Shimano Coasting Bikes?

Old August 29th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Blake

Default Shimano Coasting Bikes?

Any Shimano Coasting group (Trek Lime, Giant Suede Coasting or Raleigh
Coasting) bike owners? My wife and I have Giant Suede Coastings and get
quite a bit of interest when we ride. We have had ours for about a month
now and have ridden every day since. We are up to about 10 miles a day at
an average speed of almost 9 mph. Not bad since my wife has not ridden for
over 30 years.

My regular bike is a 2002 Specialized Allez Sport (105/Tiagra) but I have
not ridden it since getting the Giants. Any other oldies (1943 & 1947
models here) out there that have rediscovered balloon tired, coaster brake
biking?

I am amazed at how smoothly the shifting mechanisim works. I do need to
determine if the front Dynamo hub puts out enough power to light up some
front lights but I have not been able to find any technical data on the hub.

K9JRI-Mike

Old August 31st 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

I am amazed at how smoothly the shifting mechanisim works. I do need to
determine if the front Dynamo hub puts out enough power to light up some
front lights but I have not been able to find any technical data on the
hub.

K9JRI-Mike

The front dynamo isn't designed (and isn't powerful enough) to run a light.
It's purpose is to monitor speed and develop power to work the shifting
mechanism. It *could* have been made so that it could power other things;
obviously, it's not doing much most of the time. Just like they *could* have
put a speedometer on it. Just like they *could* have added a push-button
shift over-ride, which would have been way-cool for us tech geeks who want
more control!

Still, it's a very cool machine as-is. Just a royal pain to remove the rear
wheel if you get a flat.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

et...