Traffic Light Spoofer for Cyclists

Old January 20th 09, 05:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Bret Cahill[_2_]

Default Traffic Light Spoofer for Cyclists

I pull up in the left hand turn lane and the traffic light doesn't
respond.

If only I had a 9 volt battery powered spoofer that would trick the
intersection into changing the light!

This might require some cooperation with the Dept. of Transportation.

Bret Cahill

Old January 20th 09, 05:50 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
John Larkin

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:00:44 -0800 (PST), Bret Cahill
wrote:

I pull up in the left hand turn lane and the traffic light doesn't
respond.

If only I had a 9 volt battery powered spoofer that would trick the
intersection into changing the light!

This might require some cooperation with the Dept. of Transportation.

Bret Cahill

Do you mean that your bike is ignored by magnetic-loop sensors?

I'd think that a reasonable bit of electronics and a ferrite-core loop
antenna could detect the big loop frequency and generate some signal
that would simulate a car. It would take a little research, but the
numbers don't look unreasonable to me; the loops are just metal
detectors, looking for a fairly small inductance change.

John

Old January 20th 09, 06:13 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Peter Rathmann

On Jan 19, 9:00*pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
I pull up in the left hand turn lane and the traffic light doesn't
respond.

If only I had a 9 volt battery powered spoofer that would trick the
intersection into changing the light!

This might require some cooperation with the Dept. of Transportation.

But might be unnecessary if you have some cooperation from the local
DoT. I've found that just laying the bike down a little over the
sensor area of the road gets almost all the lights to trigger in our
area (northern Cal.) and the traffic authorities are pretty good about
coming out and adjusting the few that don't. This assumes you have
aluminum rims to trigger the induction loop detectors.
Old January 20th 09, 10:20 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Jasen Betts

On 2009-01-20, Peter Rathmann wrote:
On Jan 19, 9:00Â*pm, Bret Cahill wrote:
I pull up in the left hand turn lane and the traffic light doesn't
respond.

If only I had a 9 volt battery powered spoofer that would trick the
intersection into changing the light!

This might require some cooperation with the Dept. of Transportation.

But might be unnecessary if you have some cooperation from the local
DoT. I've found that just laying the bike down a little over the
sensor area of the road gets almost all the lights to trigger in our
area (northern Cal.) and the traffic authorities are pretty good about
coming out and adjusting the few that don't. This assumes you have
aluminum rims to trigger the induction loop detectors.

I have found that just putting the front wheel on the cut line
where the sensor loop is installed is enough.

unfortunately motor cycles have thicker tyres smaller wheels and are
harder lie down and pick up.

OTOH Bret says 9v (not 6V or 12V) so chances are he's using leg-power
and not a motor.
Old January 20th 09, 04:16 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Alex Colvin

If only I had a 9 volt battery powered spoofer that would trick the
intersection into changing the light!

See
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/remote-controls-traffic-lights.

This might require some cooperation with the Dept. of Transportation.

See also http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2005/08/68507.
--
mac the naïf
Old January 20th 09, 06:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Jasen Betts

On 2009-01-20, Jasen Betts wrote:
On 2009-01-20, Peter Rathmann wrote:
[...]

OTOH I could har simply tead the subject line!
"cyclists" generallt excludes motorcyclists.
D'oh.
Old January 20th 09, 06:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Rich Grise

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:00:44 -0800, Bret Cahill wrote:

I pull up in the left hand turn lane and the traffic light doesn't
respond.

If only I had a 9 volt battery powered spoofer that would trick the
intersection into changing the light!

This might require some cooperation with the Dept. of Transportation.

I once saw a web page, which I can't find now, where the cyclist tipped
the bike, to make the frame more nearly parallel to the loop, to improve
the inductive coupling.

A google search just now turned up mostly neodymium magnets.

If you're talking about that strobe that emergency vehicles use, be sure
you don't get caught.

Have Fun!
Rich

Old January 20th 09, 11:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Paul E. Schoen

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:00:44 -0800, Bret Cahill wrote:

I pull up in the left hand turn lane and the traffic light doesn't
respond.

If only I had a 9 volt battery powered spoofer that would trick the
intersection into changing the light!

This might require some cooperation with the Dept. of Transportation.

I once saw a web page, which I can't find now, where the cyclist tipped
the bike, to make the frame more nearly parallel to the loop, to improve
the inductive coupling.

A google search just now turned up mostly neodymium magnets.

If you're talking about that strobe that emergency vehicles use, be sure
you don't get caught.

I have always wondered why they did not design the strobe so that it turned
lights red in all directions. Then all traffic would stop, except for the
emergency vehicle, and the worst that an illegal strobe could do would be
to disrupt traffic and annoy people.

Paul

Old January 21st 09, 02:42 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Peter Rathmann

On Jan 20, 3:58*pm, "Paul E. Schoen" wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message

news

[...]

No, the worst situation under that system is that the legal strobe on
the emergency vehicle fails to trigger the signal. Then the emergency
vehicle goes barreling through the red and right into the cross
traffic that still has a green. Better to have things so that even if
parts fail they tend to do so in ways that are still fairly safe.
Old January 21st 09, 03:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.bicycles.misc,sci.environment
Paul E. Schoen

"Peter Rathmann" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 3:58 pm, "Paul E. Schoen" wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message

news

[...]

Most traffic lights are set to fail-safe as flashing red, which at least
requires all vehicles to stop before proceeding. Emergency vehicles should
never just barrel through an intersection with the assumption that the
lights are properly set, and it should be easy enough to verify that the
lights in the cross direction are indeed also red. One fail-safe indicator
would be to make the lights flash when the emergency condition is set.
Otherwise there could be indicators on the sides of traffic lights to
indicate their color.

Paul

Traffic Light Timings Saxman UK 46 February 1st 09 04:49 PM
"UK minister backs call for more traffic police to protect cyclists" [email protected] UK 9 July 2nd 08 09:08 AM
High density traffic good for cyclists! tam UK 0 December 7th 07 02:23 PM
Wicked evil red-light-running cyclists!! Chris Eilbeck UK 1 September 7th 06 11:24 PM
Dealing with city hall - traffic light sensors Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott Techniques 31 October 14th 05 06:45 AM