A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Racing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Steel frames and le Tour



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old July 10th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,564
Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:39:03 -0700 (PDT), Scott
wrote:

Yeah, it's possible someone's on a steel bike. I doubt it, but I
wouldn't be surprised.


Regardless of surprise, you're still wrong.
Ads
  #22  
Old July 10th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,564
Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:39:03 -0700 (PDT), Scott
wrote:



On a slightly related note, I can tell you that there are plenty of
riders using carbon fiber bikes that were NOT made by their sponsor.
e.g. Gerolsteiner's TT bikes aren't not Specialized bikes, but the
decals sure read "Specialized".

Yeah, it's possible someone's on a steel bike. I doubt it, but I
wouldn't be surprised.


Also, just to cement my arrogance, if you *should* be surprised if
that was true. Extremely surprised. There is zero reason any rider in
the Tour of France should be a on a steel frame and many reasons (both
economic, performance and logistical they should not).

You should be shocked.
  #23  
Old July 10th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,859
Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Jul 10, 9:54*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:39:03 -0700 (PDT), Scott

wrote:

On a slightly related note, I can tell you that there are plenty of
riders using carbon fiber bikes that were NOT made by their sponsor.
e.g. *Gerolsteiner's TT bikes aren't not Specialized bikes, but the
decals sure read "Specialized".


Yeah, it's possible someone's on a steel bike. *I doubt it, but I
wouldn't be surprised.


Also, just to cement my arrogance, if you *should* be surprised if
that was true. Extremely surprised. *There is zero reason any rider in
the Tour of France should be a on a steel frame and many reasons (both
economic, performance and logistical they should not).

You should be shocked.


Really, you don't think that even a single rider in the field may
actually prefer a steel frame to a carbon fiber frame? And that rider
(should one exist) may be able to get that steel frame for free from
the builder?

It's been done before many, many times by lots of riders. No reason
to definitively conclude that it is not going on now.
  #24  
Old July 10th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 966
Default Steel frames and le Tour

Scott schreef:
Really, you don't think that even a single rider in the field may
actually prefer a steel frame to a carbon fiber frame?


I don't.
  #25  
Old July 10th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Bret Wade[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Steel frames and le Tour

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

There is zero reason any rider in
the Tour of France should be a on a steel frame and many reasons (both
economic, performance and logistical they should not).


Agreed. They're all way too young to be retro-grouches.

Bret
  #26  
Old July 10th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,859
Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Jul 10, 10:01*am, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
Scott schreef:

Really, you don't think that even a single rider in the field may
actually prefer a steel frame to a carbon fiber frame?


I don't.


Cool. We know your opinion now. Thanks.

I don't share your opinion. I've ridden numerous carbon fiber
framesets, and with the exception of ONE, I've preferred a good steel
frameset to each of them. For most of them, I've ridden them only
because I'd already had a bunch of money sunk into them and they
weren't so bad as to be unbearable.

All in all, given the choice of the typical off-the-shelf carbon fiber
frame vs a custom steel frame, both provided for free (which is how it
would work with a TdF rider), I'd go with the custom steel. I can not
bring myself to definitively declare without asking each and every one
of them that there are no TdF riders who wouldn't prefer steel.
  #27  
Old July 10th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,564
Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:59:53 -0700 (PDT), Scott
wrote:

On Jul 10, 9:54*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:39:03 -0700 (PDT), Scott

wrote:

On a slightly related note, I can tell you that there are plenty of
riders using carbon fiber bikes that were NOT made by their sponsor.
e.g. *Gerolsteiner's TT bikes aren't not Specialized bikes, but the
decals sure read "Specialized".


Yeah, it's possible someone's on a steel bike. *I doubt it, but I
wouldn't be surprised.


Also, just to cement my arrogance, if you *should* be surprised if
that was true. Extremely surprised. *There is zero reason any rider in
the Tour of France should be a on a steel frame and many reasons (both
economic, performance and logistical they should not).

You should be shocked.


Really, you don't think that even a single rider in the field may
actually prefer a steel frame to a carbon fiber frame? And that rider
(should one exist) may be able to get that steel frame for free from
the builder?

It's been done before many, many times by lots of riders.



What's been done?

No reason
to definitively conclude that it is not going on now.


Let's talk epistomology. I can't prove a negative here and I won't
ask you to prove a positive, since you merely said you "wouldnt' be
suprised." I'll assume wouldnt' be surprised means there's a 1 in 10
or many a 1 in 100 or even a 1 in 1000 chance of it happenning.

I'm saying the chance is far, far less than ever the most generous
odds above. Far less than 1 in 1000. Orders of magnitude less.

Now, if something that has a 1 in, say, 10,000 or 1 in a million
chance of happening happens, among 200 riders, you wouldn't be
surprised?

Wow.

And here's a surrogate. Find a single example of a pro tour or
continental level pro team using a steel frame in any UCI-level race
in Europe. Try it. Can you find even one?
  #28  
Old July 10th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,564
Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:13:12 -0700 (PDT), Scott
wrote:

I can not
bring myself to definitively declare without asking each and every one
of them that there are no TdF riders who wouldn't prefer steel.


Do you use that standard of certainty in other aspects of life?

If you lack that standard of certainty, does whatever happens "not
surprise you."

Wow, you're not easily surprised.
  #29  
Old July 10th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,092
Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Jul 10, 9:05*am, Bret Wade wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
There is zero reason any rider in
the Tour of France should be a on a steel frame and many reasons (both
economic, performance and logistical they should not).


Agreed. They're all way too young to be retro-grouches.


Remember when Mercury/Viatel hired all those
Europros and made a big push (just before imploding)?
Their bike sponsor was Lemond and they had
steel bikes, I think this was before Lemond Bikes
got into the aluminum and Dr. Moreau-half-and-half
frames. Anyway, as Mercury began to implode,
I remember an interview in which one of the Eurodogs
was bitching about the backwardness of having to
ride steel frames, as if it was a short step from that
to having to sling your own tubulars over your
shoulder.

Ben
I like steel fine, but I'm not a Europro

  #30  
Old July 10th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Jul 10, 1:06*pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:13:12 -0700 (PDT), Scott

wrote:
I can not
bring myself to definitively declare without asking each and every one
of them that there are no TdF riders who wouldn't prefer steel.


Do you use that standard of certainty in other aspects of life?

If you lack that standard of certainty, does whatever happens "not
surprise you."

Wow, you're not easily surprised.


Regardless of your incessant babbling, you know a lot less than you
think you do.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steel Frames: Surly, Gunnar, Soma [email protected] General 7 February 25th 08 01:18 AM
Italian/steel frames need more prep? Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 84 April 13th 06 03:56 PM
BB on steel frames PJay Techniques 8 November 1st 05 04:16 AM
Steel Road frames firewolf65 General 8 April 12th 05 03:59 PM
Good Steel Frames danimal Off Road 2 May 29th 04 05:46 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.