Shimano M520 pedals

Old November 17th 03, 01:31 AM
Rob F

Default Shimano M520 pedals

I'm thinking about a '04 Trek 2200 which comes with Shimano M520 pedals, are
these pedals any good ?

--
Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://web2.airmail.net/rfruth

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun
____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 (Nashbar SPD comatable pedals) for real fun !
____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback
(_)/ (_)

---

Old November 17th 03, 03:47 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm thinking about a '04 Trek 2200 which comes with Shimano M520 pedals,
are
these pedals any good ?

The M520 is more than just a "good" pedal... they're great pedals for the
price. They, and the M515 that came before them, will run forever, never
jam up, have cleats you can get anywhere... unless you're thinking about a
racing-style shoe (non-recessed cleat) I'd say they're the way to go.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 18th 03, 08:12 PM
Bård Brørs

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote..
I'm thinking about a '04 Trek 2200 which comes with Shimano M520 pedals,

are
these pedals any good ?

The M520 is more than just a "good" pedal... they're great pedals for the
price. They, and the M515 that came before them, will run forever, never
jam up, have cleats you can get anywhere... unless you're thinking about a
racing-style shoe (non-recessed cleat) I'd say they're the way to go.

As far as I know these pedals have only been on the market for a month or
two. What is the statement on durability based upon?

Bård Brørs

Old November 18th 03, 11:16 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

As far as I know these pedals have only been on the market for a month or
two. What is the statement on durability based upon?

We've had them for about four months with zero problems, large numbers in
the field, and the axle/bearing assembly appears similar to the 515. Add to
that the fact that we've had zero problems with *any* Shimano double-sided
SPD pedal, and I feel confident we won't see issues with the 520.

But, your point is not irrelevant; the 515 has been around for a very long
time, so if someone is really concerned about long-term durability, they
might consider it instead.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote..

Old December 11th 03, 03:30 AM
Wayne

It appears from the Shimano web site that the M520 -- and M540 as well
-- accept only the SH51 cleats, and not the multi-release SH55.

Is this true, please? (Is the binding mechanism really that different
from that on the 515?)

Wayne

pedals, for starters Allan Adler General 5 September 9th 03 02:36 AM
Speedplay or Shimano toby General 15 September 6th 03 04:28 PM
Which pedals: nylon or metal? [email protected] General 15 September 2nd 03 04:04 AM
My thoughts on Speedplay pedals Bob M General 10 August 29th 03 10:11 PM
Lance pedals clipping in problem Ken Freeland General 1 August 22nd 03 11:23 AM