Cooler Helmet?

Old April 24th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cooler Helmet?

G.T. wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
In article
om,
"Samatha" wrote:

In South Texas, the sun is broiling my brain in the styrofoam and
plastic helmet I bought despite the air vents through it. Can anyone
recommend a different helmet that won't have me struggling with heat
exhaustion quite so quickly?

Must ... resist ... must ... resist

She should just ride without one when it's hot, or when it's cold, or
when it's in between. Helmets do nothing except protect one from
minor injuries such as cuts and bruises.

I don't recall ever seeing you ride without one.

Bill "enfant provocateur" S.

Old April 24th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Samatha wrote:
In South Texas, the sun is broiling my brain in the styrofoam and
plastic helmet I bought despite the air vents through it. Can anyone
recommend a different helmet that won't have me struggling with heat
exhaustion quite so quickly?

Get a white one:
http://tinyurl.com/z36ad

Old April 24th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Samatha wrote:

I think what I have now is a Giro Eclipse.

The next models up have a better Roc Loc system and bigger vents. I just
got a white Atmos...don't think it's possible to get anything cooler.
It's pricey but comes with a carrying case.

Helmet fit is the first criteria. After that ventilation, then color.
Spending more doesn't increase protection, just comfort.
Old April 24th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"POHB" wrote in message

How about one of these?
http://www.villagehatshop.com/pith_helmet.html

If you were to ride wearing one of those, I think you'd have to claim the
route you're riding as a Colony of the Crown.

Old April 24th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

It's a Giro Eclipse cheapie model (that was still $38 not well spent);
I went home and checked at lunch after posting up above that I thought
it was this model.

Samatha

Old April 24th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank Wirtz wrote:
"POHB" wrote in message

How about one of these?
http://www.villagehatshop.com/pith_helmet.html

If you were to ride wearing one of those, I think you'd have to claim the
route you're riding as a Colony of the Crown.

Clarence Pickard wore a pith helmet in 1973 on the first RAGBRAI.

http://www.ragbrai.org/ragbrai-history.html

Among the many interesting people the ride attracted was Clarence
Pickard of Indianola. This 83-year-old gentleman, who hadn't ridden a
bicycle much in recent years, showed up for that first ride with a used
ladies Schwinn and rode all the way to Davenport, including the 100
degree plus day from Des Moines to Williamsburg, a 110-mile trek.
Pickard's attire for the ride was a long-sleeved shirt, trousers,
woolen long underwear and a silver pith helmet.

Old April 24th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Samatha wrote:
It's a Giro Eclipse cheapie model (that was still $38 not well spent);
I went home and checked at lunch after posting up above that I thought
it was this model.

Samatha

atmos or pneumo, have both with a coolmax headwrap in Texas too. very
good but more $$$$
Old April 24th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Sorni" wrote in message
G.T. wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
In article
om,
"Samatha" wrote:

In South Texas, the sun is broiling my brain in the styrofoam and
plastic helmet I bought despite the air vents through it. Can anyone
recommend a different helmet that won't have me struggling with heat
exhaustion quite so quickly?

Must ... resist ... must ... resist

She should just ride without one when it's hot, or when it's cold, or
when it's in between. Helmets do nothing except protect one from
minor injuries such as cuts and bruises.

I don't recall ever seeing you ride without one.

That's cuz we haven't ridden on the road. Yet. I hit too many low bridges
off-road so wear a helmet.

Sometimes I take hand held photos while riding one handed off-road with no
helmet:

http://www.2fortheroad.net/2002trip/ugly_mug1.jpg

Greg