Blue railway signals?

Old December 13th 18, 05:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Fred Johnson

Default Blue railway signals?

Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green, railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has it disappeared from Google?
Old December 13th 18, 05:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Steve Walker[_6_]

On 13/12/2018 16:42, Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways?* Can't find
any evidence on google.* I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green,
railways always had a 4th blue light.* What does it mean and why has it
disappeared from Google?

Never heard of it.

4 (& 5)-aspect signals have always had red, green and two ambers as far
as I know.

I know that the semaphore signals had lenses that were red and blue, but
they definitely showed as red and green when lit from behind by
yellowish oil lamps at night.

SteveW
Old December 13th 18, 06:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Marland

Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find
any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green,
railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has it
disappeared from Google?

Two possibilities but the first doesn’t really fit with your interpretation
of a 4 th aspect.
The glass in semaphore signal arms could be seen as blue if viewed in a
certain light as the the lens was a bluish glass to when illuminated at
night from an oil lamp or in later years a lowish watt electric lamp the
yellow flame /filament colour combined with the blue to indicate green.
The other is that you have seen or are referring to somewhere other than
the UK where blue is sometimes used.

GH

Old December 13th 18, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 4:42:40 PM UTC, Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green, railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has it disappeared from Google?

Can anyone remember a time when motorists obeyed traffic lights? Or speed limits?
Old December 13th 18, 06:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

Fred Johnson wrote

Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways?
Can't find any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars
have red/amber/green, railways always had a 4th blue light.
What does it mean

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railwa...nal#Components

and why has it disappeared from Google?

It hasn't.
Old December 13th 18, 07:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Max Demian

On 13/12/2018 16:57, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/12/2018 16:42, Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways?* Can't find
any evidence on google.* I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green,
railways always had a 4th blue light.* What does it mean and why has
it disappeared from Google?

Never heard of it.

4 (& 5)-aspect signals have always had red, green and two ambers as far
as I know.

I know that the semaphore signals had lenses that were red and blue, but
they definitely showed as red and green when lit from behind by
yellowish oil lamps at night.

The glass in green traffic signals used to look blue to me - when they
had the dual-filament tungsten lamps.

--
Max Demian
Old December 13th 18, 07:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:42:41 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson",
"Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson", etc.), the pathological
resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs, blathered again:

FLUSH the abnormal sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic
attention-baiting bull**** unread again

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
Old December 13th 18, 07:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOTS Alert!

On 13 Dec 2018 17:01:02 GMT, Marland, another braindead, troll-feeding,
senile idiot, blathered:

Two possibilities but the first doesn˘t really fit with your interpretation
of a 4 th aspect.

ONE and ONLY possibility: it's the sociopathic Peter Hucker troll himself,
hiding behind a new nym! "Think" about it, if it doesn't hurt you too much!
Old December 13th 18, 07:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:57:52 +0000, Steve ******, the notorious,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

disappeared from Google?

Never heard of it.

Ever heard of a troll named Hucker, senile idiot? The very troll whose cock
you INSTINCTIVELY suck whenever he appears under a new nym? LOL
Old December 13th 18, 07:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Fred Johnson

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 17:01:02 -0000, Marland wrote:

Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find
any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green,
railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has it
disappeared from Google?

Two possibilities but the first doesn’t really fit with your interpretation
of a 4 th aspect.
The glass in semaphore signal arms could be seen as blue if viewed in a
certain light as the the lens was a bluish glass to when illuminated at
night from an oil lamp or in later years a lowish watt electric lamp the
yellow flame /filament colour combined with the blue to indicate green..
The other is that you have seen or are referring to somewhere other than
the UK where blue is sometimes used.

This was definitely in the UK, and I remember it as a lit blue electric lamp, one of 4 lamps on the column. It was very blue and not green at all. This was about 30 years ago. I vaguely remember asking someone at the time and he agreed that there were blue lamps and they meant something different to the red/amber/green on roads, but he wasn't sure what. The only reference I can find to blue lights on a google search are seperate ones indicating the edge of a tunnel etc, but not part of a "traffic light" set.

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 04:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 02:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM