V-brake arm length.

Old November 5th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default V-brake arm length.

I decided that I will remove the disk brake systems from my Redline and install V-brakes

Since I will be using a drop bar and Campy shifters I noticed that C-brakes seem to be available in a variety of arm lengths.

So my questions a

1. What arm length would be appropriate for Campy 10 speed levers

2. What brand is generally the best quality?
Old November 5th 19, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/5/2019 3:29 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I decided that I will remove the disk brake systems from my Redline and install V-brakes

Since I will be using a drop bar and Campy shifters I noticed that C-brakes seem to be available in a variety of arm lengths.

So my questions a

1. What arm length would be appropriate for Campy 10 speed levers

2. What brand is generally the best quality?

If by 'C-brake' you meant linear (V) brake, we strongly
recommend Shimano's CT91. It was engineered expertly 20+
years ago, it's sold by the millions per year, costs
nothing, sets up easily/quickly and works very well for a
good long while.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 6th 19, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 1:55:10 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/5/2019 3:29 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I decided that I will remove the disk brake systems from my Redline and install V-brakes

Since I will be using a drop bar and Campy shifters I noticed that C-brakes seem to be available in a variety of arm lengths.

So my questions a

1. What arm length would be appropriate for Campy 10 speed levers

2. What brand is generally the best quality?

If by 'C-brake' you meant linear (V) brake, we strongly
recommend Shimano's CT91. It was engineered expertly 20+
years ago, it's sold by the millions per year, costs
nothing, sets up easily/quickly and works very well for a
good long while.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

CT91'a are cantilever brakes not V-brakes and you can kill yourself pulling those things to try and slow down on a steep grade. That is why I went to the V-brakes and was so impressed with their effectiveness.

Looking deeper into it there are V-brakes for flat bar levers and those for road levers. It appears that I have to get Cyclocross specific V-brakes.
Old November 6th 19, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/5/2019 6:31 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Whoops you're right.
The matching linear is BR-T4000 (CT91 is the cantilever)

Old November 6th 19, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/5/2019 8:43 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

How about some of the "mini" V-brakes, like Tektro? They're certainly
inexpensive. They'd require less cable pull, so might they be a better
match for Campy levers?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 6th 19, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Maybe. Tire clearance is tight.
Normally one uses a compound cable pulley:
http://members.modernvespa.net/ducat...atio_17310.jpg

Old November 6th 19, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:

Maybe. Tire clearance is tight.
Normally one uses a compound cable pulley:
http://members.modernvespa.net/ducat...atio_17310.jpg

I've got Shimano XTR V-brakes with STI shifters on my drop-bar road bike. The "Travel Agents" look weird, but work very nicely.
Steve