Identifying a generic unicycle?

Old April 24th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Identifying a generic unicycle?

New to unicyclist.com forums, hey all.

Since this is my first post I guess a really quick background is in
order. I got my first and only unicycle back in the sixth grade after
an exchange student rode hers to school one day. I got to the point of
learning how to go without falling, and turning, and that was about
it.

Now a whole bunch of years later I'd like to start again seriously, but
the burning question is that I'd like to figure out what type of
unicyle I've got. I got it in a bike shop in downtown Toronto, and
that's all I can remember.

Can anyone give me some general tips on how to identify it? I know
this is vague, so I'll take a picture of it and post it up shortly.

Thanks.

--
chichi_whatah

chichi_whatah's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12095

Old April 24th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

It might be truely generic, or maybe a norco. Ether way, post a picture
(or several) to help us out.

--
Eroick

'The Unicyclopedia!' (http://unicyclopedia.org/)
Help us make it better!

'My Gallery' (http://www.flickr.com/photos/eroick/)
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

Old April 24th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

maybe its a cyclepro ... thats what i started on
but as for my unicycle
its a torker DX (2005) ... what do you guys think of them ... will I
bend the axle ( i wiegh 130 and i just got it) ... i just learned uni
spins and im tryin new stuff

and btw... im kinda new too

--
skroboskim

* -stephen-* CCTX
-(me to my neighbor) im the guy who wishes he was better-
-someday i will be pro... and another day i will fly to the moon and
get neil armstrongs autograph...since he will still be there-
skroboskim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11663

Old April 24th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I keep hearing the brand torker without really knowing what it is. I'll
have to look into that. But anyway, I took two pics of my unicyle,
hope it helps.

I had it plastered with stickers before, but got rid of them last year.
Other than battered pedals, I keep it in fairly good condition, minus
flat tire.

After inspecting it again, I realized the tire was some weird taiwan
brand called Heng Shin. I've never heard of it.

|Filename: uni2.jpg |

Old April 24th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

yeah i think it is a no-name unicycle,... torker is a brand of unicycle,
they are medium quality unicycles.

--
irvinegr

Check out my SWEET movies!!! http://tinyurl.com/cr7fu
irvinegr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10958

Old April 24th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I have one that is very similar, heng shin tire, same frame and bearing
caps, same seat, same seat post and clamp but 36 spoke instead of the
28 that you have and different pedals. There really isn't that much to
it other than that. I don't know what you would get out of knowing the
brand but most of those parts are very generic.

--
ntappin

Old April 24th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

That uni is made by a company called Trace. I think... I have seen Trace
unis before and they look exactly like that. Unfortunally for you, they
are probably the worst you can buy. They have lollypop bearing holders
(the worst) and cotterless cranks which are fine, as long as you dont
do any drops or big hops. It might be crap, but its still a ok uni to
learn on. I learnt on something like that.

Old April 25th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

eh idk ... it looks exactly like my old one ... a cyclepro-i bent it the
first time i jumped off a 4 stair, but im not sure it is the same
because I have 2 and the seat isn't shiny on them

Old April 25th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Yes, it's a generic Taiwan cheapie! With many of those, brand name isn't
very important, as the brand may not extend past the sticker and
labeling on the box it came in. It's more about the frame, bearings,
seat etc. In your case, the seat is a very decent one for its day, but
the bearing style is one you want to avoid. Whatever you get to replace
it, make sure it doesn't have those lolipops with bolts going up
against round tubing. It's not the bearing or lolipop that's the
problem, it's the way the bolts attach with nothing to press against.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling