RR: On The Road (Warning: GRS Content)

Old June 6th 05, 02:29 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Default RR: On The Road (Warning: GRS Content)

** RR with in-line pics available at: http://tinyurl.com/7ltvw **

Today was the Wachovia US Pro road race, aka the Manyunk Wall. Yes,
road but we did ride some trails. As is JAR tradition, we started off
with a nice singletrack ride in Wissahickon Valley Park.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2297.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2298.jpg

It's the same trails we always ride here so if you really want to see
pictures of it, look at my older ride reports.

After a nice hour or so ride on dirt, we head into Manyunk to watch the
pros. First up, the girls come wizzing by.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2302.jpg

Under the train tracks they make the turn to start up the Manyunk Wall.
This is a 1.5 mile climb with most of it at a 17% incline. Now
imagine doing this 11 times at 25+ miles per hour.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2311.jpg

It looks like this racer took a nasty spill and still has the blood to
prove it.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2305.jpg

It was getting hot as temps rose into the mid 80's. The group takes
shelter under the tracks. What the heck is Tom looking it?

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2306.jpg

People will obviously use any excuse to party. This race is no
exception. People line the streets pounding down the brew. You can
only imagine what Live 8 will be like. After doing our own climb up the
wall (on parallel streets), we spot the first results of the race binge.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2326.jpg

Now the leader men power up the wall.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2329.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2330.jpg

Here is a quick video of the guys coming up the wall:

http://www.schnauzers.ws/wall.avi

We wait around a bit more for the women to come around again.

The look of determination:

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2335.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2344.jpg

I get a wave from one of the cute ones!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2338.jpg

After the wall there is a screaming downhill. The men are probably
doing high 30's here.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2358.jpg

Ok, it was road but it is still cool to watch it up close. These people
really work hard at this race. The wall is not fun!

I did save the best pic for last. A lot of people say that roadies are
gay. Well, this may be proof.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public%5Cim...d/IMG_2351.jpg

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o