Almost bought the farm AGAIN

Old March 3rd 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Almost bought the farm AGAIN

This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a driver.
Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice deputy pulled her
over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm
pretty well lighted---two bright LED headlights and a reflective vest with
blinking LEDs. I saw a car turn onto the road ahead of me and head my
direction on the opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and
drove right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I
couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me
and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on the
wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to
get me.

Old March 3rd 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
Gooserider wrote:
:: This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a
:: driver. Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice
:: deputy pulled her over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks
:: to the gym at 5AM. I'm pretty well lighted---two bright LED
:: headlights and a reflective vest with blinking LEDs. I saw a car
:: turn onto the road ahead of me and head my direction on the opposite
:: side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and drove right toward me.
:: It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I couldn't really
:: judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me and
:: swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on
:: the wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're
:: trying to get me.

Xenon strobe?

Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
:-)

Old March 3rd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Gooserider" wrote in message

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
Gooserider wrote:
[...]

Sing to yourself Bruce Coburn's 'If I had a rocket launcher'

Old March 3rd 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Gooserider wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Gooserider wrote:
::::: This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a
::::: driver. Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice
::::: deputy pulled her over. This morning I was pedalling the two
::::: blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm pretty well lighted---two bright LED
::::: headlights and a reflective vest with blinking LEDs. I saw a car
::::: turn onto the road ahead of me and head my direction on the
::::: opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and drove
::::: right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted,
::::: so I couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty
::::: close. She saw me and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper
::::: delivery person driving on the wrong side to fill paper boxes!
::::: Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to get me.
:::
::: Xenon strobe?
::
:: Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my
:: head. :-)

Problem solved!

Old March 4th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

[...]

If there was more than a little ambient light, it's likely that your
"bright" LED headlights were ineffective.

LED's can be moderately effective on a very dark road, but in typical
urban/suburban conditions, you need a higher wattage light to be seen.

GG

Old March 4th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"GaryG" wrote in message
[...]

It was 5AM and pitch black. This moron just wasn't paying attention. She was
sitting on the passenger side, too. Guess she was weaving side to side to
hit all the boxes. Lucky I didn't end up on her hood.

Old March 4th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 02:06:31 GMT, "Gooserider"
wrote:

This moron just wasn't paying attention. She was
sitting on the passenger side, too. Guess she was weaving side to side to
hit all the boxes. Lucky I didn't end up on her hood.

I'll bet you would have used one of those nasty locomotive horns if
you had one.
--
zk
Old March 4th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article , Gooserider
wrote:

It was 5AM and pitch black. This moron just wasn't paying attention. She was
sitting on the passenger side, too. Guess she was weaving side to side to
hit all the boxes. Lucky I didn't end up on her hood.

Everyday I encounter this nocturnal tribe of lunatics on my morning
commute home. These drivers indulge in a high degree of multi-tasking:
if you'd had a strobe light and a disco ball atop your helmet, you
still may have gone undetected - they can't see what's in front of them
if they don't turn their head in that direction. Their standard
practice is to zigzag through opposing lanes to stock the newspaper
boxes. Looks like it cost you a pair of underwear to find that out.
;-).

But was the driver really sitting in - and operating the car from!!! -
the passenger side? I've never seen this before.

Luke
Old March 4th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Roger Zoul" wrote in
:

Gooserider wrote:
:: This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a
:: driver. --Snip-- It's like they're trying to get me.

Xenon strobe?

Xenon strobe $18.45...
Runs up to 16 hours on one D cell battery.
Clear or Yellow lens.
waterproof to 12 feet.

http://www.theledlight.com/strobes.html

I have been lately thinking I might want one of these to use while
riding my bike after dark; maybe I'll order one.

Rich