Shimano Bar-End Shifters and SRAM DualDrive??

Old March 10th 06, 03:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Shimano Bar-End Shifters and SRAM DualDrive??

Say, didn't Peter Clinch say his girl Roos had this set-up on her Nazca
Fiero??

How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

Old March 10th 06, 05:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:
Say, didn't Peter Clinch say his girl Roos had this set-up on her Nazca
Fiero??

How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

You have to work out your own way of pulling the cable shifting the hub
the right amount. I have no idea how well this can actually work and
how much the hubs like it.

Old March 10th 06, 08:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Nate Knutson wrote:

NYC XYZ wrote:

How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

You have to work out your own way of pulling the cable shifting the hub
the right amount. I have no idea how well this can actually work and
how much the hubs like it.

It's been working very well for several years on my trike with Sachs 3x
- without any modifications to the shifters. I don't know if the hub
likes it, but no complaints till now.

Only problem I've experienced so far is some accidental shifting while
my hands were resting on the shifters - the most comfortable position
for me on my trike with under seat steering.

Kurt
Old March 10th 06, 08:36 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Nate Knutson wrote:

NYC XYZ wrote:

How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

You have to work out your own way of pulling the cable shifting the hub
the right amount. I have no idea how well this can actually work and
how much the hubs like it.

It's been working very well for several years on my trike with Sachs 3x7

Old March 10th 06, 03:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:
Ah, so it *is* possible! No bike mechanic seems to know how, however.

Nazca (www.nazca-ligfietsen.nl) supply bar ends as a standard on their
underseat DualDrive machines, so maybe get in touch with them.

The left changer for the hub has been hacked slightly so there is a
click notch. Apparently if it isn't in the right place you'll cause
excessive wear on the hub. Or something else that's a Bit Naughty.
Roos' Fiero has this setup, it works very well.

vertical disposition as employed on 'bents. But the SRAM DualDrive
sounds like an overall superior drivetrain...?

Depends what you want. Compared to XT it's better in town as you can
change stood still. The front of the bike is cleaner with no
derailleur, and no need to route cables up the boom. Also less chain
wear, and no worries about using "wrong" gears when on big or small
front rings.
But it's less efficient than a pure derailleur and there's more rolling
resistance freesheeling with a hub gear, and it's bigger faff taking the
rear wheel out.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 11th 06, 05:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

WTF is up with Nazca's site -- up half the time, down half the time!
Ever since I first started getting the slightest glint of interest in
recumbent bicycling almost a year ago, this company's webpages have
been on-again/off-again.

As for bar-end shifters and DualDrive, well, Hostel Shoppe (probably
one of the two highest-rated US 'bent dealers, the other being the guy
that also does projectmobility.org) wrote saying that they can imagine
a way to incorporate the two, but it'll be time-consuming and
expensive, involving a new set of wheels for some reason apparently
having to do with disc brakes...?

Might as well go Rohloff for those prices! But it was interesting to
know they'd figured it out somehow. =)

Old March 11th 06, 01:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:

As for bar-end shifters and DualDrive, well, Hostel Shoppe (probably
one of the two highest-rated US 'bent dealers, the other being the guy
that also does projectmobility.org) wrote saying that they can imagine
a way to incorporate the two, but it'll be time-consuming and
expensive, involving a new set of wheels for some reason apparently
having to do with disc brakes...?

It's a standard option from Nazca, as are disc specific or non disc
specific wheels. And Nazcas are cheaper than HPVels.

Might as well go Rohloff for those prices! But it was interesting to
know they'd figured it out somehow. =)

Since it's a standard option on their USS bikes, I think they've
figured it out a lot better than the chaps you mention above!

Pete.
Old March 11th 06, 06:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Clinch wrote:
NYC XYZ wrote:

As for bar-end shifters and DualDrive, well, Hostel Shoppe (probably
one of the two highest-rated US 'bent dealers, the other being the
guy that also does projectmobility.org) wrote saying that they can
imagine a way to incorporate the two, but it'll be time-consuming and
expensive, involving a new set of wheels for some reason apparently
having to do with disc brakes...?

It's a standard option from Nazca, as are disc specific or non disc
specific wheels. And Nazcas are cheaper than HPVels.

Might be differences in availability of parts in different continents,
resulting in having totally different levels of familiarity with the parts.

I get the impression (from places like Sheldon Brown's website) that hub
gears and dual-drive gears are rare in the USA, whereas they are regularly
fitted to normal upright bikes in Germany and the Netherlands.

As the latter two are home to many of Europe's recumbent designers, they
would have access to the bits and pieces.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old March 11th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Nigel Cliffe wrote:

Might be differences in availability of parts in different continents,
resulting in having totally different levels of familiarity with the parts.

Up to a point, but there again if the hack Nazca have worked out
was /that/ obvious then everyone would be doing it, but if you get
a DualDrive from HPVel or Optima (and I assume others) with
underseat bars then you get the standard DD twistgrip which isn't
as easy as you'd like to use becasue the business end is at the
heel of your hand rather than between thumb and forefinger.

So I'm inclined to think it's (a) quite a clever little hack, but
further the case that (b) once they'd worked it out it doesn't cost
them that much to implement. I don't know what's been done aside
from some sort of index notch at the Magic Spot, but it works very
nicely and much better than the standard control applied
upside-down on an underseat bar.

Pete.