If you could only have one bike...

Old October 29th 03, 08:24 PM
Ken Kobayashi

Default If you could only have one bike...

If I could only have one bike...

.... my life would be without meaning.

Seriously though, if I had to sell all but one of my bikes, I think
I'll keep the SatRDay. I admit it's heavy and not particularly fast,
but it's the only recumbent that fits in an airline-legal suitcase.
(The Lightning Voyager comes _really_ close though). And it's a very
practical bike - easy to get on/off, handles well, and even has a
built-in trailer hitch. I used this bike for Cycle Oregon this year
because I decided the hassle and cost of shipping my Aero wouldn't be
worth the performance gain. I didn't regret the choice.

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/
Old October 29th 03, 11:46 PM
Larry Varney

Ken Kobayashi wrote:
If I could only have one bike...

... my life would be without meaning.

Seriously though, if I had to sell all but one of my bikes, I think
I'll keep the SatRDay. I admit it's heavy and not particularly fast,
but it's the only recumbent that fits in an airline-legal suitcase.
(The Lightning Voyager comes _really_ close though). And it's a very
practical bike - easy to get on/off, handles well, and even has a
built-in trailer hitch. I used this bike for Cycle Oregon this year
because I decided the hassle and cost of shipping my Aero wouldn't be
worth the performance gain. I didn't regret the choice.

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Yes, but you're making me regret having sold mine! Here's hoping that
Bike Friday does come up with an even better, or I'll even take just as
good, new SatRDay. Maybe they can call it Sunday Morning?

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Old October 30th 03, 06:06 AM
avgrin

B"H
After trying almost every recumbent out there it is definetely a Swift
trike! It is great for commuting, good off road, and fantastic for
long trips.
Victor
Swift triker
Old October 30th 03, 08:40 AM
Torben Scheel

"stratrider" wrote in message
m...
Yet if I could only have one recumbent..

Having nightmares, are we?

Don't joke about that!
Torben

Old October 30th 03, 08:45 AM
Torben Scheel

"Larry Varney" wrote in message
Yes, but you're making me regret having sold mine! Here's hoping that
Bike Friday does come up with an even better, or I'll even take just as
good, new SatRDay. Maybe they can call it Sunday Morning?

Or Hungover?

,-)
Torben

Old October 30th 03, 08:53 AM
Torben Scheel

"Eduardo L P Jr" wrote in message
Just one?

A ZOX 20 Z-Frame... As they don't have resellers in my country, I've built
my own one...

Ypê Bike: http://www.ypebike.cjb.net/

Nice job. I really like the rear fork, but I wonder why you got the frame
galvanized - It doesn't really look like your roads are exposed to salt. And
I think that I'd find the seat too upright.

Regards,
Torben

Old October 30th 03, 01:32 PM
Peter Amey

It woul dhave to be my Brompton folder - the most useful bike I have
ever owned. (However, my _second_ bike would be a recumbent!).

Peter

Old October 30th 03, 04:01 PM
Eduardo L P Jr

Hi Torben!

I live at about 600 km far away from the seashore and you are entirely
right. We have few (maybe zero) corrosion troubles here, but I've spent less
than US$ 4.00 to zinc plate the entire frame and about US$ 7.00 to powder
coat, so I've decided to make a "bombproof" finishing ;-)

About the seat position, you are allright too. I've used a 110 deg angle to
the backrest. So upright, but was necessary to use 26" rear wheel and to
maintain a short wheelbase (1.10 m, because I live in a flat building and
the bike needs to be easy to carry on and off the building elevator).

My next bike will use a 20" rear wheel and a backrest angle of about 130
deg.

[]'s Eduardo

"Torben Scheel" escreveu na mensagem
k...
"Eduardo L P Jr" wrote in message
Just one?

A ZOX 20 Z-Frame... As they don't have resellers in my country, I've

built
my own one...

..
Ypê Bike: http://www.ypebike.cjb.net/

Nice job. I really like the rear fork, but I wonder why you got the frame
galvanized - It doesn't really look like your roads are exposed to salt.

And
I think that I'd find the seat too upright.

Regards,
Torben

---

Old October 30th 03, 06:26 PM
mike s

Peter Amey wrote in message ...
It woul dhave to be my Brompton folder - the most useful bike I have
ever owned. (However, my _second_ bike would be a recumbent!).

Peter

I am in the same camp with Cletus. If you could have only one bike
versatility would have to be the key. I lean toward a V-Rex, Giro or
Barcroft Dakota. SWB would be the preferable design but one in which
you could feel at home touring with. Ability to run on narrow or wide
tires and the capability of fenders for inclement weather. Need to
climb well and to tour at a decent speed. Need to use componentry
readily available in case of breakdown. Need to be easy to adjust.
Also need to be comfortable. I think these three (all of which share
the same general design but with different wheelbases and which seem
to have Mark Colliton in their pedigree) meet that criteria. I think
if you rank bikes in different categories none of these would win any
category outright but when you add up the total points they would be
at or very near the top. Doesn't mean I would trade my Virginia for
them, but that is because my commuter Rocket let's me save the
Virginia for the longer rides, so I am fortunate not to need only one
bike.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.

Barcroft Virginia
Barcroft Columbia
RANS Rocket
Old October 30th 03, 07:29 PM

stratrider wrote:
: I now have a 99 Stratus and an 03 Strada. I can commute and tour on
: the Stratus. I can ride hard and fast on the Strada. By adding a
: Cannondale, I could add off road riding to the list. Yet if I could
: only have one recumbent, what bike would I own? I am not sure....

Of course it would have to be a trike, as you will want all the
trike possibilities and benefits. It would need to have a
streamlined fairing, in a rather small form factor so it gives you
the best aerodynamics for your personal body size.

I guess that sums it up... :-)

It could have rear suspension for handling rear-world road
conditions at high speeds. And top part of the fairing would have
to be removable for hot summer weather.

This would be the ultimate vehicle. A protective fairing with the
stability and load capacity of a trike platform would be ideal for
any building projects (real computers anyone? and quite
suitable for touring. With the fairing you'd gain some visibility
- good for commuting. Turning radius would be large, but you can
just ride roads or get yourself a proper velomobile-compatible
commute

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi