Steel is real - again

Old January 3rd 16, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Default Steel is real - again

A new process for heat treating steel produces a product with a higher
strength to weight ratio than aluminum or titanium. As an added bonus, it
can be welded without any need for post-welding heat treating.

www.flashbainite.com

Discuss...
Old January 3rd 16, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:15:23 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
A new process for heat treating steel produces a product with a higher
strength to weight ratio than aluminum or titanium. As an added bonus, it
can be welded without any need for post-welding heat treating.

www.flashbainite.com

Discuss...

our African correspondent send this photo of an alloy test...

http://static3.businessinsider.com/i...e-africa-2.jpg

LA Times suggests you check the nab for loose roadside trash ...
Old January 3rd 16, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 03/01/16 20:15, Ralph Barone wrote:
A new process for heat treating steel produces a product with a higher
strength to weight ratio than aluminum or titanium. As an added bonus, it
can be welded without any need for post-welding heat treating.

www.flashbainite.com

Discuss...

http://phys.org/news/2011-06-lighter...er-steel-.html

Has some more details.

Old January 3rd 16, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/3/2016 5:33 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 03/01/16 20:15, Ralph Barone wrote:
A new process for heat treating steel produces a product with a higher
strength to weight ratio than aluminum or titanium. As an added
bonus, it
can be welded without any need for post-welding heat treating.

www.flashbainite.com

Discuss...

http://phys.org/news/2011-06-lighter...er-steel-.html

Has some more details.

Here too: http://www.gizmag.com/flash-bainite-...testing/40774/
with further links from there.

Sounds like it's got real potential. I didn't read details on its
weldability, but they seem to claim it's very good. I don't know if
that applies to the sub-millimeter wall thicknesses we might use.

The ductility at that strength level is amazing. I can envision
radically hydroformed steel tubes that are thin and light.

Of course, I'm not so much into losing grams from a bike; but it's still
pretty fascinating. And it's cool that it was developed by a hacker, so
to speak, instead of a certified research metallurgist.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 4th 16, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 20:15:20 GMT, Ralph Barone
wrote:

A new process for heat treating steel produces a product with a higher
strength to weight ratio than aluminum or titanium. As an added bonus, it
can be welded without any need for post-welding heat treating.

www.flashbainite.com

Discuss...

"Bainite", which is a description of the structure of steel, was
discovered in 1920 and, if what I read is correct, results in a steel
that is 7% stronger.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 4th 16, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:37:50 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I did come across a study that was largely concerned with weldability
and apparently this material is weldable and perhaps produces stronger
welds then some other steels.

Much of the literature I find seems to be published by those who are
trying to sell the new idea but there do seem to be claims that it
increases strengths of steel by 7% although I can't find any
comparative studies of specific alloys. A 7% increase in strength of,
say 1020 steel compared with ???? for 4130, for example.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 4th 16, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John B. really john.....did you hear about Portland Cement ?

newest thing in boat hulls.....

Old January 4th 16, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

A new process for heat treating steel produces a product with a higher
strength to weight ratio than aluminum or titanium. As an added bonus, it
can be welded without any need for post-welding heat treating.

www.flashbainite.com

Discuss...

"Bainite", which is a description of the structure of steel, was
discovered in 1920 and, if what I read is correct, results in a steel
that is 7% stronger.

1920! Sewerly we'd be using it by now.

Old January 4th 16, 10:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

rainrainrain..PITA

how'd Yawl find this steel site ?
Old January 4th 16, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

A new process for heat treating steel produces a product with a higher
strength to weight ratio than aluminum or titanium. As an added bonus, it
can be welded without any need for post-welding heat treating.

www.flashbainite.com

Discuss...

"Bainite", which is a description of the structure of steel, was
discovered in 1920 and, if what I read is correct, results in a steel
that is 7% stronger.

1920! Sewerly we'd be using it by now.

Well, you can look it up for yourself, but from what I read it was
first described by E. S. Davenport and Edgar Bain in the early 1920's.
Who, I believe, both worked for U.S. Steel. Bain died nearly 20 years
ago.

"in the 1920s Davenport and Bain discovered a new steel microstructure
which they provisionally called martensite-troostite, due to it being
intermediate between the already known low-temperature martensite
phase and what was then known as troostite (now fine-pearlite). This
microstructure was subsequently named bainite by Bain's colleagues at
the United States Steel Corporation although it took some time for the
name to be taken up by the scientific community with books as late as
1947 failing to mention bainite by name."
--
cheers,

John B.

Steel may be real but.... Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 5 June 4th 13 03:06 AM
steel is very real and very alive [email protected][_2_] Techniques 35 December 23rd 10 02:21 AM
Steel is Real [email protected] General 0 September 4th 06 05:46 AM
Steel is Real Gags Australia 12 August 18th 05 11:57 AM
Steel is real. A real dick! [email protected] Mountain Biking 0 February 11th 05 02:53 PM