Training or Plain Riding?

Old December 5th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Training or Plain Riding?

In a race you need the latest equipment. Campy or Shimano top of the line
stuff, carbon fiber bikes, saddles without padding etc.

The problem is that people who don't race buy this stuff because they think
it's the "best" instead of "appropriate for racing".

Today we're seeing people riding around on the streets on equipment that
barely has a working life of a year and they don't know that.

Let's not mention the actual name of a major wheel manufacturer whose wheel
bearings are good for perhaps 10,000 miles and then need replacing. In fact
they can get so loose that the rocking of the axle can cause the freehub to
slip. Worst case you could destroy the freehub.

I can't tell you how many carbon hinged rear derailers I've seen with broken
pieces. And these aren't cheap. You're paying a small fortune to save 12
grams on a part that will never see a race for most people.

Mind you, Campagnolo and Shimano make components that are plenty reliable
and long lived. The top of the line stuff is designed to meet other
criteria. They are building them for the lightest possible weight now and
that means that they had to make decisions about product lifespan. Since
these parts are designed to be used by racers and are replaced, at the far
end, every year it means that you can't expect the best parts to have a
lifespan compatible with normal bicycle use.

It is true that most bicyclists who buy the most expensive stuff generally
don't ride all that much. And since they could afford the stuff in the first
place it isn't as if they can't afford to replace it when it gets broken.

But be aware that now it isn't just the components that are failing. Now
entire wheels, forks and frames are failing catastrophically and when they
do you're going down and it might be really hard.

Personally I'm six months into recovery from a failed front fork (caused by
a foot turned loose by a failed new fangled pedal). The foot could never
have gotten into the spokes of an older 32 spoke or more wheel but went
right in that expensive low spoke count wheel.

Last year a medium sized dog ran in front of a guy with whom I was riding.
The dog was essentially uninjured. The steering head broke off the bike and
my friend went head first into the asphalt. He broke his neck and for a long
hour I supposed he'd be dying. He survived and rides today. But if he was
riding a steel bike with a steel fork he wouldn't have crashed like that.

Here's the bottom line - if you're racing go ahead and use the lightest
stuff available. If you're training or just out on a ride maybe you ought to
be using stuff that you can rely upon.

Old December 5th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Magilla Gorilla

IN A RACE YOU DO NOT NEED THE LATEST EQUIPMENT.

Here's the bottom line: If you're racing you DO NOT need the latest
equipment. If you're racing, come prepared. If you're training or just out
on a ride, and assuming you have disposible income to burn, go ahead and get
another bike with less bling and that way you'll be really safe, and don't
forget to wear a helmet because helmets will prevent you from becoming an
organ donor, but don't wear your "racing" helmet, rather, wear a helmet that
you can rely upon.

Thanks,

Magilla

m...

Old December 5th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Dear Magilla,

Your post doesn't even respond to what he was saying, your moron.

Everything Tom said below is correct and Magilla-certified. A lot of you
dumbasses in here ride around "training" on 16 pound bikes with carbon fiber
chains and frames made out of balsa wood.

Hinault rode on steel. Steel is for real men.

Magilla

Old December 5th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
P.Chisholm

On Dec 4, 8:57*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
[...]

Reality, what a concept.
Old December 5th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Dear Magilla,

Your post doesn't even respond to what he was saying, your moron.

Everything Tom said below is correct and Magilla-certified. A lot of you
dumbasses in here ride around "training" on 16 pound bikes with carbon fiber
chains and frames made out of balsa wood.

Hinault rode on steel. Steel is for real men.

My manliness is validated, then.

Thanks, I was waiting for someone to do that for me.
Old December 5th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Doug Smith

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

What is the wheel manufacturer that you were referring to?

thanks
Old December 5th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Dec 4, 7:57*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Today we're seeing people riding around on the streets on equipment that
barely has a working life of a year and they don't know that.

Not everyone rides Bianchi.
Old December 5th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Doug Smith" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:

Let's not mention the actual name of a major wheel manufacturer whose
wheel bearings are good for perhaps 10,000 miles and then need replacing.
In fact they can get so loose that the rocking of the axle can cause the
freehub to slip. Worst case you could destroy the freehub.

What is the wheel manufacturer that you were referring to?

Notice the first line? I'm not sure that it makes a lot of sense naming the
wheel manufacturer since most off the specialty wheel manufacturers are
using exactly the same replicable bearings.

What's more, there's always the (distant) chance that my friend and myself
were an exception with the bearing failures almost exactly at the same
mileage.

Shouldn't we complain a lot more over the fact that you can buy VERY
expensive Shimano shifters that wear out and can't be repaired? This is
completely outrageous. There are still bikes riding around with the original
8-speed levers but the 9 and 10 speed stuff is wearing out rapidly and is
super expensive to replace.

Old December 6th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

Dumbass -

Don't be a goddammed Communist. Don't whine.

Be a capitalist. Let thy wallet speak. Buy another brand.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old December 6th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

Tom Kunich wrote:

Let's not mention the actual name of a major wheel manufacturer whose
wheel bearings are good for perhaps 10,000 miles and then need replacing.
In fact they can get so loose that the rocking of the axle can cause the
freehub to slip. Worst case you could destroy the freehub.

What is the wheel manufacturer that you were referring to?

Notice the first line? I'm not sure that it makes a lot of sense naming the
wheel manufacturer since most off the specialty wheel manufacturers are
using exactly the same replicable bearings.

What's more, there's always the (distant) chance that my friend and myself
were an exception with the bearing failures almost exactly at the same
mileage.

Dumbass -

If you were even a half decent engineer, you'd figure out that it's
fast and easy to pinpoint a set of bearings that will outlast the rest
of the wheelset, buy them with a few clicks of the mouse and install
them.

Doers do. Complainers complain.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Salisbury Plain byway query didds UK 11 June 28th 08 05:56 PM
New Movie: Plain with Pallets... Evan Byrne Unicycling 27 September 21st 05 08:45 AM
Land Rider - just plain bad... Bill H. General 19 August 8th 05 02:59 AM
just plain fun (informative, too!) Birchy Rides 0 December 22nd 04 12:28 AM
Rail riding training... andrew_carter Unicycling 46 February 7th 04 10:25 AM