What do I need fixed?

Old September 20th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

Default What do I need fixed?

The other day I went out for a muni ride and everywhere I rode my
unicycle was wobbly, I didn't know what it was until I stopped riding
and dropped my unicycle, when I dropped it I saw that the cranks were
nothing near parallel. I really enjoy muni riding so I'd like to get it
fixed, but I don't know what needs to be fixed.
Could anyone help me out. Here's a picture.
28688

Edit, the cranks are square tapered, not isis

|Filename: not parallell.jpg |

hungry4uni

If only all bikes were cut in two

'My
Videos'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/mthomasdpm)
*'My
Sponsor' (www.sixsixone.com/)*
Old September 20th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

Looks like you've rounded off the squre part of the hub... so you'll
need a new hub and probably cranks.

--
jamessd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsb3y-YOSk
Add me, but tel me who you are :

scott aka 1-wheeled-grape wrote:
I could never do yoga... I'm too fat I was forced to do it in primary
school and the results were by no means fun

Old September 20th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

jamessd wrote:
Looks like you've rounded off the squre part of the hub... so you'll
need a new hub and probably cranks.

either that or he's twisted the axle. Take off the cranks and check the
crank and ends of the hub, if they're rounded off then you need a new
hub and cranks, if they're not rounded then you'll just need a new hub.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old September 20th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

no, thats probably bent. you'lll probably need a new wheelset, and if
you like muni , i would suggest a whole new unicycle (24")

a hub will be expensive to replace, i think you can find wheelsets for
$35-40, so that would be the cheapest option, just do a little
research.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old September 20th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tyler_N

i did that to mine too. i kept riding it until the hub snapped and the
rim was bent. then i took my old uni and turned it in to a home made
GUni

--
Tyler_N

UNIPROSHOP.COM
2nd*)---, '30ft Coaster~
')-mostpointlessthread-/--O'
'My latest video!' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6PPpcKrm1A)

UniKid2 wrote:

dakoroman wrote:
analize

lol

'*MYSPACE*' (myspace.com/munirider)
Old September 20th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
adjuggler

I'm going to suggest hub + cranks replacement. But the truth is the
next guy is going to say for muni get a new rim and tyre. Then the
next guy will say frame and so on.... Upgrade, I don't think it is
worth it to stay w/ the torker.

--
adjuggler

-Last edited by 'SixSixOne' (sixsixone.com) :
'Youtube-ay' (youtube.com/adjuggler) at
'Vim:eo' (vimeo.com/adjuggler) PM.-
'Belle Isle Richmond, VA (Comp Thread)' (http://tinyurl.com/5c9sdu)
-David
Old September 20th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forrestunifreak

So here's the deal:

If it's only the crank that is bent, and not the hub, then you need to
replace the crank and that won't be too expensive...

If the hub is bent, then it is probably not worth it to you to replace
that. You should just think about getting a new unicycle. It's cheaper
then upgrading piece by piece like that.

--
forrestunifreak

'*-My Gallery*' (http://tinyurl.com/wcrsl) -
hasn't been
updated*www.qu-ax.com*
*unicycle for christ*

Joe "Hodgekins" wrote:
Oh... they don't kick bricks, do they?

Old September 20th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Forrest is on track. Check the cheap component first. The angular
displacement of the cranks in the photo is dramatic. You should be able
to take both cranks off and then put them on one side of the axle, one
crank at a time. You don't need to tighten them to do this. Don't allow
the axle to rotate when you do this. Look at each crank when it is
attached to the axle. If they look like they are at very different
angles, then AT LEAST ONE crank is CERTAINLY bent and you MAY have a
cheap fix. This does NOT indicate that the axle is OK.

If the cranks are bent, it is somewhat more difficult to check to see
if the axle is twisted or rounded because the cranks can't be used as a
reference. Try this. Anchor the wheel vertically with the axle flats on
top as horizontal as possible and the axis of the axle also horizontal.
It may already be obvious that the axle is twisted and you can't do this
on both sides. Balance a straight edge on one side and observe the angle
at which it rests. Now balance it on the other side and compare. For a
direct comparison, balance a straight edge on both sides
simultaneously. If the straight edges don't line up...

...buy a new unicycle.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith

Fixed cup will not stay fixed - help! news UK 13 June 7th 06 04:46 PM
fixed TimC Australia 3 March 28th 06 01:25 PM
Question on a fixed/fixed track wheel [email protected] Techniques 6 December 22nd 05 07:22 AM
54 cm fixed gear frame (potential for fixed 'cross) Andrew Karre Marketplace 0 August 30th 04 02:13 PM
Fixed Down! Tony B UK 7 July 4th 04 06:33 PM