Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerouson road

Old October 27th 05, 10:16 PM
Plodder

Default Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerous on road

wrote in message
ups.com...

Plonker wrote:

I wonder about it though. I haven't seen anyone griping about 4WDs used

for
their intended purpose.

Oh yeah, I also drive my fourbie to town, complete with STEEL bullbar.

What I do see, though,

You can't see anything through your squinty little eyes.

is 4WD owners getting all
defensive when someone questions their toys.

Point of order, **** face, my fourbies are not "toys," they are TOOLS,
just as important to my income earning capacity as is a chainsaw to a
timber cutter or a soldering iron to a radio technician.

Fine - what's your gripe? It should be abundantly clear that nobody's
complaining about fourbies used as they are intended. If you can't see that
then my biggest concern is that you're allowed outside without a keeper.

Frank

Old October 27th 05, 10:28 PM
Plodder

"Noddy" wrote in message

"Resound" wrote in message

Well you've seen how we dress, right?

Yeah, I have, and I've always found it strange.

I mean, is there some unwritten law somewhere that states week-end bike
riders *must* get dressed up like a packet of licorice allsorts, or is it
just because they're "special"?

--
Regards,
Noddy.

As a long-time MTBer I have to agree with you (here we go- MTB vs roadies!)
I look like an egg in an egg cup in lycra, so I wear cycling shorts. I've
never seen the need to lycra up - I frighten old ladies and small children!
I also commute in a polo shirt or similar. No need for the tight stuff - my
body's as aerodynamic as a wardrobe. No benefit from advertising all the
stuff I don't use anyway. On the odd occasion I do slip into my lycra stuff
I feel like I should be wearing a racing suit when I drive...

me - tongue firmly in cheek - who gives a stuff anyway? Wear what you
want... :-)

Old October 27th 05, 10:52 PM
Plodder

"Rainbow Warrior" wrote in message
"Kim Hawtin" wrote in message
Rainbow Warrior wrote:
"Ray Peace" wrote in message

Other stuff chopped out...

Just because the wife uses it for 10kms a day shopping and picking kids up
while hubsband has Corolla at work, doesn't mean it doesn't get used

offroad
on weekends. We are down to forcing families to buy a 3rd vehicle just to

do
50km a week.

10kms a day for kids + shopping? That means everything must be pretty near
by. Why not let the kids ride their bikes to school and fit some panniers to
a shopping bike for the missus? Do the heavy shopping once a week with the
car... That's what we do and it works fine.

Frank

Old October 27th 05, 11:17 PM
Plodder

"D Walford" wrote in message

Resound wrote:
"D Walford" wrote in message

SNIP Resound's stuff

So smaller brakes and tyres would be better?

That's a plainly dumb comment.

NRMA did some stopping distance testing and whilst in some circumstances
the Landcruiser took longer to stop there isn't much in it, at slower
speeds it matched the Commodore.
http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/moto...distance.shtml
You also ignored what I said about reaction times but thats no surprise.

Daryl

"...in some circumstances the Landcruiser took longer to stop" translates
as: "...in some circumstances the Landcruiser hit things that the Commodore
stopped before hitting."

Frank

Old October 27th 05, 11:23 PM
Plodder

"Noons" wrote in message
ups.com...

Resound's comments snipped

Once again, showing total prejudice and complete and
utter ignorance of real facts.

Most 4wds in the market nowadays (and CERTAINLY most of the
so-called "toorak tractors") have ABS brakes. Which makes them
a lot better in braking distance than most sedans without them.

Bollox. ABS helps those who know no better than to stand on the brakes as
their version of an emergency stop. Proper braking technique involves
squeezing the brake pedal and controlling your vehicle (yes - I've done
advanced driving courses and rally/race training). If you're relying on ABS
to stop your vehicle from hitting things (me included!) please stay off the
road.

As confirmed by the multitude of bumps I've had to get fixed on
the rear of my Rav4 and the rear of the wife's Prado simply
because the idiots driving "safe" sedans behind us cannot break
in as short a distance.

Yes, I AM fully aware that ABS does not reduce absolute
braking distance. That's not what it does.

You really don't have a clue of reality, do you?
I suggest you stay on the physics department "research"
and leave real life to people who actually have to live it.

Daft sod...

Frank

Old October 27th 05, 11:26 PM
Spear and Magic Helmet

D Walford wrote:
http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/moto...distance.shtml

"According to ABS research*, the average age of all vehicles registered
in Australia is more than ten years, and 17 per cent of passenger
vehicles on the road were manufactured prior to 1985.

*ABS Motor Vehicle Census, 31 March 2003 (and released 27 November
2003)"

Well theres one for kieron hahahaha.

Old October 27th 05, 11:28 PM
Plodder

"Noons" wrote in message
oups.com...
TimC wrote:

Getting thrown up into the air, where some of the energy of the impact
can be disippated without injury, and crashing to ground (and
hopefully not getting run over by a truck following the impacting
vehicle) can well be less harmful that absorpting all of the energy of
impact in the few milliseconds it takes for an impact to happen.

I'm quite sure those with head injuries from hitting the ground
will agree with you...

Could well be. At least they are around to disagree. It's harder to express
an opinion from a box 6 feet under...

Frank

Old October 27th 05, 11:46 PM
Plodder

"Noons" wrote in message
oups.com...
Resound wrote some comments which I've snipped

Noons squawked:
It does NOT make ONE little bit of difference! ANY vehicle
on the road MUCH heavier than a person WILL be lethal if it
hits said person. Get real with the "4wds kill people" nonsense!
ANY motor vehicle WILL kill people!

Again - Bollox. I've been hit by while I was walking on a footpath. The car
hit me without any evidence of braking and teh driver didn't stop. I was
thrown up and over the car and ended up with a couple of bruises. Lucky (or
unlucky to be hit in the first place!)

That means any motor vehcile CAN kill people not "WILL" kill people. There's
a difference. What can be done, and what most of this thread seems to me to
be about is decreasing the likelihood of harm in a collision and avoiding
collisions in the first place.

Another point: I really do think your statement should be further amended to
" any driver can kill people..." It's not necessarlily the Toorak Taxi
that's under attack - it's the mentality of the people who buy and use a
(generic term) Landcruiser in the way described by "Toorak Taxi". People
with that outlook should not have the privilege of using the roads we all
use. Removing the Toorak Taxi won't help all that much beyond decreasing the
impact in a collision (assuming the drivers are forced into smaller
vehicles). We're all still at risk from the same person driving another
vehicle.

Frank

Old October 27th 05, 11:54 PM
dave

Plodder wrote:
"Noons" wrote in message
ups.com...

Resound's comments snipped

Once again, showing total prejudice and complete and
utter ignorance of real facts.

Most 4wds in the market nowadays (and CERTAINLY most of the
so-called "toorak tractors") have ABS brakes. Which makes them
a lot better in braking distance than most sedans without them.

Bollox. ABS helps those who know no better than to stand on the brakes as
their version of an emergency stop. Proper braking technique involves
squeezing the brake pedal and controlling your vehicle (yes - I've done
advanced driving courses and rally/race training). If you're relying on ABS
to stop your vehicle from hitting things (me included!) please stay off the
road.

On an advanced course at calder. I was the only one who evaded the
simulated accident. Brake and swerve on damp track.

In a 1967 Austin Healey sprite. One of about 4 cars on the day without
ABS. (which was rather rare then in general)

As confirmed by the multitude of bumps I've had to get fixed on
the rear of my Rav4 and the rear of the wife's Prado simply
because the idiots driving "safe" sedans behind us cannot break
in as short a distance.

Yes, I AM fully aware that ABS does not reduce absolute
braking distance. That's not what it does.

You really don't have a clue of reality, do you?
I suggest you stay on the physics department "research"
and leave real life to people who actually have to live it.

Daft sod...

Frank

Would have loved to have seen a big 4wd try that. Funnily no one had
one. Anyone want to have a go? I,ll run the video ( from a long way
away)
Old October 28th 05, 12:42 AM
Birdman

. That's what we do and it works fine.
here we go again, someone telling other people how to run their
lives..