Ganglian Cyst: A Result of Cycling?

Old May 29th 04, 04:10 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Ganglian Cyst: A Result of Cycling?

I wonder if this is amore common problem among cyclists than in the general
population?

Ganglion cysts, it is thought, can arise from tendonitis and arthritis. I
think that the soft tissue in my hands has been stressed from a relatively
large volume of riding this spring. For many years I've had pain in the area
that the cyst has sprouted, and I have always attributed the pain to riding.

This year I moved away from anatomical bars for aesthetic reasons. Maybe a
dumb move.

No real treatment for it and unfortunately the cyst interferes with the
motion of my thumb and impinges on nerves, and so I think riding will just
makes it worse.

Anyone else had this problem, and did it lead to a change of *cycling
habits*? (It used to be thought that these things could be cured by hitting
them with a bible.
Maybe I need to consult a nun who rides.)

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old May 29th 04, 04:19 AM
frank121

GJ,

I believe the latest scientific consensus is that a ganglion cyst is a mark
of the Devil...

Old May 29th 04, 04:26 AM
S o r n i

Gary Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Bang it with a copy of Zinn?

(Actually, I think that /really is/ an accepted treatment for ganglion
cysts -- pound 'em into submission?)

Bill "suggest consulting your doc" S.

Old May 29th 04, 04:45 AM
carlfogel

Gary Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Dear Gary

Here's what a doctor pointed out last October when the subjec
last came up

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....14e5a004%40po
sting.google.com&output=gplain

Note the comment about cancer

He was too tactful to add that misguided patients occasionally brea
their own wrists in their enthusiasm

Carl Foge

-

Old May 29th 04, 06:22 AM
Richard Brockie

carlfogel wrote:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...14e5a004%40po-
sting.google.com&output=gplain

Or in a more easily browsed form:
http://tinyurl.com/ysve9

--
R.

Richard Brockie "Categorical statements
The tall blond one. always cause trouble."

Old May 29th 04, 06:42 AM

On Sat, 29 May 2004 03:45:06 GMT, carlfogel
wrote:

Gary Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Here's what a doctor pointed out last October when the subject
last came up:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...14e5a004%40po-
sting.google.com&output=gplain

Note the comment about cancer.

He was too tactful to add that misguided patients occasionally break
their own wrists in their enthusiasm.

Carl Fogel

Dear Richard,

So much for the vaunted angled brackets! I was grossly
deceived about their power to contain even the longest url.
(Or the editor that I used added a hyphen and broke the
line.)

Thanks for smacking the swollen address flat with tinyurl.

Carl Fogel
Old May 29th 04, 08:15 AM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 23:39:39 -0700, Richard Brockie

Dear Richard,

So much for the vaunted angled brackets! I was grossly
deceived about their power to contain even the longest url.
(Or the editor that I used added a hyphen and broke the
line.)

Thanks for smacking the swollen address flat with tinyurl.

Dear Carl,

I had never heard of angled brackets serving that function. I must
admit that I was stumped by the hyphen for a moment.

By the way, you have me thinking about getting my own Fury roadmaster
to play on - do they come big enough for someone 6'4"?

Dear Richard,

Arrgh! Replied to the wrong post, but you still found me.
Bad day.

I hadn't heard of the angled bracket trick, either, but
here's where I saw it:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=egotc.2931%24Ic3.583%40fe13.usenetserv er.com&output=gplain

or

http://tinyurl.com/yrarz

A different editor may let this long address survive.
Probably I just goofed something up, since Dave Ornee is
usually reliable.

As for the Fury RoadMaster, I suspect that it's only
available from WalMart and therefore beyond your grasp in
the UK. Here's the ad:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=61903&dept=4171&product_id=2073252 &path=0%3A4171%3A61903%3A61904%3A4180%3A4183%3A530 4#long_descr

or

http://tinyurl.com/2zy5p

I'm just a touch over six feet and around 195 pounds, but
luckily had a long seatpost of the right size lying around
from God knows what. Riders your height probably need custom
bikes anyway.

The Fury RoadMaster, as you can see in the specifications,
is intended for riders aged 10 to 17 (or 14 to adult,
depending on where you read) and the price has now risen
from $53.71 to $58.88, presumably due to demand for reliable
transportation caused by the rising gasoline prices being
discussed hopefully in other threads.

The forty-pound shipping weight (mostly cardboard, or so my
Fury assures me) would make export expensive.

Possibly there's a similar bike in a similar UK store?

Carl Fogel
Old May 29th 04, 08:42 AM
Richard Brockie

wrote:
As for the Fury RoadMaster, I suspect that it's only
available from WalMart and therefore beyond your grasp in
the UK. Here's the ad:

Dear Carl,

Thanks for the links (which worked this time with the angled
brackets). Do not be mislead as to my location by the email address -
that is a vanity domain which advertises my origin. I am currently
located a little down the road from Mike Jacoubowsky's shop where I
worked shortly after moving to the US.

I'm just a touch over six feet and around 195 pounds, but
luckily had a long seatpost of the right size lying around
from God knows what. Riders your height probably need custom
bikes anyway.

I am on the borderline for custom - the old Klein 63cm size of frames
works very nicely for me. What diameter is the seat post in the Fury?

The Fury RoadMaster, as you can see in the specifications,
is intended for riders aged 10 to 17 (or 14 to adult,
depending on where you read) and the price has now risen
from $53.71 to $58.88, presumably due to demand for reliable
transportation caused by the rising gasoline prices being
discussed hopefully in other threads.

The forty-pound shipping weight (mostly cardboard, or so my
Fury assures me) would make export expensive.

Possibly there's a similar bike in a similar UK store?

Almost certainly, as Walmart (by another name), exists in the UK.

Old May 29th 04, 03:13 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Gary Jacobson wrote:

Anyone else had this problem, and did it lead to a change of *cycling
habits*? (It used to be thought that these things could be cured by hitting
them with a bible.
Maybe I need to consult a nun who rides.)

My non-cycling wife had one two years ago, I whacked it with a heavy
book (I think it was "Organic Chemistry"!) and it never came back (the
ganglion that is, not the wife).