Another cyclist killed

Old July 10th 12, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Another cyclist killed

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?
Old July 10th 12, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 10/07/2012 17:12, Bertie Wooster wrote:

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?

Which part of that brief news item indicated who was to blame?

I couldn't spot it anywhere.

Tell you what, it's short, so I'll reproduce it verbatim:

STARTQUOTE:
HEADLINE
Cyclist killed in crash with car in Croydon

[Body of text:]

A cyclist has been killed in a collision with a car in Croydon, south London.
The air ambulance was called but the man, thought to be in his 30s, was
pronounced dead at the scene in Mitcham Road shortly before 05:45 BST.
The driver of the car stopped at the scene of the accident, the Metropolitan
Police said. The cyclist is believed to be the ninth to die on London's roads
this year, Transport for London said. Police officers are appealing for
witnesses to the collision.

[Gratuitous mention of another case as though it were somehow connected:]

On Thursday, cyclist Tarsem Dari, 60, died after colliding with a tipper
lorry in Southall Broadway, west London. The 34-year-old driver of the tipper
lorry stopped at the scene. He was arrested on suspicion of causing death by
dangerous driving and must return to a west London police station in
November, said police.
ENDQUOTE

In case you were wondering, it is nowadays official police policy to arrest
first and think about gathering evidence later. That doesn't mean that it
can't have been the driver's fault, but neither can it mean (on its own) that
it was the driver's fault. But you already know that.

Let me put what I hope is a reasonable suggestion...

Shall we let the law take its course, and see what evidence there is?
Old July 10th 12, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

On Jul 10, 5:22*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 10/07/2012 17:12, Bertie Wooster wrote:

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?

Which part of that brief news item indicated who was to blame?

I couldn't spot it anywhere.

It's very simple. If the car hadn't been there at all, would there
have been a collision?

Every car journey puts us at unnecessary risk. To signify society's
disapproval of this risk, drivers should be 'guilty until proven
innocent' in collisions with vulnerable road users. Then you would no
longer be able to complain about the supposed 'unfairness' of it all.

Nice to know that you are so distraught at the cyclist's death, by the
way. You do surprise me.
Old July 10th 12, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

On Jul 10, 5:12*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:
How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18779129

That's terrible. My thoughts are with his relatives.
Old July 10th 12, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 10/07/2012 18:10, M Wicks wrote:

On Jul 10, 5:22 pm, JNugent wrote:
On 10/07/2012 17:12, Bertie Wooster wrote:

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?

Which part of that brief news item indicated who was to blame?
I couldn't spot it anywhere.

It's very simple. If the car hadn't been there at all, would there
have been a collision?

It's very simple. If the bike hadn't been there at all, would there have been
a collision?

Every car journey puts us at unnecessary risk. To signify society's
disapproval of this risk, drivers should be 'guilty until proven
innocent' in collisions with vulnerable road users. Then you would no
longer be able to complain about the supposed 'unfairness' of it all.

Every bike journey puts us at unnecessary risk. To signify society's
disapproval of this risk, cyclists should be 'guilty until proven innocent'
in collisions with other road users (all of whom are vulnerable). Then you
would no longer be able to complain about the supposed 'unfairness' of it all.

Nice to know that you are so distraught at the cyclist's death, by the
way. You do surprise me.

Sensible people do not become distraught at the death of people they don't
know, have no connection with and will never meet. One reserves one's genuine
grief for those who are close, in one way or another.

Too many people die every minute of the day for it to be otherwise.

Stop trolling. You know it makes sense.
Old July 10th 12, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:12:17 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?

You obviously have more details than we do. What is the evidence that the car
driver was not showing care and consideration?
Old July 10th 12, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 10/07/2012 18:11, M Wicks wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18779129

That's terrible. My thoughts are with his relatives.

OK, I have to give up on that one.

I just can't tell whether that really is "M Wicks" or someone else spoofing him.
Old July 10th 12, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

Bertie Wooster wrote:

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18779129

That's terrible. My thoughts are with his relatives.

OK, I have to give up on that one.

I just can't tell whether that really is "M Wicks" or someone else
spoofing him.

No, it is him. The same person posting using a Reading node of Virginmedia
based on the IP address.

Old July 10th 12, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On Jul 10, 6:11*pm, M Wicks wrote:
On Jul 10, 5:12*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers of
motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for those
around them?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18779129

That's terrible. My thoughts are with his relatives.

You have thoughts????
Old July 10th 12, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Bertie Wooster wrote:

How many more lives must be needlessly extinguished before drivers
of motor vehicles start to show some care and consideration for
those around
them?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18779129

That's terrible. My thoughts are with his relatives.

OK, I have to give up on that one.

I just can't tell whether that really is "M Wicks" or someone else
spoofing him.

No, it is him. The same person posting using a Reading node of
Virginmedia based on the IP address.

Coincidence that you mention Reading, just after I read:
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/ne...-pest-cyclist/

Cyclist killed Tom Crispin[_4_] UK 17 March 24th 11 01:00 PM
Cyclist killed in hit and run Anton Berlin Racing 4 June 8th 09 07:03 PM
Pedestrian killed by cyclist (BNE) and cyclist killed by car (MEL) Adrian Cook Australia 26 July 20th 06 03:55 AM
Cyclist killed endroll Australia 0 September 24th 05 08:46 AM
Another cyclist Killed!! smiles Racing 9 August 30th 04 03:44 PM