True Cost of a Supermarket Bike

Old January 20th 04, 05:20 AM
Kaputnik

Default True Cost of a Supermarket Bike

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote in message ...

(snip)
Moral of the story: now, when my colleagues ask me about a good place to
buy a bike, I steer them away from the supermarket.

EFR
Ile de France

Can't argue with that. I think you would have done even worse buying
a department store bike in the U.S., although some of them sell low
end Schwinns that might be upgradeable. Most have only
pseudo-mountain bikes, although there are a few one-speed cruisers.
If the quality of the frame is no good, there's no point in upgrading.
Old January 20th 04, 05:23 AM
R15757

Default Naming a bike

I name all my bikes after hobbits.
Old January 20th 04, 05:31 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:12:14 -0500,
, David Kerber
wrote:

Anybody else give their bike a name?

The Ellis Briggs is called "Ellie" (as dubbed by an ex)
The Witcomb is called "Whit" (as dubbed by the same ex)
The Norco is called "joe-bike" (it's the gopher)
The Maruishi is called "lo pop" (polo bike)
The Knect is called "redneck" (it's red)
The Free Spirit is called "Sophie" (Polish made lady's bike)
The Diamond Back is called "squishy" (sculpted foam saddle)

Motorcycles I remember
The BSA was called "Jeff" (that was its name when I bought it)
The Norton was called "Norton" (with a heavy Brooklyn accent)
The Dnepr was called "Ivan" (Russian made sidecar)

Cars I remember:
"Jeeves" the Jaguar
"Rolo" the Volvo
"Mooncake" the Mazda
"Fritz" the Jetta
"Henry" the Dodge Diplomat
--
zk
Old January 20th 04, 05:40 AM
Chalo

David Kerber wrote:

Anybody else give their bike a name?

Most of my bike don't have names, but a few do. There's Prince, my
old and trusty stretch-framed cruiser. And Fat *******, my Surly MTB.
X-plane is a weird 2-wheels-in-front contraption based on a Schwinn
Varsity (riding it x-planes why bike aren't like that). Babe is my
big blue chopper.

My bikes which have not acquired names are no less loved than the ones
that have, though.

Thoughts on naming, from CHVNK 666 of Portland OR;
http://dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/name/index.html

Chalo Colina
Old January 20th 04, 08:29 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
David Kerber writes:

This thread got my mind wandering in a completely different direction:
how many of you give your bikes (and/or cars) names?

Heck, I've gotta call 'em /something/ when I goad or encourage
them. Yes, sometimes I talk (in a certain sense) to my bikes
like they were saddle horses. Like when winding up for a
sprint: "Gimme some of that juice, bike name!" I realize
bikes don't have ears or brains[*]. It's just for my own benefit.
I'm just externalizing goading or encouraging myself. But, it
works for me.

When you've got a bunch of 'em, names help to differentiate them.
Right now, my stable consists of ol' Pig Iron (the main, workhorse
bike -- a Norco Bigfoot), Gertrude (the black mixte Sekine), Rudy
(the white DF Sekine), and Cousin It (the Araya).

cheers,
Tom
[*] or /do/ they? hmmm.

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old January 20th 04, 09:46 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ryan Cousineau writes:

No, it's a fair question. As I have shown, all the good bikes are found
at garage sales and behind bike shop dumpsters.

I'll go a half-step further, and suggest all the good bikes,
as well as dogs & cats, are the ones that naturally and
seamlessly enmesh themselves into our lives without any
effort on our parts to seek them out. They, instead, find us.
Kind of a "destiny" thing.

cheers,
Tom

Old January 20th 04, 10:37 AM
W K

"Kaputnik" wrote in message
om...
Elisa Francesca Roselli

wrote in message ...

(snip)
Moral of the story: now, when my colleagues ask me about a good place to
buy a bike, I steer them away from the supermarket.

EFR
Ile de France

Can't argue with that. I think you would have done even worse buying
a department store bike in the U.S., although some of them sell low
end Schwinns that might be upgradeable.

French supermarkets do actually sell relatively good bikes.
I've never had one of the road bikes with "sora", but I did buy a rigid MTB
with "alivio" groupset many years ago, and in spite of a hi-ten frame gave
many years of good service.

A different moral to the story would be - get things with standard parts,
avoid fussy things that will break, realise a bargain isnt really a bargain
and alter expectations accordingly.

Old January 20th 04, 01:00 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

jacques wrote:

Please forgive me for what I will say, which is useless, unkind and also
far too easy after the facts, but I can't help it:
After all the time you've spent posting and supposedly reading in this
newsgroup, why did you go to a supermarket to buy your bike ?

Please don't hate me

But Jacques, I only ever came into this newsgroup well _after_ I bought
Myrtille, and as a consequence of so doing. So if it hadn't been for her I
would never have had the pleasure of your acquaintance and that of the others.
And if she hadn't been so problematic, constantly driving me to ask questions
and seek advice from these amiable experts, I might never have learned as much
as I did in the process. So you see, she is a karmic bike after all.

EFR
Ile de France
who'll only hate you if you drive a SUV into me %°

Old January 20th 04, 01:03 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

DiabloScott wrote:

Just Zis Guy wrote:
how many of you give your bikes (and/or cars) names?

Mike Eddy Jed
J.J.Maria-Angelica (RIP)

I'm still trying to find a name for my new Dutch bike, or rather,
waiting for her to name herself. At the moment, she still answers to
Behemoth, but I'm hoping that might change.

EFR
Ile de France

Old January 20th 04, 01:12 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Tom Keats wrote:

I'll go a half-step further, and suggest all the good bikes,
as well as dogs & cats, are the ones that naturally and
seamlessly enmesh themselves into our lives without any
effort on our parts to seek them out. They, instead, find us.
Kind of a "destiny" thing.

You may be right, but I reached the age of 46 without ever being chosen or
pursued by a bike. Perhaps I was cruel to one in a previous life, and am
deemed fundamentally unworthy.

Ah well, if my new bike, as I recently surmised, is a Lutheran, then perhaps
it's a matter of Redemption by Faith Alone.

EFR
Ile de France

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 03:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
cost to build a bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 0 July 14th 03 03:28 AM