.

There could be a whole range:
"USE YOUR ****ING INDICATORS!"
"USE YOUR ****ING BRAIN!"
"USE YOUR ****ING EYES!"

I sense the conception of a cottage industry.

--

A: Top-posters.