Tubeless Tires

Old April 10th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tubeless Tires

Seems like no one knows anything about anything other than lights or bottom brackets breaking.

I very seldom need lights and have never broken a bottom bracket of any type.

But perhaps someone knows about tubeless tires.

What is the difference between a tubeless tire rim and a normal clincher?

Also as I recall you have to put some sort of rim liner in. The one I looked at looked like foam rubber. How do you push a new tire on across that without dislocating it?

And since you have to put slime in the tire to stop small leaks, I assume that you always have to rotate the wheels with the filler on the bottom whenever you stop?

Has anyone any experience with tubeless tires and if so what did you think of them?
Old April 10th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 8:48:00 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/10/2017 9:42 AM, wrote:
Seems like no one knows anything about anything other than lights or bottom brackets breaking.

I very seldom need lights and have never broken a bottom bracket of any type.

But perhaps someone knows about tubeless tires.

What is the difference between a tubeless tire rim and a normal clincher?

Also as I recall you have to put some sort of rim liner in. The one I looked at looked like foam rubber. How do you push a new tire on across that without dislocating it?

And since you have to put slime in the tire to stop small leaks, I assume that you always have to rotate the wheels with the filler on the bottom whenever you stop?

Has anyone any experience with tubeless tires and if so what did you think of them?

As with wire spoked car/motorcycle wheels, to modify a
spoked rim to tubeless you'll need an airtight liner. Rims
designed for tubeless don't have spoke holes inside the rim.

Either way, valves bolt through the rim.

A latex solution to seal the tire edges against the rim is
in theory not necessary but in practice essential.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Technologies/2_way_fit

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Can you actually measure the difference in friction saved by tubeless vs tubed tires?

I know it sound rediculous but I actually did see the difference in speed simply by shaving my legs. But after I came back from the concussion my legs looked like I was a Yeti.
Old April 11th 17, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 7:30:47 PM UTC-7, bob prohaska wrote:
wrote:

Also as I recall you have to put some sort of rim liner in. The one I looked at looked like foam rubber. How do you push a new tire on across that without dislocating it?

That sounds like bib mousse on a motorcycle. It's a foam tube used
in place of an inflated inner tube on motorcycles. Heavy, high rolling
resistance, hard to mount. Also largely indestructible.....

A more elegant solution is called "tubliss", also for motorcycles.
Schwalbe offered something similar for bicycles, but I think there's
a patent dispute between the respective companies. I'm using Tubliss
on a motorcycle and it seems to work quite well. A bit of web-searching
will turn up a wealth of information.

The most fundamental issue with tubeless tires is that there has to be
something (interference fit, inflatable bead lock, mechanical clamp) to
make the tire seal absolutely to the rim. Ordinary bicycle rims, even
hooked-seat types, don't provide a positive fit and seal.

hth,

bob prohaska

Bob - Tubeless tires were heavily advertised a couple of years ago. They were supposed to be the coming thing. While initially they needed a special rim without spoke holes later they have some sort of rim liner that at least on top looked like foam rubber.

I didn't bother with them since it looked to me like they would be heavier than a normal tire and tube assembly since they had that rim liner, the heavy filler with a positive rim seal and the slime that you put in the tire.

But after the roads have gotten so bad around here I have somewhat reconsidered since they wouldn't flat so easily.
Old April 12th 17, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

wrote:

Bob - Tubeless tires were heavily advertised a couple of years ago. They were supposed to be the coming thing. While initially they needed a special rim without spoke holes later they have some sort of rim liner that at least on top looked like foam rubber.

I didn't bother with them since it looked to me like they would be heavier than a normal tire and tube assembly since they had that rim liner, the heavy filler with a positive rim seal and the slime that you put in the tire.

But after the roads have gotten so bad around here I have somewhat reconsidered since they wouldn't flat so easily.

In the absence of a rim with a retaining ridge and a tire bead that locks
over it I don't think there's much point in tubeless tires on bicycles. With
such a rim, I think they'd be a great improvement over inner tubes. Very
likely the precision of fit between tire and rim is the impediment.
To the best of my knowledge, nobody is making a rim dedicated to tubeless
bicycle tires. And, nobody is making tires with impermeable rubber films.

The biggest advantage of the Tubliss system on motorcycles is the ability
to run ultra-low pressure for soft ground without having the tire creep
on the rim, ripping the tube air stem out. It also makes plugs viable as
puncture repairs, much quicker than tube repair. Neither case applies very
directly to bicycles.

For day-to-day bicyclists like me, tubes seem an inevitable evil.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

tubeless tires steve Techniques 2 March 14th 08 12:18 PM
FS: Michelin Tubeless MTB tires Norman Flye Marketplace 1 October 11th 05 03:30 AM
Tubeless vs Tubed Tires mary General 6 April 19th 05 02:53 PM
Tubeless tires MT Techniques 2 March 30th 05 09:08 AM
tubeless tires Operator Mountain Biking 10 July 26th 04 10:39 AM