Cyclist hunts for witnesses

Old August 20th 13, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Cyclist hunts for witnesses

Cyclist just manages to stop before running into the back of a Range
Rover and is surprised that the owner takes exception to the cyclist's
antics. Cyclist claims he was knocked off and wants to drum up some
witnesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23757876
Old August 20th 13, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Watson

In article ,
Mrcheerful wrote:

Cyclist just manages to stop before running into the back of a Range
Rover and is surprised that the owner takes exception to the cyclist's
antics. Cyclist claims he was knocked off and wants to drum up some
witnesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23757876

If he's asking for witnesses, the chances are that he's telling the
truth. Of course, if Emma Way hadn't been so forthcoming after knocking
down a cyclist, you'd have been implying that he made it up, too.
Old August 21st 13, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_10_]

On 20/08/2013 19:43, Mrcheerful wrote:
Cyclist just manages to stop before running into the back of a Range
Rover and is surprised that the owner takes exception to the cyclist's
antics. Cyclist claims he was knocked off and wants to drum up some
witnesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23757876

Which all goes to convince me even more that a camera on my crash helmet
is an essential tool that every cyclist should have. Such behaviour by
car drivers should lead, inevitably, to prosecution and a substantial ban.
Old August 21st 13, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 21/08/2013 08:55, Brian Robertson wrote:

On 20/08/2013 19:43, Mrcheerful wrote:

Cyclist just manages to stop before running into the back of a Range
Rover and is surprised that the owner takes exception to the cyclist's
antics. Cyclist claims he was knocked off and wants to drum up some
witnesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23757876

Which all goes to convince me even more that a camera on my crash helmet
is an essential tool that every cyclist should have. Such behaviour by
car drivers should lead, inevitably, to prosecution and a substantial ban.

A disqualification from driving for a physical assault with the fists?

Would you extend it to all crimes, or just those alleged to have been
committed against cyclists?

Would you, for instance, impose a "substantial ban" (from driving) for
criminal damage committed by someone damaging a car with a cycle-lock?
Or by hurling a bicycle onto a vehicle's bonnet?

And if not, why not?
Old August 21st 13, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

On 21/08/2013 11:38, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Probably just those where a motorist has used his vehicle as a deadly
weapon in a deliberate manner.
Old August 21st 13, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 21/08/2013 21:45, Brian Robertson wrote:
[...]

Thank you for confirming that you would impose a "substantial ban" (from
driving) for criminal damage committed by someone damaging a car with a
cycle-lock or by hurling a bicycle onto a vehicle's bonnet, as long as
the criminal cyclist had a driving licence.

Of course, a disqualification would have little effect on someone
without a licence.

Old August 21st 13, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

On 21/08/2013 22:43, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Plenty are handed out to people who don't have licences. And your point is?
Old August 21st 13, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 08:55:01 UTC+1, Brian Robertson wrote:
On 20/08/2013 19:43, Mrcheerful wrote:

Cyclist just manages to stop before running into the back of a Range

Rover and is surprised that the owner takes exception to the cyclist's

antics. Cyclist claims he was knocked off and wants to drum up some

witnesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23757876

Which all goes to convince me even more that a camera on my crash helmet

is an essential tool that every cyclist should have. Such behaviour by

car drivers should lead, inevitably, to prosecution and a substantial ban.

Tell you what, you tie the rope and I will borrow his vehicle of choice.
Old August 23rd 13, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

On 23/08/2013 18:16, Phil W Lee wrote:
Brian Robertson considered Wed, 21 Aug 2013
08:55:01 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On 20/08/2013 19:43, Mrcheerful wrote:
Cyclist just manages to stop before running into the back of a Range
Rover and is surprised that the owner takes exception to the cyclist's
antics. Cyclist claims he was knocked off and wants to drum up some
witnesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23757876

Which all goes to convince me even more that a camera on my crash helmet
is an essential tool that every cyclist should have. Such behaviour by
car drivers should lead, inevitably, to prosecution and a substantial ban.

If there is evidence of the attack being deliberate, jail time should
be involved.

There should be a clear cut pecking order on the roads and pavements.
Pedestrians and animals should be right at the top. Lorries, coaches and
buses should be right at the bottom. It is no excuse for a motorist to
say that they didn't notice a cyclist. They should have been looking
harder and anticipating. But likewise it should work for cyclist who
charge along pavements. This thinking should be enshrined in law, with
the proviso that guilt for motorists should increase by engine size.
Old August 21st 13, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_10_]

On 20/08/2013 19:43, Mrcheerful wrote:
Cyclist just manages to stop before running into the back of a Range
Rover and is surprised that the owner takes exception to the cyclist's
antics. Cyclist claims he was knocked off and wants to drum up some
witnesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23757876

I take it that you think knocking a cyclist off his bike and possibly
causing him/her serious injury or death is a reasoned response?