Inappropriate LBS Service

Old October 3rd 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Everett

Default Inappropriate LBS Service

I was co-leader of a Sierra Club outing in Kentucky last week. One of
our participants, upon finding out I was a cyclist, related a somewhat
disturbing story about his dealings with a bike shop in the Cleveland
area. It should be pointed out that I only received his side of the
story.

Our participant was male, 68 years old, over-weight, and demonstarted
balance problems. Seems he wanted to work on his physical condition
and decided to buy a bike. He went to what sounds like a high-end bike
shop who put him on a Size-Cycle, or Fit-Kit or one of those and did a
full measurement. Based on this they ordered a custom built Co-Motion
(Reynolds 853) which the shop built up with Campy Chorus; total cost
about $3500.

I don't know how long he's had the bike, but he hasn't ridden it yet.
Turn's out he can't get his leg over the saddle. When he took it back
to the bike shop to complain that "it didn't fit" (his perception,
since he couldn't swing his leg over the bike) the woman in the shop
suggested he go home and work on his limberness. What kind of service
is that?

Turns out one of our other participants had brought along his
Cannondale, so I borrowed it to demonstrate how to get on a bike by
laying it down, stepping over the main triangle, then lifting the bike
back up. Our Co-Motion owner managed to do this even though the 56cm
'dale was about 4cm too big for him. Hopefully upon returning home
he's managed to do this with his bike.

I'm wondering what shop (they also deal in Waterfords and other
high-end custom-built bikes) would allow a customer to order something
he pretty clearly isn't physically equipped to ride, the dismiss him
with the "limberness" comment? Of course there's always their side of
the story. ;-)

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old October 3rd 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Oct 3, 9:49 am, John Everett
wrote:
[...]

I don't know the whole story, either, but wonder about someone going
out and spending so much on something he may not like or even be able
to do (you mentioned his balance problems). Seems like a much less
expensive cruiser type bikes from one of the major manufacturers would
have been a better starting point.

Smokey

Old October 3rd 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

The person is 68 years old and has balance problems? My first impulse
would be to get them on a catrike or wizwheels... but I guess the LBS
employee has gotta to sell the bikes that the store stocks.

The part of the story that sounds fishy is that the LBSer took 'em
from the front door to the fit-kit straight away. I've gone with my
mama to the bike shop and listened to her try to explain what she
wants enough to know that the root of the communications problem isn't
always on the end of the shop keeper. Mama's right in this person's
age group, she just bought a new Rans Zenetic Pro, it was considerably
less than what your Sierra club buddy paid, I think it's gonna be a
better match for her than the last two or three LBS purchases. The
trike was not an option for Mama as leaning her head back is just as
bad as leaning it forward, her's needs to be directly over her
shoulders all the time.

Old October 4th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1229_]

Dennis The Bald wrote:
The person is 68 years old and has balance problems? My first impulse
would be to get them on a catrike or wizwheels... but I guess the LBS
employee has gotta to sell the bikes that the store stocks.

Once you ride a suspended trike, it is hard to put up with the
discomfort of a non-suspended trike; especially since you WILL end up
hitting a lot of potholes with the rear wheel. Catrike and WizWheelz,
take note!

...she just bought a new Rans Zenetic Pro...

Er, that is "RANS".

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old October 4th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Thomas of Cannondale

When out touring ;; I sometimes can't get my leg up over the panniers,
bicycle, etc.

So: I use a curb. Simple enough.

The guy paid $3500 for a bicycle and he is complaining?

Only in America.

==================

Old October 4th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Kruger

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
Dennis The Bald wrote:

...she just bought a new Rans Zenetic Pro...

Er, that is "RANS".

First RANS vehicle had 3 wheels -- the sailtrike, complete with sail.
Here's a picture
http://www.ransbikes.com/aboutrans.htm

Old October 4th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Our participant was male, 68 years old, over-weight, and demonstarted
balance problems. Seems he wanted to work on his physical condition
and decided to buy a bike. He went to what sounds like a high-end bike
shop who put him on a Size-Cycle, or Fit-Kit or one of those and did a
full measurement. Based on this they ordered a custom built Co-Motion
(Reynolds 853) which the shop built up with Campy Chorus; total cost
about $3500.

I'm wondering what shop (they also deal in Waterfords and other
high-end custom-built bikes) would allow a customer to order something
he pretty clearly isn't physically equipped to ride, the dismiss him
with the "limberness" comment? Of course there's always their side of
the story. ;-)

We really don't have enough to go on here, but there *are* people in this
world who get an idea in their head and go out and do stupid things, despite
good advise from the shop to do otherwise. Could be that the shop wanted him
to take a bike out to try in the real world, a bike that might have been
close to what the measurements recommended, and he refused, saying don't
worry, this is what I want to do, do you want my money or not? I have
actually had to refuse selling expensive bikes once in a while to people
like that, and doing so puts you on that fine line between being considered
patronizing vs looking out for someone's best interests.

I'd be interested in hearing more of the story.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 4th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 05:31:04 GMT, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing more of the story.

I'd be interested in hearing about other innovative ways of getting people
onto bikes - lowered with a winch while one's squire holds the bike, maybe,
like armour-laden knights of yore?
Old October 4th 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Oct 3, 11:39 pm, Michael Warner wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing about other innovative ways of getting people
onto bikes - lowered with a winch while one's squire holds the bike, maybe,
like armour-laden knights of yore?

I like to jump off the top of the saloon directly onto the bicycle and
take off.

Seriously, there's always this one: start by standing next to the bike
with both hands on the bars. Adjust the left pedal so it is in about
10:30 position. Place left foot on left pedal, push off, and swing
right leg over saddle all in one motion. Feels awkward at first, takes
about five or ten tries to get the feel of it. This allows you to step
over the bike from the height of the pedal rather than the ground.

The other good ways have already been mentioned -- use a step of some
sort, curb works perfectly. Or lean the bike over enough to get the
leg over.

A saddle adjusted to the proper height is not always going to be the
easiest thing to get a leg over.

Robert

Old October 4th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Oct 3, 11:31 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
We really don't have enough to go on here, but there *are* people in this
world who get an idea in their head and go out and do stupid things, despite
good advise from the shop to do otherwise. Could be that the shop wanted him
to take a bike out to try in the real world, a bike that might have been
close to what the measurements recommended, and he refused, saying don't
worry, this is what I want to do, do you want my money or not? I have
actually had to refuse selling expensive bikes once in a while to people
like that, and doing so puts you on that fine line between being considered
patronizing vs looking out for someone's best interests.

This reminds of something that happened to my girlfriend when she went
to the shop a few years ago to purchase a high-end cross country
racing mtb. She had done her research, saved her money, and was going
to spend more than 4k$. She is an incredibly gifted and accomplished
cyclist, but when she went to the shop and asked to ride the bike she
wanted, the sales guy said 'you don't want that' and showed her entry-
level bikes instead, probably thinking he was doing her a favor. She
left and went to another shop and bought her bike there. Whoops.

Robert

lip service landotter Techniques 6 June 19th 07 11:28 AM
A new inappropriate ad in BuyCy$ling Veloise General 0 April 25th 06 03:17 AM
Inappropriate advertisement Lloyd Payne Social Issues 3 March 23rd 06 12:41 AM
Inappropriate AD in Bicycling Magazine Lloyd Payne General 47 March 18th 06 07:19 PM
useful service Robert UK 3 February 1st 06 01:02 PM