Wheel building questions

Old October 12th 04, 02:41 PM
big Pete

Default Wheel building questions

David L. Johnson Wrote:

You probably have them already, but if not I recommend butted spokes.
They make a more reliable wheel.

I am a big guy (245 pounds last time I checked) will butted spokes mak
that big of a strength difference in the wheel? I did not buy the ri
and spokes yet. I am thinking of a Sun double walled rim with eyelet
that I can get for a good price. And the spokes are 14 gauge stainles
steal (non butted) as stated in the my first post. I will Also try t
make a dish stick. Looks like I am able to make it from the suggestion
you guys have given me.

Thank you all

Pet

--
big Pete

Old October 12th 04, 02:48 PM
daveornee

big Pete Wrote:
I am a big guy (245 pounds last time I checked) will butted spokes make
that big of a strength difference in the wheel? I did not buy the rim
and spokes yet. I am thinking of a Sun double walled rim with eyelets
that I can get for a good price. And the spokes are 14 gauge stainless
steal (non butted) as stated in the my first post. I will Also try to
make a dish stick. Looks like I am able to make it from the suggestions
you guys have given me.

Thank you all

Pete

DT or Sapim 14/15 double butted spokes will make the wheel more
durable, but not as stiff.
Suggested Reading: "the Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt. The book is
available in some library systems as well as for purchase.

--
daveornee

Old October 12th 04, 05:39 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:41:14 +1000, big Pete
wrote:

David L. Johnson Wrote:

You probably have them already, but if not I recommend butted spokes.
They make a more reliable wheel.

I am a big guy (245 pounds last time I checked) will butted spokes make
that big of a strength difference in the wheel? I did not buy the rim
and spokes yet. I am thinking of a Sun double walled rim with eyelets
that I can get for a good price. And the spokes are 14 gauge stainless
steal (non butted) as stated in the my first post. I will Also try to
make a dish stick. Looks like I am able to make it from the suggestions
you guys have given me.

Thank you all

Pete

Dear Pete,

Both thick 14 gauge spokes and thin butted spokes with 14
gauge ends and a 15 gauge middle are more than strong enough
to bear the loads--they break at the ends, not in the
middle.

Double-butted spokes keep the ends thick to try to reduce
such breaks.

Their advantage is that, being thinner for most of their
length, they stretch more and therefore are less likely to
lose all tension (a bad thing) as they roll under the hub.

When the rim flattens ever so slightly against the pavement,
the spoke above it loses tension. A thick straight spoke
didn't stretch as far as a thin-center-section spoke, so the
thick spoke loses all tension and rattles, going out of true
and breaking more often and while the thin spoke can
contract that much and still have tension, which makes it
likely to last longer.

Think of them as rubber bands at the same tension, neither
of which is going to snap in the middle, but neither of
which we want to go slack. The thinner rubber band enjoys a
greater range of motion.

Carl Fogel