When to bicycle the perimeter of Australia

Old November 19th 06, 11:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default When to bicycle the perimeter of Australia

I have posted some stuff regarding biking in Australia before, so
here's an update.

I want to know more exactly when I should go to Australia to start
biking.

Here is the data.

1. Arrive in either Perth, Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. Depart from
the same city.
2. Bike the perimeter of Australia on paved roads only.
3. Bike counter clockwise to avoid headwinds
4. Bike +200 km/day. In total there is roughly 14000 km. This means
that the entire trip is done in approx. 70 days (little more than 2
months).

Question: When should I go to avoid excess heat in the north and chilly
weather in the south?

PS: To some +200 km/day might seem rediculus, but for me it is a normal
pace.

Thanks a lot, Lucas Jensen

Old November 19th 06, 07:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Why don't you just **** off and do your own research, like searching
this group for the previous answers.

Maybe I should reconsider going to Australia (read: unpolite people
down under)!

As for the polite people down under (if they exist): I'm from the
northern hemisphere. I have absolutely know clue whatsoever how it's
like on the southern hemisphere. Australia is so big with all kinds of
micro/macro climates - hence this is why I'm asking. And yes I have
been searching this group.

Sincerely, Lucas

Old November 19th 06, 07:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

wrote:
Why don't you just **** off and do your own research, like searching
this group for the previous answers.

Maybe I should reconsider going to Australia (read: unpolite people
down under)!

As for the polite people down under (if they exist): I'm from the
northern hemisphere. I have absolutely know clue whatsoever how it's
like on the southern hemisphere. Australia is so big with all kinds of
micro/macro climates - hence this is why I'm asking. And yes I have
been searching this group.

Sincerely, Lucas

If you let that get under your skin, you'll never get offshore past the
occasional rude pom. We don't all bite, but it won't be the last time
someone tells you.

As for climates, think doing a full lap of the Mediterranean on coast
and inland, in all seasons.

Donga

Old November 20th 06, 07:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

wrote in message

I want to know more exactly when I should go to Australia to start
biking.

Here is the data.

1. Arrive in either Perth, Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. Depart from
the same city.

You really need to nail down exactly where you'll start from first. If it's
Melbourne I'd be heading north around March, form Sydney I'd be leaving
about April, be out of Brisbane by May to use the dry season across the top.

2. Bike the perimeter of Australia on paved roads only.
3. Bike counter clockwise to avoid headwinds
4. Bike +200 km/day. In total there is roughly 14000 km. This means
that the entire trip is done in approx. 70 days (little more than 2
months).

S&*t man! Are you on some record-breaking kick? There was a German guy who
tried this approach a few years back, riding 200-250 km/day. He left Sydney,
stayed in motels the whole way, and kept it up until somewhere on the west
coast near Geraldton where he had some sort of breakdown, and took a truck
lift to Perth. He had it all up on a website, kinda funny in a very sad way.
This is not the way to see Australia, you'll just see the white centre line
and cheap motel ceilings. If you've really just got 2 months then start in
Brisbane in October, work your way south down the coast to Victoria then do
Tasmania. Great cycling country.

Question: When should I go to avoid excess heat in the north and chilly
weather in the south?

PS: To some +200 km/day might seem rediculus, but for me it is a normal
pace.

If you really want to try to go around the country in just 2 months you
won't be able to avoid less then ideal conditions. Maybe start from Sydney
in late September (still cool but warming up), go across the north in
October (later dry season gets very hot I believe), down to Perth and do the
Nullarbor in November (could be windy, but mostly tailwinds).

Better you than me!!
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 20th 06, 11:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

Go to the BOM web site and have a look at the maps showing temperature,
wind, and rainfall: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/.

My suggestion would be to start from Perth in Autumn (say April), to mostly
avoid 40C temperatures while riding East, and that should have you crossing
the North in early winter during the dry season.

Nick

ups.com...

Old November 20th 06, 10:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Nick Payne wrote:
Go to the BOM web site and have a look at the maps showing
temperature, wind, and rainfall:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/.
My suggestion would be to start from Perth in Autumn (say April), to
mostly avoid 40C temperatures while riding East, and that should have
you crossing the North in early winter during the dry season.

To get a tailwind across the Nullarbor from Perth you need to go in Summer.

Theo