Bought a 10 speed cassette instead of a 9; can I make it work?

Old April 2nd 05, 04:52 AM
Chris Esposito

Default Bought a 10 speed cassette instead of a 9; can I make it work?

I recently swapped my few year old Ultegra triple crankset for a Stronglight Pulsion triple, and the middle chainring went from 39 to 42. I had been thinking about a bit wider range cassette anyway, so I just bought a 12-27 10 speed Dura Ace cassette. Since my existing brifters and drivetrain are for a 9-speed, I was clearly not paying enough attention :-). So how screwed am I? Assuming the cassette won't `just work' if I install it (or will it?), is there some small set of other components (e.g., narrower chain, rear derailleur, etc.) that I can replace to get this to work, or would I need to replace everything (brifters, chain, both derailleurs)?

Chris

Old April 2nd 05, 05:22 AM
Bill Sornson

Chris Esposito wrote:
I recently swapped my few year old Ultegra triple crankset for a
Stronglight Pulsion triple, and the middle chainring went from 39 to
42. I had been thinking about a bit wider range cassette anyway, so I
just bought a 12-27 10 speed Dura Ace cassette. Since my existing
brifters and drivetrain are for a 9-speed, I was clearly not paying
enough attention :-). So how screwed am I? Assuming the cassette
won't `just work' if I install it (or will it?), is there some small
set of other components (e.g., narrower chain, rear derailleur, etc.)
that I can replace to get this to work, or would I need to replace
everything (brifters, chain, both derailleurs)?

Um, I'll bite. Why can't you exchange it for the right type? (Two guys in
a van, right? Just happened to have received "extra inventory" from the
"home office"?)

Take it back.

Old April 2nd 05, 06:11 AM
Sheldon Brown

Chris Esposito wrote:
=20
I recently swapped my few year old Ultegra triple crankset for a
Stronglight Pulsion triple, and the middle chainring went from 39 to
42. I had been thinking about a bit wider range cassette anyway, so I
just bought a 12-27 10 speed Dura Ace cassette. Since my existing
brifters and drivetrain are for a 9-speed, I was clearly not paying
enough attention :-). So how screwed am I? Assuming the cassette
won't `just work' if I install it (or will it?), is there some small
set of other components (e.g., narrower chain, rear derailleur, etc.)
that I can replace to get this to work, or would I need to replace
everything (brifters, chain, both derailleurs)?

=20

You only need 4 things to convert an 8- or 9-speed Shimano bike to 9- or =

10-speed:

=95Shifters (technically only need the right side, but few folks can stan=
d=20
the asymmetry of different models on each side.

=95Cassette

=95Chain but you should always replace the chain with a new cassette.

=95Handlebar tape

Bill Sornson wrote:
=20
Um, I'll bite. Why can't you exchange it for the right type? (Two guy=

s in
a van, right? Just happened to have received "extra inventory" from th=

"home office"?)
=20
Take it back.

Might not be so easy...the 9-speed 12-27 has been short/sporadic supply=20
for several months, it's the most popular aftermarket model. 10-speeds=20
are actually easier to find in this range for the moment.

Sheldon "Dekagear" Brown
| The longer I live the more I see that I am never |
| wrong about anything, and that all the pains that |
| I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have |
| only wasted my time. -- George Bernard Shaw |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old April 2nd 05, 06:18 AM

No, nothing quite like that. I realized after posting that I left out
two pieces of info, and without those I expected just such a response
as this (I cant say I blame you, as I might have thought much the same
reply): I bought it on eBay, and was thinking about moving to a
10-speed triple later in the year anyway, so I'm inclined towards
keeping it if there is an incremental solution now, and I can finish
the conversion of the remaining components later.

Chris

Old April 2nd 05, 10:09 PM
Ed Cory

There seems to be a good solution per:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

notice that the 10sp shimano cassette is spaced 3.95 mm.

Go to the Shimano mechs table.
In the Shimano 9 row, go to the "Hubbub" column where
you see that 3.94mm movement results using the Hubbub
mod. with your 9sp rear der. This is so close that
it probably tighter that the manufacturing tolerances
on the cassette or der performance.

The Hubbub mod. is shown on the above page or you
can see a bit more at:
http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm
where it is described as a way to use Camp. ergo 10 levers
with shimano 9 cassettes (to get a wide range cassette).

Clever folks those Ohioans.

You'll have to pick whether to give up your 12 or your 27
and I'd expect to need the narrower chain. When you get
10 sp levers remember to put the cable back.

good luck with it,
Ed

Old April 4th 05, 12:59 AM
Paul Kopit

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 06:49:30 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

Cannot use a 10s cogset with shimano 9s shifters. They offer no loose
cog version so respacing is not an option either.

I am led to believe that you can using the Hubub method of attachment
of the derailleur cable. The pull is about 3.94. You could shift 9
of the 10 cogs. 13/27 or 12/25.