Driver on drugs who mowed down group of cyclists while on wrong sideof road is jailed - LONG

Old September 15th 20, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

Default Driver on drugs who mowed down group of cyclists while on wrongside of road is jailed - LONG

On 15/09/2020 09:32, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/09/2020 00:19, JNugent wrote:
On 14/09/2020 20:44, TMS320 wrote:
On 14/09/2020 16:17, JNugent wrote:

[ ... ]

TMS320 seemed to think that because a Road Traffic Act of 1930
contained a Section making non-compliance with traffic lights an
offence, that it wasn't an offence before that.

I quoted the information I have. If you know better, tell us.

Please make your view clear.

Does this help?

Ay quoted de information ay 'uv. If ye nah scutty, tell us.

Are you claiming,

I am reporting not claiming. Look these two words up to see if you can
find a difference.

I asked whether an Act containing a prohibition on something means
that it wasn't already prohibited (TMS320 seemed to be under that
impression).

(Though as we know, it is almost impossible to be convicted of
dangerous driving.)

It SHOULD be impossible, or very nearly impossible, to be convicted
of an offence one has not committed.

You're making the mistake in thinking that certain acts of driving
aren't dangerous until agreed by a jury.

The courts *are* the ultimate arbiters as to fact. Not police officers
and certainly not passing cyclists scooting along footways and through
red traffic lights.

All court does is to decide whether Her Majesty gives the driver a
smacked botty.

So you "think" that passing cyclists (or perhaps even keyboard warrior
cyclists such as yourself) should be able to decide on whether drivers
have committed an offence.

Even you would support that as a general principle, I expect.

I doubt that even you dare to put pavement cycling in the same
category. Particularly as any argument falls flat in light of the
many places where the mix of cyclist and pedestrian is allowed.

Where did that come from? What does it have to do with the rolling
review, amendment and consolidation of statute law?

Pavement cycling has been mentioned by you in this thread.

But not within this topic.

If you were to read your posts back you would notice how the matter
frequently and randomly pops up.

Irrelevant.

Do you wish to try to state that cycling along pedestrian footways
(which you call "pavement cycling") is lawful?

To remind you, the topic had moved into intention of law and issues of
safety.

On the topic of law and safety, do you wish to try to state that cycling
along pedestrian footways (which you call "pavement cycling") is lawful?

Old September 15th 20, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 15/09/2020 09:58, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 00:18:04 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

Do you wish to try to state that cycling along pedestrian footways
(which you call "pavement cycling") is lawful?

After the council has been along with the Magic White Paint most motorists think it is compulsory.

Not this one.

Stay off the "pavement", correctly known, for good reason, as the
footway. It's for pedestrians.
Old September 15th 20, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 10:49:39 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 15/09/2020 04:23, Mike Collins wrote:
On Monday, 14 September 2020 16:15:57 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 14/09/2020 14:42, TMS320 wrote:
On 14/09/2020 12:54, JNugent wrote:
On 14/09/2020 11:18, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/09/2020 15:20, Mike Collins wrote:
On Saturday, 12 September 2020 15:04:55 UTC+1, JNugentĀ* wrote:
On 12/09/2020 14:52, Mike Collins wrote:

Finally you grasp the difference between law and legislative intent.

I really doubt it.

When the law against the use of carriages on footways was introduced,

That would be the 1835 Highways Act.

I expect the legal gods that Nugent worships knew all about future
inventions.

there was no legislative intent to allow cyclists to cycle along them.

I have a copy of the first Highway Code. Nowhere does it mention
pavements except to tell pedestrians to "never walk on the
carriageway where there is a pavement".
https://swarb.co.uk/taylor-v-goodwin-qbd-1879/

When traffic lights were introduced

Their purpose was to manage traffic flow and had nothing to do with
safety.

No-one has commented below on that bit.

Well, no-one important.

Once again you fail to grasp the simple concept that traffic lights were only introduced to manage motor traffic flow on roads paid for by cyclists.

Do traffic lights not apply to cyclists?

A simple "Yes" or "No" will suffice.

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Old September 15th 20, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 15/09/2020 11:29, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Don't wriggle.

Do traffic lights apply to cyclists (must cyclists comply with them)?

Yes, or no?

Which is it?

Old September 15th 20, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 15/09/2020 11:30, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 10:53:41 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 15/09/2020 09:58, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 00:18:04 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

Do you wish to try to state that cycling along pedestrian footways
(which you call "pavement cycling") is lawful?

After the council has been along with the Magic White Paint most motorists think it is compulsory.

Not this one.

Which one?

I have told you before and now you prove it; for your own good, you need:

https://tinyurl.com/y6nr5wbw

Old September 15th 20, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 12:07:54 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Just answer the question.
Have you stopped beating your wife.
Yes or no, which is it?
Old September 15th 20, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 12:09:50 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 15/09/2020 11:30, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 10:53:41 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 15/09/2020 09:58, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 00:18:04 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

Do you wish to try to state that cycling along pedestrian footways
(which you call "pavement cycling") is lawful?

After the council has been along with the Magic White Paint most motorists think it is compulsory.

Not this one.

Which one?

I have told you before and now you prove it; for your own good, you need:

https://tinyurl.com/y6nr5wbw

So no answer as usual.
Old September 15th 20, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 15/09/2020 13:53, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 12:09:50 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 15/09/2020 11:30, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 10:53:41 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 15/09/2020 09:58, Mike Collins wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 00:18:04 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

Do you wish to try to state that cycling along pedestrian footways
(which you call "pavement cycling") is lawful?

After the council has been along with the Magic White Paint most motorists think it is compulsory.

Not this one.

Which one?

I have told you before and now you prove it; for your own good, you need:

https://tinyurl.com/y6nr5wbw

So no answer as usual.

Ask a silly question (something I have to admit you are pretty good at)
and you will sometimes get a helpful answer.

My recommendation that you buy yourself a copy of "English Grammar For
Dummies" was well-meant.

You *do need* it.
Old September 15th 20, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 15:19:32 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

If I am unable to understand English, as you claim, how can I buy a book from an English website?