Young new rider learns fast

Old March 19th 05, 05:16 AM
yoopers

Default Young new rider learns fast

Two weeks ago, Brad invited one of his schoolmates, 11-year-old Logan,
to club. Logan is a natural athlete and very gifted in many things. At
club that night, he was up and riding across the gym within 15 minutes.
Then he rented unicycle and took it home for the week.

Last week, Logan brought the unicycle back and was riding as if he had
been riding for years. He officially joined the club that night and
passed Level 1.

This week, Brad brought his Coker for Logan to try. It wasn't five
minutes before he had the mount down and was zipping round the gym.
After that, Mary and I banned him from the club.

We've seen two other boys learn quickly at camp a couple years ago. When
we go camping, we always take the unicycle trailer and the kids of the
campground have a blast trying to ride them. Two years ago, it took two
boys into day two before they were riding down the road. But we've never
seen anything like Logan. We might have to rename him Smiley II.

Bruce

--
yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards

Ode to Bugman: "I love vegetarians. Everything I eat is a vegetarian."
yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Old March 19th 05, 04:04 PM
Fuego

There seem to be a lot of people like that out there. A freind of mine
learned in maybe 2-3 days. I thought that was good. He has a uni now,
too. Another convert! There are now 8 people who can ride in my town,
when there were maybe 0 before we started!

--
Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

'OneWheelNinjaSquad' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/OneWheelNinjaSquad)
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old March 19th 05, 04:53 PM
musketman

woa i learned it in 30 min!! I thought it took me awhile!! But guess
not!

--
musketman
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

Old March 19th 05, 05:08 PM
James_Potter

I think it depends on how active the person is before they start
unicycling. a lot of my friends who are now unicyclists rode bikes a lot
before, and they learned quickly, as in a few days. But I barely ever
ride bikes, now or before I learned to uni, and it took me weeks before
I could ride well.
and skaters learn fast too. I think you need a good sense of balance to
be able to skateboard well.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old March 19th 05, 07:05 PM
Checkernuts

A while back a random mountain biker stopped by at our juggling club and
asked if he could try to unicycle as he had seen me on the trail a few
times and was interested. I showed him the normal way we teach beginers
and he just laughted and started to try to free mount on his own with
horrible failure. He frantically continued and with a few tips was able
to freemount a little while later but then was only able to get a few
inches of riding. This guy keept pushing himself to get it and in under
15 min he was freemounting and riding 500 feet unassisted. In another
half hour of pratice he was already better than some people in the club
who had been riding for 3 months.

Some people just are amazing learners.

--
Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20

Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old March 19th 05, 07:49 PM
caw89

Dang, it took me 2 weeks to be level one and I did mountain bikeing and
bmx a lot. NOt far.

--
caw89 - Cody

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery
New vids, Uni-vid: Yard Riding

AIM: unicaw89
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

Old March 19th 05, 10:13 PM
gerblefranklin

I met a BMX biker who wanted to try my uni. He freemounted successfully
on the second try, and made it about 20'. Then he used a pole and did a
figbure eight. Within 15 minutes he was making it down curbs. All of
this was done on my ONza with mad low air pressure and a very short
seat.

Mike Middletonlearned in a few hours.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
Technique

* I need a profile hub, any condition, as long as the splines work! (PM
me) *

Old March 20th 05, 02:53 AM
saam

my friend wanted to learn to uni so i went over yesterday with my old
uni. He had the free-mount down within minutes and was going about 10
meters, i couldn't believe it he did what took my a week in about 10
min.
then we went out on to the road for some more practise and he free
mounted and went all the way around a roundabout.

after 5 hours he is now level 3, that took me like a month, he will
probably become better then me soon but i don't care

--
saam - One Wheel Short of a Bike

(add me)

Quotes

- You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

- Dare to be yourself (Andre Gide)

-If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If
you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? (Shantideva)

saam's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9168

Old March 20th 05, 03:36 AM
ur

My mate learnt in a couple of days, and learnt by doing a running mount
which certainly takes some guts. It also resulted in him getting a fair
few cuts on his legs from my metal pedals!

--
ur - Unicycling Revolution
ur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4199

Old March 20th 05, 04:48 AM
DigitalDave

Having some to 'show' you is a big factor.

I learned on my own, in about 2 weeks I was going up and down a high
grade hill I lived on.

When I was in college, the gurls tutored did rather well.

--
DigitalDave - Ðîgï†å||¥ ËñhÂÑ€èÐ

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'20,124 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8399731)
my will to live was stronger than my will to die. - iggy pop
that which does not kill me, makes me stronger. - friedrich nietzsche
1899
if it's popular, then what's it got to do with us? - mens room wall
DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

Lance blames fast food. Callistus Valerius Racing 38 July 22nd 04 07:22 AM
Were you a born " Free Rider" TJ Mountain Biking 1 March 15th 04 09:10 PM
Ghent Six Day Excursion Ilan Vardi Racing 8 November 30th 03 08:03 PM
VDB admits doping...? HB Racing 123 October 9th 03 09:34 PM
Braking while turning [email protected] Techniques 45 August 1st 03 06:56 PM