Bayonne

Old July 23rd 03, 06:14 PM
Roger Bogda

Default Bayonne

It is metaphor....

"K. J. Papai" wrote in message
om...
"Roger Bogda" wrote in message

m...
First there was WWII, Bayonne played a part, the Allies won....

Now there is WWIII and Bayonne once again plays it part.....hopefully

with
the same ultimate result!

Roger B

You equate WW III with the Tour? WTF?

Old July 23rd 03, 07:34 PM
Clovis Lark

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:14:37 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
wrote:

"Benjamin Werner" wrote in message
"Roger Bogda" writes:

First there was WWII, Bayonne played a part, the Allies won....

Now there is WWIII and Bayonne once again plays it part.....hopefully
with
the same ultimate result!

Hum, I am afraid you are confirming the cliches about americans'
weak knowledge of foreign geography.

Dumbass -

Don't even get into foreign - Americans have weak knowledge of domestic
geography.

And yet we still have the most dominant army, economy and bike racer
in the world. Strange.

You Dumbass -

Those are unrelated.

It's a fact that as a whole we are geographically ignorant.

from:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/e..._8n21geog.html

Only 13 percent of young Americans can pick out Iraq on a map, despite the
possibility of a U.S.-led war against that country. Even after last year's
war in Afghanistan, only 17 percent can find that country on a map.

Unfortunately, the bomber pilots were from the minority...

snip

Other lowlights of the survey:

11 percent of Americans surveyed could not find the United States on an
unlabeled map of the world.

More young Americans knew that last season's "Survivor" television show was
filmed on an island in the South Pacific than could locate New Jersey on a
map.

Of the Americans taking the quiz, 29 percent couldn't find the Pacific
Ocean, 58 percent couldn't locate Japan, and 69 percent couldn't pick out
the United Kingdom.

begin 666 utbullet.gif
M1TE&.#EA!0`'`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````%```0 ('C(\)NZD,
$"@`[````
`
end

Old July 24th 03, 05:38 AM
Raptor

wrote:

Don't even get into foreign - Americans have weak knowledge of domestic
geography.

And yet we still have the most dominant army, economy and bike racer
in the world. Strange.

JP

You don't need to know where you are to blow something up.
You don't need to know where something came from to buy it, or sell
there. (Only the transporters need to know.)
At least one American has a pretty good grasp of (Western European)
geography.

Not saying much.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 24th 03, 08:01 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

wrote:

Don't even get into foreign - Americans have weak knowledge of domestic
geography.

And yet we still have the most dominant army, economy and bike racer
in the world. Strange.

JP

You don't need to know where you are to blow something up.
You don't need to know where something came from to buy it, or sell
there. (Only the transporters need to know.)
At least one American has a pretty good grasp of (Western European)
geography.

Not saying much.

Should the electorate be informed when it comes to making decisions on
foreign policy issues? Incorrect data/beliefs leads to faulty conclusions
which leads to faulty actions.

This bit of ignorance was in the news recently.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...7/23_hole.html

Some recent polls reveal 59% of Americans believe Saddam Hussein was
involved in 9/11, and 50% believe Iraqis were among the 9/11 hijackers. 41%
believe that WMD's have been found in Iraq, and 22% of Americans believe
Iraq used weapons of mass destruction during the U.S. invasion.

snipend

Old July 24th 03, 09:33 AM

wrote:

Dumbass -

Don't even get into foreign - Americans have weak knowledge of domestic
geography.

And yet we still have the most dominant army, economy and bike racer
in the world. Strange.

So.. when a gorilla is beating you over the head, do you change your
opinion of gorillas and start thinking of them as intellectually
superior?

GK
Old July 24th 03, 10:02 AM
Robert Chung

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...

Should the electorate be informed when it comes to making decisions
on foreign policy issues?

I believe the answer is (evidently) clear: the public's ignorance is not a
problem to overcome; rather, it is an opportunity to exploit.

Old July 24th 03, 02:39 PM
Benjamin Weiner

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message

"Benjamin Werner" wrote in message

Hum, I am afraid you are confirming the cliches about americans'
weak knowledge of foreign geography.

Don't even get into foreign - Americans have weak knowledge of domestic
geography.

And yet we still have the most dominant army, economy and bike racer
in the world. Strange.

You Dumbass -
Those are unrelated.

Wrong, Henry. Cause and effect are reversed. Americans can get away
with being ignorant of foreign geography because we have the biggest
economy (and because the countries on our borders are not military
or economic threats). In the rest of the world they have to know who
their neighbors are and what the capital of the USA is (and they
also have at least a vague idea of New York and LA because we
export our TV and movies that are set in those places).

I just stepped out of a vintage/hipster clothing store in Sydney where
I saw a green and yellow jersey - and on the back it said "FAVRE".

Old July 24th 03, 03:55 PM
Clovis Lark

Robert Chung wrote:

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...

Should the electorate be informed when it comes to making decisions
on foreign policy issues?

I believe the answer is (evidently) clear: the public's ignorance is not a
problem to overcome; rather, it is an opportunity to exploit.

Indeed, one might think that the current overlords believe the electorate
should know nothing and do as told. Monsieur Ashcroft has even made open
statements suggesting this.

Old July 24th 03, 03:58 PM
Clovis Lark

wrote:

Dumbass -

Don't even get into foreign - Americans have weak knowledge of domestic
geography.

And yet we still have the most dominant army, economy and bike racer
in the world. Strange.

So.. when a gorilla is beating you over the head, do you change your
opinion of gorillas and start thinking of them as intellectually
superior?

Speaking of gorillas:

Winner: "All Creatures Great and Small" Category

His knowing brown eyes held her gaze for a seeming eternity, his powerful
arms clasped her slim body in an irresistible embrace, and from his broad,
hairy chest a primal smell of "male" tantalized her nostrils; "Looks like
another long night in the ape house" thought veterinarian Abigail Brown as
she gingerly reached for the constipated gorilla's suppository.

Paul Jeffery
Oxford, England

GK

Old July 24th 03, 04:00 PM
David Ryan

Clovis Lark wrote:

Robert Chung wrote:

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...

Should the electorate be informed when it comes to making decisions
on foreign policy issues?

I believe the answer is (evidently) clear: the public's ignorance is not a
problem to overcome; rather, it is an opportunity to exploit.

Indeed, one might think that the current overlords believe the electorate
should know nothing and do as told. Monsieur Ashcroft has even made open
statements suggesting this.

Those of us who are informed are more dangerous.