Almost bought the farm AGAIN

Old March 4th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Almost bought the farm AGAIN

This almost sounds intentional. Do you think it could have been.
Jim
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Old March 4th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

oilfreeandhappy wrote:

This almost sounds intentional. Do you think it could have been.

I guess it just depends on where you live at, but as someone that has
delivered papers for over 20 years I very rarely see anyone riding a
bike before the sun comes up.. I do see some walkers and runners in the
dark and a few of them use the blinking LED things. You can see those
things for quite a distance. They work well.. But the problem in the
dark is that when I'd see those lights I'd think "walker" rather than
"bike" and think I have time to pull over and deliver a paper in front
of them, then my headlights hit them and it would freak me out too.

Anyone on a bike after dark should figure that all drivers do not see
you until their headlights hit you.

Jeff

Old March 4th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote in message
ups.com...
oilfreeandhappy wrote:

This almost sounds intentional. Do you think it could have been.

I guess it just depends on where you live at, but as someone that has
delivered papers for over 20 years I very rarely see anyone riding a
bike before the sun comes up.. I do see some walkers and runners in the
dark and a few of them use the blinking LED things. You can see those
things for quite a distance. They work well.. But the problem in the
dark is that when I'd see those lights I'd think "walker" rather than
"bike" and think I have time to pull over and deliver a paper in front
of them, then my headlights hit them and it would freak me out too.

Anyone on a bike after dark should figure that all drivers do not see
you until their headlights hit you.

Jeff

I had a reflective vest on, so I was visible for quite a distance.

Old March 4th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 02:06:31 GMT, "Gooserider"
wrote:

This moron just wasn't paying attention. She was
sitting on the passenger side, too. Guess she was weaving side to side to
hit all the boxes. Lucky I didn't end up on her hood.

I'll bet you would have used one of those nasty locomotive horns if
you had one.
--

Since they require an air compressor that's an impossibility. Let's see how
cool you think they are when some moron blasts you with one from behind. I

Old March 4th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Gooserider" wrote in message

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

to get me.

Xenon strobe?

Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
:-)

I actually have a headtorch mounted on my lid. As soon as I started wearing
it I noticed I was being seen by drivers much sooner than I had been - as
headlights would be dipped sooner. The lid-mounted headtorch is in addition
to the minimum of two bright lights and sometimes three front lights I
use...

Cheers, helen s

Old March 4th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

to get me.

Xenon strobe?

Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
:-)

I actually have a headtorch mounted on my lid. As soon as I started
wearing it I noticed I was being seen by drivers much sooner than I had
been - as headlights would be dipped sooner. The lid-mounted headtorch is
in addition to the minimum of two bright lights and sometimes three front
lights I use...

Cheers, helen s

Guess I will have to start wearing my helmet for the two block ride to the
gym.

Old March 4th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

to get me.

Xenon strobe?

Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
:-)

I actually have a headtorch mounted on my lid. As soon as I started
wearing it I noticed I was being seen by drivers much sooner than I had
been - as headlights would be dipped sooner. The lid-mounted headtorch is
in addition to the minimum of two bright lights and sometimes three front
lights I use...

Cheers, helen s

The advantage that a helmet mounted bright LED head torch has is that it is
directed in the direction in which the cyclist is looking -- which means it
is inevitably is pointing at some perceived hazard that the cyclist is
checking out. It also means that it is a light which is distinctly "mobile"
and "wobbly" and creates a more eye stimulating image to any potential
approaching miscreant than does ones standard bike mounted illumination
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.

Old March 4th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Pinky" wrote in message
. uk...

The advantage that a helmet mounted bright LED head torch has is that it
is directed in the direction in which the cyclist is looking -- which
means it is inevitably is pointing at some perceived hazard that the
cyclist is checking out. It also means that it is a light which is
distinctly "mobile" and "wobbly" and creates a more eye stimulating image
to any potential approaching miscreant than does ones standard bike
mounted illumination

Indeed. Makes it great for illuminating road signs too :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old March 4th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Gooserider wrote:
This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a driver.
Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice deputy pulled her
over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm
pretty well lighted---two bright LED headlights and a reflective vest with
blinking LEDs. I saw a car turn onto the road ahead of me and head my
direction on the opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and
drove right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I
couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me
and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on the
wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to
get me.

Weird events like that do happen, and it's weirder when you get two in
a row.

I wouldn't overreact with strobes, mega-lights, mega-horns and the
like. Your lights are probably fine. You simply had a little bad
luck. It's likely random - and two random events sometimes happen in a
row.

This is assuming, of course, that you didn't just start riding in the
dark, and aren't doing stealth cycling. From your description, that's
certainly not the case.

If it were me, I'd have a friend observe my bike lights & reflectors
from his passing car to see if he thinks they're adequate; then have
him ride your bike while you observe from the car. (Actually, since
I'm me, I've already done that several times with my lights.) You may
think of some easy way to increase visibility - like reflective strips
on the inside surface of your rims, or pedal reflectors, or whatever.

Then I'd remember that these kinds of things happen even in daylight.
You just have to stay aware as you ride and be prepared to react, day
or night.

- Frank Krygowski

Old March 4th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote in message
oups.com...

Gooserider wrote:
[...]

Thanks Frank. I think I'm pretty well lit. I have Tireflys on my valve stems
and Tirefly lighted reflectors on the spokes, in addition to the headlights,
vest, and taillights. I think the driver was just not paying attention.