Parents of girl hit by a cyclist count their blessings

Old December 20th 18, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Parents of girl hit by a cyclist count their blessings

The cyclist was not blamed for the girl's injuries.

QUOTE:
"She said: "A lot of corners around the road are blind corners. *****Parking on the road obscures the view***** (EMPHASIS MINE), especially at school pick-up time.

"Jessica was just standing with a group of kids and I think what she did was just step forward (into the road).

"It was horrible and there was a lot of children who witnessed it. I think some of them have been really upset by it.

"I know there's a lot of parents at the school who have been concerned about the situation.

"Something's got to give because ***** if it had been a car I dread to think what would have happened*****."(EMPHASIS MINE)

The issue was brought up at a full council meeting on Wednesday, by Ossett ward councillor Lynn Masterman, who asked for the local authority to "intervene".

She said: "In the past we've requested a crossing for Church Street, near Holy Trinity.

"Unfortunately a few weeks ago, a little girl was knocked over by a cyclist. She had really bad facial injuries.

"If it had been a car she could have been killed." APPLAUSE
ENDS

She will be more careful in the future and will learn from the experience, hopefully.

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/n...hool-1-9503747
Old December 21st 18, 02:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 20/12/2018 20:16, wrote:

The cyclist was not blamed for the girl's injuries.

QUOTE:
"She said: "A lot of corners around the road are blind corners. *****Parking on the road obscures the view***** (EMPHASIS MINE), especially at school pick-up time.

In that case, all road-users are supposed to slow to a speed from which
they can *stop* *within* *the* *distance* *they* *can* *see* *to* *be*
*clear*. [emphasis mine]

That includes, and certainly does not exclude, cyclists.

No-one - not even a cyclist - has any sort of legal right to proceed any
faster than that and needing an excuse ("it was a blind corner")
indicates fault, not lack of blame.

Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I could
not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a pedestrian or
anything else. But that cyclist has.

"Jessica was just standing with a group of kids and I think what she did was just step forward (into the road).

"It was horrible and there was a lot of children who witnessed it. I think some of them have been really upset by it.

"I know there's a lot of parents at the school who have been concerned about the situation.

"Something's got to give because ***** if it had been a car I dread to think what would have happened*****."(EMPHASIS MINE)

But it wasn't a car driver who came around that bend too fast to stop,
was it?

it was a *cyclist*. [emphasis mine]

The issue was brought up at a full council meeting on Wednesday, by Ossett ward councillor Lynn Masterman, who asked for the local authority to "intervene".

She said: "In the past we've requested a crossing for Church Street, near Holy Trinity.

"Unfortunately a few weeks ago, a little girl was knocked over by a cyclist. She had really bad facial injuries.

"If it had been a car she could have been killed." APPLAUSE
ENDS

There's no point in putting a crossing near a blind bend if cyclists are
still going to hurtle round it too fast to be able to stop in time. Not
even if they were prepared to respect the rights of pedestrians when
they could actually see them (and as we all know, that's not something
which can be guaranteed).

She will be more careful in the future and will learn from the experience, hopefully.

It wasn't her fault.

As described (and taking into account the proffered excuse), it was the
cyclist's fault.

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/n...hool-1-9503747

Was the girl who suffered really bad facial injuries struck by a car or
by a bicycle?

Old December 21st 18, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 8:16:24 PM UTC, wrote:
The cyclist was not blamed for the girl's injuries.

QUOTE:
"She said: "A lot of corners around the road are blind corners. *****Parking on the road obscures the view***** (EMPHASIS MINE), especially at school pick-up time.

"Jessica was just standing with a group of kids and I think what she did was *****just step forward***** (EMPHASIS MINE) (into the road).

When I was at school we were taught by Tufty?? "Look right, look left, look right again. If all clear, quick march!"

I believe it was replaced soon after by the Green Cross Code, which stated the same thing, more or less." LOOK before crossing the roads! Maybe that school needs a visit from the local plod to give a playtime talk?

Old December 21st 18, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 21/12/2018 01:28, JNugent wrote:

Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I could
not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a pedestrian or
anything else.

How do you know?
Old December 21st 18, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 8:46:07 AM UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 8:16:24 PM UTC, wrote:
The cyclist was not blamed for the girl's injuries.

QUOTE:
"She said: "A lot of corners around the road are blind corners. *****Parking on the road obscures the view***** (EMPHASIS MINE), especially at school pick-up time.

"Jessica was just standing with a group of kids and I think what she did was *****just step forward***** (EMPHASIS MINE) (into the road).

When I was at school we were taught by Tufty?? "Look right, look left, look right again. If all clear, quick march!"

I believe it was replaced soon after by the Green Cross Code, which stated the same thing, more or less." LOOK before crossing the roads! Maybe that school needs a visit from the local plod to give a playtime talk?

That said, I did hit and kill a hen pheasant near Thixendale last week, even though I was driving at 20mph. It ran out from the undergrowth and I even though I slammed on my brakes, I could not stop in time. Still, at least it did not get shot by a hunting party in nearby Leavening!

Old December 21st 18, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Perhaps they could buy a few of these that I often see here in Yorkshire?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a4/45...d1d36752ce.jpg
Old December 21st 18, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 9:25:03 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
When I was at school we were taught by Tufty?? "Look right, look
left, look right again. If all clear, quick march!"

I believe it was replaced soon after by the Green Cross Code, which
stated the same thing, more or less." LOOK before crossing the roads!
Maybe that school needs a visit from the local plod to give a
playtime talk?

It's probably because of the popularity of cars the size of a block of
flats. When a few are abandoned at the roadside, pedestrians don't have
the opportunity to look.

Alternatively those travelling along the road past parked vehicles
should be obliged to do what Nugent does and slow down to 3.5mph.

The main problem in this sad case would seem to be this though.

QUOTE:

"The area, outside Holy Trinity Church of England Primary School, used to be staffed by a lollipop lady, but she has *****not been replaced***** (EMPHASIS MINE) since leaving her post in April, parents say.

Now they are calling for urgent action be taken at the crossing to avoid a repeat incident.

Jessica suffered heavy bruising around her nose and eyes but is now recovering well.

Her mum, Becci Roberts, said that she ***did not*** blame the cyclist (EMPHASIS MINE)for what happened, but says that the layout of the road is hazardous."

Old December 21st 18, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 21/12/2018 09:34, wrote:
[...]

Quite so. But since this is ukrc, the tradition that it would never have
happened with a driver in a motor vehicle must be upheld.
Old December 21st 18, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 10:48:42 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/12/2018 09:34, wrote:
[...]

To be fair it could happen, but it would be the pedestrian's fault.