Shimano Ultegra

Old January 24th 05, 05:02 AM
Edward

Default Shimano Ultegra

I am shopping for some new componenets, and noticed that Shimano makes
the Ultegra in the 6500 series and the 6600 series. Does anyone know
what the difference is between the two ? Thanks.....

Old January 24th 05, 05:23 AM
Ken

"Edward" wrote in news:1106542956.512707.82700
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
I am shopping for some new componenets, and noticed that Shimano makes
the Ultegra in the 6500 series and the 6600 series. Does anyone know
what the difference is between the two ? Thanks.....

2005 Ultegra is 10 speed. I think the bottom bracket has changed, too.
Old January 24th 05, 08:42 PM
Edward

Why the big price difference ?

Old January 25th 05, 12:17 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Why the big price difference ?

The new (10-speed) Ultegra is very much improved. It's lighter, has a new
crank design that Jobst doesn't object to as much as the old, shifting
similar to DuraAce 10 (particularly improvements in the STI lever, where it
seems to require less effort yet also feel more positive), and, to most,
looks much nicer.

Regarding price increases, we've seen $200 on the Trek Madones we sell,
which doesn't seem too outrageous for the improvements. You can still get
'105 if you want something less expensive.

The two things *not* to like in the Ultegra 10 group are chains that wear
out more quickly and the lack of an adjustable-reach "women's" STI lever.
Shimano claims the new Ultegra 10 lever design doesn't require an adjustable
reach, but I think it would be helpful for those with smaller hands.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Old January 25th 05, 03:15 AM
Edward

I have a Trek 1500, and I wanted to upgrade the brakes. Would the
Ultegra (6500 or 6600) be a good move ? From what I've researched, I
think the 6600 has a camber adjustment....
Thanks

Old January 26th 05, 01:07 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

I have a Trek 1500, and I wanted to upgrade the brakes. Would the
Ultegra (6500 or 6600) be a good move ? From what I've researched, I
think the 6600 has a camber adjustment....
Thanks

You could spend the money on new brakes, *or* buy some inexpensive KoolStop
brake pads and get most of the improvement for a small fraction of the cost.