BIkes & Trains - Refused access even though I had a reservation :-|

Old May 3rd 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default BIkes & Trains - Refused access even though I had a reservation :-|

OK, I've got no problems with the guard who was in a difficult position
with an overful train (two bloody carriages this morning) but I am
rather peed off that I got a bike reservation for that train only to
find I was the only passenger refused access.

The guard on the following train also refused me access because he had
an overful train ('sorry mate, should have four coaches but they've
only given me two.') but I had a great big whinge at him (the train
wasn't quite so packed as the previous one) and I squeezed myself +
bike on.

Reckon I've got a good chance of compensation?

Talking to someone from GNER last week it seems that the terms of the
franchise agreements make it better for the train companies to put on
many short trains rather than a few longer ones... hey ho I guess
that's one for uk.railway

Old May 3rd 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon L wrote:

.... hey ho I guess
that's one for uk.railway

I wouldn't bother they'll probably accuse you of being a scrounging
lycra lout taking up the place of fare paying passengers... sorry pax

Old May 3rd 06, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon L wrote:
I am rather peed off that I got a bike reservation for that train only to
find I was the only passenger refused access.

Reckon I've got a good chance of compensation?

Suggest you post this on uk.railway for the best chance of a
well-informed opinion.

Jon

Old May 3rd 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon L wrote:
Reckon I've got a good chance of compensation?

You could try getting a full refund for the price you paid for your bike to be
carried (ie nothing). IMO this is a reason why trains should sell tickets for
bicycle spaces so we have some guarentee of carriage
Old May 3rd 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

lid wrote:

IMO this is a reason why trains
should sell tickets for bicycle spaces so we have some guarentee of
carriage

Yeah. And the same should go for suitcases and pushchairs -- bloody
scroungers.

Old May 3rd 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote in message
Simon L wrote:
Reckon I've got a good chance of compensation?

You could try getting a full refund for the price you paid for your bike

to be
carried (ie nothing). IMO this is a reason why trains should sell tickets

for
bicycle spaces so we have some guarentee of carriage

I think that you will find in the small print that unless you have a booked
seat there is no obligation for them to carry you on any given train let
alone your bike no matter how much you have paid.

If they are unable to provide the service you are entitled to a refund - not
that it helps you get home.

Dave

Old May 3rd 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon L wrote:
OK, I've got no problems with the guard who was in a difficult position
with an overful train (two bloody carriages this morning) but I am
rather peed off that I got a bike reservation for that train only to
find I was the only passenger refused access.

In my experience cycle reservations are meaningless. Sometimes I've had
one and sometimes I haven't but I've never been asked to produce it. On
occasions where I've been refused access it would have made no
difference at all as either a) the cycle spaces were already occupied,
or b) there was no provision for carrying cycles at all.

--
Dave...

Old May 3rd 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"dkahn400" writes:

Simon L wrote:
OK, I've got no problems with the guard who was in a difficult position
with an overful train (two bloody carriages this morning) but I am
rather peed off that I got a bike reservation for that train only to
find I was the only passenger refused access.

In my experience cycle reservations are meaningless. Sometimes I've had
one and sometimes I haven't but I've never been asked to produce it. On
occasions where I've been refused access it would have made no
difference at all as either a) the cycle spaces were already occupied,
or b) there was no provision for carrying cycles at all.

Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
Peterborough in July....
Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham,
probably with a few days detour on the way back.

Roos
Old May 3rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:10:48 +0000, Roos Eisma wrote:
Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
Peterborough in July....
Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham,
probably with a few days detour on the way back.

Assuming I haven't managed to cart it over here, Hooves2 is still chez mes
parents, about 20 miles south of Peterbruff! If you are liable to find
yourselves in the area, my parents are reasonably friendly (As Mr Causer
of this parish will hopefully testify) and could be relied upon to make
suitable admiring noises and ply you with tea / fresh water.

Jon
Old May 3rd 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:10:48 +0000, Roos Eisma wrote:

Just keep everything crossed that GNER will take us and the 'bents to
Peterborough in July....
Plan is to cycle from there to friends' wedding in North Elmham, probably
with a few days detour on the way back.

The Cambridge Recumbent Tendency have a ride on Friday lunchtime from near
the city centre to places near & far, depending on weather, time
available, and whether there are guests present. Any possibility of
joining us?

Mike