Helmets: Do you wear one? Why? When?

Old August 4th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
RedUnicycleRider

Default Helmets: Do you wear one? Why? When?

Ok I sometimes ride my unicycle with or without a helmet,
I personaly do not like helmet for they are big, bulky, and
quite uncomfortable. But I must admit it has saved a few
minor and major injuries in the past. When I'm in public I
won't wear one I'll just wear my hat, but if I'm not in public
and no one is around I'll wear one, but it depends wear I am,
so just in case I will bring one. So what do you think of this
industrial protective peice of gear? Do you wear one? Why? When?

--
RedUnicycleRider

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells
it smells like victory.
Old August 4th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
adjuggler

I always wear one after an instance practicing from flat stuff which I
thought I wouldn't get hurt. I had my helmet on because it was new and
I wanted to wear it, I go to leg wrap and I slip backwards and smacked
my head agaisnt the ground. Luckly I had my helmet on but other then
that it gives me a lot of confidence when I'l doing trials, so I wear
it 99% of the time I'm on the unicycle.

--
adjuggler

----------David---------
_661 (\"sixsixone.com\")_
'(Youtube
Page)'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/ADJuggler)
'(Vimeo)'
(http://www.vimeo.com/adjuggler)
Old August 4th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kerv

I almost always wear one - but it has never saved me from any injury.
My wrist / palm protectors have saved me many times and my leg/knee
armor has also saved me (metal pinned pedals bite hard). So, while my
helmet is less important (from the point of view that it has never
prevented an injury) it protects the most important part of me. There
is an old saying that applies to any protective gear, "I would rather
wear it and not need it rather than to need it while not wearing it".

--
Kerv
Old August 4th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Any Terrain

Kerv wrote:
"I would rather wear it and not need it rather than to need it while not
wearing it".

+1
The only time I don't wear my helmet is when I am 99% sure I am not
going to fall on my head

--
Any Terrain

'The Great Chicago Meet-up Thread'
Old August 4th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eddbmxdude

I only wear a helmet when I ride muni. Muni is pretty dangerous. I only
wear a helmet for trials when im riding a demo or a competition and I
have to due to insurance etc.

--
Eddbmxdude

"I guess it's just a good thing you didn't include the footage of us
snorting cocaine from the thighs of prostitutes eh Edd." - Boogie

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

"Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
Unisteve
Old August 4th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Bsts.

--
MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)
Old August 4th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

Any time I'm doing something other than basic riding, hopping, and
idling I wear it. Its too easy to do major damage to your head WITH a
helmet on, that not wearing one just seems silly.

--
oneisenough

Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong)
'Youtube' (http://www.youtube.com/user/RookieFilming) 'Vimeo'
(http://www.vimeo.com/user496125)

The UniSLAB wrote:
Go big or go home, don worry about those little clown tricks called
flips and wrap arounds. We don't dance with our uni's, we jump em

2nd Place*)---', 6ft Static Gap
Old August 4th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

I wear a helmet any time I'm "on a ride," which means that I'm out in my
kit on the road or trail for the sole purpose of putting away some
miles. If I'm just going to work (or another similar 3-5 minute
destination) in my street clothes or something, then I usually won't
put the helmet on, but sadly, that doesn't keep me from trying to ride
fast. I'm probably a bigger danger to myself just riding between close
places than when I'm out on a ride, because I don't take the necessary
safety precautions.

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!
Old August 4th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

I usually never wear a helmet but I think I am getting more cautious
with age. Just last week I started wearing one. we'll see how long it
lasts.
ps.... don't tell my mom!

--
rem48
Old August 4th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfer1024

I dont wear a helmet when I'm practicing tricks on flat up to a 3 set.
when I do trials, grind a handrail, do some big set etc. I wear one. I
always wear shinpads unless practicing flatland, freestyle, or
consistency on the easier flip tricks.

--
surfer1024

*)--SmallSpin-'O,* 1st Place)---hickflip-'O,
Latest Vid: I wish I had 2 cents #f5f5f5
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70608